ME
Years ago

Sean Rooks heart attack at 46. Why?

Another relatively young ex-NBAer gone too soon.

My question is why?

Why are fairly fit, relatively young former players dying like this?

Is it something to do with their heart not coping with pushing blood around such a big frame for so long?

This has been recurrent in the NBA for a while now.

Topic #39481 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

From r/nba:

Eric Piatkowski played for the Clippers from 1994-2003. Six of his Clipper teammates have already passed away at a young age

Malik Sealy (1994-97) - Killed by a drunk driver in 2000
Bison Dele (1995-96) - Missing since 2002; presumed to be killed by his brother
Kevin Duckworth (1996-97) - Died of heart failure in 2008
Dwayne Schintzius (1996-97) - Died in 2012 of complications from chronic myelomonocytic leukemia
Lorenzen Wright (1996-99) - Murdered in 2010
Sean Rooks (2000-03) - Died today of a reported heart attack
Not to mention Rodney Rogers (1995-99) being paralyzed due to an dirt bike crash and Lamar Odom (1999-2003) with his recent struggles, that's like 1994 San Diego Chargers level of bizarre and sad.
1994 San Diego Chargers:

3 Heart Attacks (Shawn Lee, 44; Chris Mims, 38; Lewis Bush, 42)
1 Suicide (Junior Seau, 43)
1 Car Crash (David Griggs, 28)
1 Drug Overdose (Curtis Whitley, 39)
1 Plane Crash (Rodney Culver, 26)
1 Lightning Strike (Doug Miller, 28)

Reply #588883 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wow. My interest is more how common heart problems seem to be. But wow - six players from the one team? There must be some superstition they weren't adhering to.

Reply #588884 | Report this post

harryteabagpotter  
Years ago

There was an article a while back about 7fters being more likely to suffer from heart problems.

I can't link right now, although it quoted guys like Larry Bird being quite concerned.

Reply #588885 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Bison Dele (1995-96) - Missing since 2002; presumed to be killed by his brother"

Yeah, gotta watch out for the brothers of players......

Reply #588891 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't even know who Sean Rooks is, so nothing I say is directed at him personally. But here's a couple of general observation:

A lot of players in basketball, (and NFL, ect) are not necessarily superbly fit. They are often big, strong, and heavily muscled, and yes they know how to push themselves up and down the court, but they're not marathon runners.

Have you SEEN the shit Americans eat? A professional athlete burns a tonne of energy, so they can eat crap and still keep to their playing weight. Problem is that their cholesterol is through the roof, which is a huge contributing factor to heart problems.

These guys make a lot of money, and many like to party hard. No slur intended on Mr Rooks, or any other player, but certain recreational drugs are notoriously bad for your heart.

Even athletes that have strictly avoided steroids whilst competing, when they get older and start to lose tone, may look for assistance retaining their muscles. Unfortunately roids are your hearts enemy.

Many of these guys would have huge egos to match their performances. Subconsciously they possibly feel quite invincible, don't like to face up to slowing down with age, and so continue to push themselves too hard and fail to heed the warning signs.

Whilst regular sustained cardio can certainly improve your heart, it doesn't get any bigger.
The biggest problem with obesity is that all that extra fat requires blood, and your heart has to pump that extra. But guess what, building massive muscles also requires more blood pumping.

Contrary to popular misconception, strenuous exercise is not always good for you. People often suffer heart attacks during exercise because they push themselves too hard.
The rule of thumb to determine your MAXIMUM heart rate is to take your age from 220. However a SAFE exercise rate is generally considered to be around 50~70% of your maximum. So the guys screaming and pumping massive amounts of iron, may actually be putting themselves at risk.

Reply #588992 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sadly DAZZ, you have some good points there, I say sadly because it is a sad state these guys can end up in after years of neglecting what their bodies actually need compared with what they are putting into them and doing to them.

Their arteries are more than likely giving up, probably due to a cumulative processed food & high fat intake and who knows what chemicals they may have been taking over their playing days?

Back from college for summer, my kid tells me how they think sugar donuts are a breakfast food over there, blows my mind the stories I hear.

We have our own health issues here too, I am aware of this, however the Western diet driven by the USA is something that has a lot to answer for IMHO...

Reply #588997 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

agreed, I trip out over the crap they serve up for breakfast in the states like cinnamon rolls etc or they eat bacon, eggs, sausages with a huge stack of hotcakes dripping in syrup as a side.

Reply #589075 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He was a fairly healthy looking guy though. He was certainly not like Shaq or Charles Barkley, where it is surprising that they haven't had heart attacks.

Reply #589078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the article I think potter was referencing: http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/14712117/larry-bird-believes-nba-big-men-die-young-right

It's a good read, and aside from noting a lot of the ex-NBAers who've died young, points to a few interesting studies. There's a Spanish one that found men lost 0.7 years of longevity for each centimetre of height above average. I think average is about 180, so on that estimate a 7-footer's life expectancy would be about 23 years less than average. But I haven't read the study itself and I doubt it's a linear trend nor statistically supportable at the extreme end. The article also notes the flat-out rarity of 7-foot tall people, with the awesome piece of trivia that 17% of 7-foot men in America will at some point play in the NBA.

I think Dazz makes a lot of really good points, though. I remember reading something about how hard Jahlil Okafor was working on getting in shape before the 2015 draft, and he said he was eating way better but couldn't give up his fruit loops for breakfast. What??!! And Patty Mills credited a lot of his improvement between (from memory - but whenever it was that Patty went from the chubby guy who couldn't get minutes to a clear 2nd on the Spurs PG depth chart and a finals contributor) 2012 and 2013 to hiring a personal chef.

So the simple answer to the original question would seem to be that the nature of NBA bodies plays a role, and it may be exacerbated by certain American cultural tendencies, but the science doesn't exist to provide any conclusive answers because these people are so rare.

Reply #589083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what do most common breakfast do Australians eat, sugary cereals, even good old weetbix has tonnes of sugar and salt. Or a quick stop to maccas for a hash brown, bacon and egg Mc muffin and a coffee. How many kids do you see chugging on a big can of red bull in the morning?
It's an epidemic in most 1st world countries, would think most of the stars would have a personal chef but enhancing substances and party drugs would nullify those benefits.

Reply #589097 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah but portion sizes and sugar/salt/fat content in the USA are completely different. Our equivalent of a Big Mac meal would be their Happy Meal and so on.

Reply #589098 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Commonly, for brekky I would have any of the following:

Banana
Strawberries
Low sodium baked beans
Sour dough or damper bread
Avocado
Cereal with oats, grain and fruit/nuts
Milk and coffee, plus maybe some orange or orange/mango juice

If I go the mixed grill I make sure there is plenty of cooked tomato...

Pancakes, maple syrup and bacon is nice occasionally but should not be the staple!

Reply #589118 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, forgot eggs, poached eggs are awesome...

Reply #589119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weetbix vs Fruit Loops isn't really a conversation. And as ME pointed out, I'd be pretty confident there's a big difference in portion sizes. Having had a lot to do with very good teenage athletes both here and in the US, I think it's fair to say that neither group eats well, but our kids eat so much better that it's not even funny. What happens after a high school basketball game over there? The kids have pizza or hot dogs, supplied by the boosters. This is not coincidentally-the-perfect-recovery-food-chocolate-milk. This is flat out authority-endorsed junk from 9th grade onwards. And, again only in my experience, our kids don't always eat well. But they have a better understanding of what that phrase means, and easier access to the foods that make it possible.

Yes it's an epidemic in most first world countries, that doesn't mean the US isn't leading the charge. And having a personal chef doesn't help you lose weight if they're cooking bbq ribs and fried chicken. I love food in America but I know that if I ate that way all the time I would turn into a blimp.

Reply #589145 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754