Dazz
Years ago

Dexter Kernich-Drew update?

Anyone got an update on what he's doing?
He was retained by the Cats as a Training Player last season (you can see him in some of the championship photos.
However I understood he returned to Melbourne to play for Waverly.

I assumed he was being groomed for a bench spot, backing up the 2 or 3, especially since we now have a 6 man bench. But one source I saw had him listed as playing with MU!?!?

(NB: He's too old to be a DP)

Topic #39477 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Currently 25 which is max age

Reply #588798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's playing for Waverly Falcons in the big v, averaging 17 a game

Reply #588901 | Report this post

Timmy  
Years ago

The Wildcats have no interest in boosting DP's. It's just a title to make it look like they are interested in furthering young players careers or looking like they are creating a development pathway. They aren't. They will recruit someone more "ready" or experienced every season.

Hopefully he can pick up a gig somewhere though!

Reply #588960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As they should be ^

Reply #588961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's currently undergoing a trial with Perth.

Reply #588969 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In recent years we've had Greg Hire come through the DP system, and Tom Jervis come through as a Training Player. We've also shown a willingness to pick up young players returning from College, like Greenwood and Wroe.
Not really sure what more you expect them to do?

Reply #588991 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Free agent Dexter Kernich-Drew has spent the week in Perth trialling with the Perth Wildcats.

Kernich-Drew has participated in daily workouts with Wildcats coaching staff both in the gym and on the court.

The 24-year-old sharp-shooter was pleased with what he accomplished over the five days.

"It's been pretty good. Great to see all the coaching staff and front office staff and get some quality workouts in with the guys," he said.

“Basically I just wanted to come out here, give my all and show them that I’m looking to be a part of this program. I’d love to lock in a spot in the NBL.”

Dexter Kernich-Drew spent two stints training with the Wildcats during the 2015/16 season.

The Australian wing-player graduated from Washington State University in 2015 where in his senior season he averaged 6.6 points per game, shooting the three-ball at 43 per cent.

He’ll be looking to join signed Wildcats Damian Martin, Greg Hire, Matt Knight, Jesse Wagstaff, Angus Brandt and Jarrod Kenny on the 2016/17 roster.
Would be great to add his 3-point shooting to the bench

Reply #589059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With reference to last year's roster, who's spot would he take? Wroe I suppose?

Reply #589062 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wroe was a DP, and can remain so with the increase in age-limit.
The problem with last years bench, is that we had 3 forwards, who at best were stretch-4's, trying to back up both the 3 & 4 spots.
And only one guard, Kenny, to back up the 1 & 2.
Bringing in a guy like DKD, could can potentially back up the 2 or 3, makes a lot of sense.

He doesn't actually need to replace anyone, as the bench has now been extended to 6.

So the Squad would look something like this:

Import / Brandt
Knight / Wagstaff
Import / Hire
Import / DKD
Martin / Kenny

with Redhage as the 11th Man.

Reply #589063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I am thrilled he met the front office staff and worked out with everyone he already knew.
Benno it seems he's 24.

Reply #589065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with last years bench blah, blah, blah

It's only a problem when it compromises your goals.

Who won the championship? Oh yeah Perth. Smug.

Reply #589067 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Had he been eligible, he would have been a DP last season.
Yes, they increased the cut-off by a year for this season, but he's kinda gotten a year older in the mean time.

The rule was that a player must be UNDER the age limit as of 30th April in the year of CONCLUSION of the season. The age limit was 24.
The NBL has announced an increase to 25, however I assume the rule is otherwise unchanged.
So a DP must be under 25 on 30th April 2017, for the coming season.

DKD was born in 1991, he will already be 25 by the time this coming season starts. Hence he doesn't qualify.

Reply #589140 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dazz when was that article posted?

DKD has been in Perth since last season and was training with the cats the entire time. He also attended games and sat with other DPs.

If he wasn't a DP he was doing the exact same thing the DPs do.

I've heard what clubs can do is pay players like DKD as a front office staff member, but they still train and do all the team stuff. Nice little loop hole.

I think the 'trial' is just the Wildcats making some news out of nothing.

DKD has a skinny frame, but it will be interesting to see if he gets a roster spot and how he will fit in.

Reply #589157 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Its funny, that article came out just days after I posted the query.
Maybe the Cats are closet readers of this forum?

Yes, he was around last season. Took me a while to put a face to a name, and yes, its one skinny dude. The Cats often keep guys around as "Training Players." Muo was kept around as a TP.
I don't think there's any rule against that, nor against paying them. They even wear the corporate uniform, and sometimes like Muo they might be signed as an injury replacement.

Yeah, talking about a "trial" is a bit weird. He was around plenty last season, I'm sure he met everyone then and trialled plenty.

He then returned to play for Waverly, and I saw one source listed him with MU. Glad to know he's still in contention with the Cats.
I have never seen him play, but on paper he would make an interesting addition to the bench.
(Especially if he can hit the 3's like he did in college.)

Reply #589162 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754