Aussie
Years ago

New Sydney Kings Advert looks awesome!!

It's on the Sydney Kings Facebook page.

Definately worth a look. I think it is brilliant.

Topic #39488 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, well that was pretty slick and I must say a high quality effort that I liked overall, very exciting stuff with a decent narrator.

Things that spoil it just a little bit for me, the references to Kobe, really, don't see the connection?

Also, what about the new coach, no not Gaze but the real coach who has an enormous history of success from the Breakers, yeah that's right the anonymous brains of the outfit, where was he in the video?

Anyway, as I said, overall it was quite a good effort and I liked it, something for the other teams to build on, hopefully...

Reply #589013 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Things that spoil it just a little bit for me, the references to Kobe, really, don't see the connection?"

I think the new owners of the Kings are part-owners of the Lakers.

Reply #589020 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They at least operate Staples Center, not sure if they have any connection to the Lakers specifically.

But the Kings have pretty much always been a Lakers ripoff anyway. The colour scheme isn't a coincidence.

Reply #589027 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Maybe Kobe is on the way to Sydney?

Reply #589028 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From AEG Ogden's media release when taking over the Kings:

AEG Ogden Chairman, Mr Harvey Lister, said it makes sense for the Sydney Kings to secure a long-term home at Allphones Arena, where stability and financial synergies can enable the team to reach its full potential.

"As part of the world's largest owner of sporting franchises, US-based Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which has major ownership stakes in the LA Lakers, LA Kings and LA Galaxy, AEG Ogden’s acquisition of the Sydney Kings is a perfect fit in
a worldwide family of leading sports brands," he said.

My read is the parent company has a stake in the Lakers, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reply #589032 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I think you answered your own question Bear, being anonymous

Reply #589034 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Would love to see a 1 minute edit of this. Felt it dragged on a bit.

But otherwise it's an awesome step in the right direction for the club.

Reply #589037 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, Kings have always been wannabe Lakers. I agree with that much. In a way I wish they'd change their look up a bit as to not look like the Lakers kinda-slow little brother that licks windows.

I also prefer the cursive Kings alternate logo to the traditional one, and I hope it is on the new uniforms.

As for the commercial, it went on for a long time. It was better than 99% of NBL commercials, though. For that I give it credit.

I hear the Kings have 2 imports to unveil VERY soon.

Reply #589046 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Alternate logo?

Reply #589048 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If you look for photos of the recent members gig they did, there was a logo with Kings in cursive which was much simpler and modern. Check out their facebook pics and you'll soon stumble upon it

Reply #589056 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I hear the Kings have 2 imports to unveil VERY soon.

Someone I know who went to the launch said that they were told that there would be more announcements this week and next, so I'm curious to see who they might have gotten... Imports or another good local talent?

Lisch / Cadee
??? / Djeric
Newley / ???
??? / Garlepp / Hill
Jules / ???

Some people who would be close to those in the know on fan groups pages have been saying that there could be something else really big coming up... The key remaining players should really be a guard and a big, both could be imports, but locally, what sort of options are out there?

Motum is on his way back to BrisVegas... Bairstow is running his camp in New Mexico in late June... Maric has been spotted back home...

So much on the wish list still...

Reply #589069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ I'm hearing Maric in the 5, Childress back . Word is Moller was out standing in the Kings testing and playing early in the week as a local.

Reply #589079 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Maric would be awesome in the NBL!!

Reply #589094 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Kobe could play in Australia. Give him something to do whilst the kids are seeing their swimming coaches

Reply #589114 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not sure if this discussion should be moved elsewhere, but I'll leave that to Isaac to decide :)

I'm hearing Maric in the 5, Childress back . Word is Moller was out standing in the Kings testing and playing early in the week as a local.

I would love all that to happen, but I still have a case of the realisticality where I can't see how that could work? From cap, to positions to well, everything...

#1 - Maric and Jules... IF Maric coming back is true, how does this work? Reports from the launch function the other night saying that he will be back on court by August, but it's not like he's really a flexible player... They wouldn't trip over each other inside with Jules playing a lot outside the key (for better or worse) but they're both starting quality 5s...

I haven't seen much of Maric's time overseas recently, from what I read from a PnR article on his last move he will probably relish being a key player again after a lot of time coming off the bench, but am curious to hear if others have an opinion on whether his style of play will suit the NBL? Definitely a stronger inside force, which the Kings desperately need, definitely not a lumbering sort like Nevill was, a bit more capable of getting up and down the court and still bang inside, I'm assuming?

So do they use Jules as the back up 5? That sounds crazy, really... even though he wasn't the level of player that he was before he last went away, it still doesnt' fit...

#2 - Chill coming back... I think a lot of people have just assumed that he won't, but with the players we've got already, maybe he could see this as a chance to actually be a part of a winning team after putting in a couple of seasons with some really bad team results? He could start at the 4 if we still have Newls at the 3, he still rebounds strong, nearly league leading at his peak and this could really free him up... But cash... this ties into a later point about marquee talent and cap level but still... Maybe the owners don't mind blowing the soft cap out of the water?

#3 - So positions and marquee rules...

????? / Cadee
Lisch / Djeric
Newls / ???
Chill / Garlepp / Hill
Maric / Jules

Assuming that we get an import for PG or SG, that's a bit over the top isn't it? I made comments about Illawarra having a "big 3" last season and putting all their eggs and cash into that basket, but this is easily a Big 4, if not 5 if Jules is close 100% and comes out firing...

Why not for shits and giggles have Holt in at PG under the Asian rule? It all just seems a bit unrealistic... Don't get me wrong... after the last few seasons since they've come back, I could do with some GOOD unrealistic stuff...

Someone will need to refresh my memory on marquee talent... Allowed up to 4, but with the first one taking up $150K, each consecutive one is $50K extra? Even with that, surely the team will be paying a bunch of "tax"?

How sustainable would this be? This is Jules' last year of contract, Tommy & Jason both re-signed for two, Newls and Aussie Kev signed for 3...

Reply #589128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect this to be Jules last season with the Kings. Before his injury he just didn't play with any toughness or leadership only laziness particularly when things get hard!

Reply #589134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754