Anonymous
Years ago

Ball Up Australia tour - Cancelled

Heard the remaining Ball Up games have been cancelled. Has anyone else heard this?

Topic #39509 | Report this topic

GTS  
Years ago

Cairns event was cancelled last weekend

Reply #589353 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The word is that is they are 'postponing the tour' until November, to complete the remaining 5 games.

The marketing and organisation was all left far too late and the timing up against SEABL and state leagues meant the best locals were unavailable.

Reply #589359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was never meant to be run with seabl players competing againt the Ball UP players. They knew exactly what seabl teams were playing and where and their rosters.
Certainly November was an option pre the tour starting and with Visa problems in getting their players here, it's been far from thebest of tours.
I personally spoke to one player who took the best part of 3 days to get here.
Far from ideal. Injuries and poor preparation are certainly a factor if the rumour is true.

Reply #589361 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

What were the crowds like? The Perth one was played at Perth Arena, but it seems like this event would have been more suited at Challenge Stadium. Just doesn't sound that professional or appealing as a big event (even to the younger audience and families).

Could be wrong. Just basing this from what I've read here!

Reply #589365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth attendance was horrible. 3/4 of the stadium was curtained off. I'm a massive basketball fan and will go to pretty much any event... but this ball up tour dosent appeal to me one bit. 3 games in Melbourne and I will not be going to any, it just does not interest me the 1 bit. it's like the globetrotters, they will do a few tricks a few dunks and play against a sloppy team. plus prices are high

Reply #589368 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The Globetrotters are at least a famous well known brand, that have been around for years and still going strong. Their entertainment is purely for families, kids etc. I'd put them more as a circus type of show rather than a basketball game. They know what they're trying to achieve and the audience knows what they are and what to expect.

The Ball Up thing just seems to lack a bit of polish. I get that it's streetball, but can't imagine too many parents keen to take their kids to see this. Can see why the NBL doesn't want to be linked to this even for cross-promotion purposes.

Reply #589369 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

They're hitting venue's that are WAY too big.

The Sydney show has been postponed

Reply #589374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its the And 1 mixtape re done, with some of the same players, they're just older, doesn't have the same lustre it did some years ago, even stratal isn't the same.

Reply #589375 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Never even heard of it, you would thing they would have the local clubs involved (ie Wildcats to promote) but never heard a thing. Might of gone along if it was promoted better.

What was it anyway ?

Reply #589376 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

What a balls up

Reply #589377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks anonymous. It was indeed and And1 rebrand.
Who the hell is stratal?
No one hid from the rebrand and after 10+ years maybe it was a good idea. Certainly the arena choice is poor. Press poor because no one was here early.

Reply #589380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnC8quf9j8

watch that basically all it is

Reply #589429 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

They should have played it on the streets/playgrounds like they do in the states...complete with a DJ, BBQ's, competitions (go 1 on 1 with the professor) etc...would have a better feel and appeal to it then I reckon.

Reply #589431 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Re: #589429

Seriously! They want you to pay for that shite? Was the 'local' team instructed not to defend? Was the main tactic seriously to bore the defence to sleep before making a simple drive to the basket?

I have never seen a less disruptive more stagnant defence at D-grade social level to make these guys look half competent.

Reply #589437 | Report this post

Master Debator  
Years ago

Problem is no one wants to play D cause there fearful they will get crossed up

Reply #589443 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I saw it for free so I didn't mind. If I had forked out 30 bucks for it I probably would have been underwhelmed. I agree that it should have been played in the parks where it belongs. That way the small crowds of 1000 wouldn't look so small.

Reply #589446 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Perhaps the use of local teams is the problem.

They shouldn't fear getting their ankles broken, people are paying to see that happen and the reason why they are on the court in the first place.

I think Tornado hits it on the head.

Reply #589447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only way I heard of it was a Hoops reader/poster from Perth mentioning it. No idea why they didn't contact me about advertising, run some ticket giveaways, etc? Pretty cheap way of hitting the target market.

Reply #589619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The had a DJ with them and an injured professor.

Reply #589636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754