Ricey
Years ago

D Rose to New York in Multi-Player Deal

Derrick Rose and Justin Holiday, and a second round pick in 2017 traded to NYC for Lopez, Calderon, Grant.

Wow. Didn't see this coming.

Last year on deal, so this will be his make or break season if he wants to secure a good deal. Big pay off if he stays healthy, but huge flop if he goes down again.

Does this put Knicks in the race for Durant now more than ever?

Topic #39533 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

A few on r/NBA are wondering if the Knicks might grab Dwight too. Would give them Rose, Melo, Dwight and Porzingis.

Reply #589777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, that's a terrible trade.

(Injury prone)Rose is not what he used to be and Howard is a cancer to any team.

Reply #589778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the mighty have fallen, who would have thought in his mvp season he'd ever be traded for the less talented Lopez twin and a couple of scrubs. Even the Teague/Hill trade involved a lottery pick.

Reply #589780 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Pretty low risk deal for the Knicks in my opinion. They gave up next to nothing to get him and he's on an expiring contract.

If he gets injured again or doesn't produce they let him walk at the end of the season and save over $20m in cap space.

If he produces anything like what he's capable of it's going to be huge for them.

I've got no idea what the Bulls were thinking with this deal.

Reply #589782 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Excellent move by Chicago.

Knicks clearly the only team in the league silly enough to take that body & contract on.

Its a win for the Bulls. Only way they could have got better was to have turned that second rounder into a first.

Surely spells the end of Gasol and Noah's tenure at the club also

Reply #589785 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

How's this remotely a bad trade?

You get Rose on an expiring contract, who is still a valuable trade piece at worst. If he's healthy and plays smart, he adds huge value to the team. Not to mention he will be able to help bring in other solid pieces.

Bulls get a piece to cover Noah if he leaves. Which is what I assume they wanted to get, and some cap space for next year at worse.

As for Howard, he could be a good signing for the right money. I'm just worried he gets max if he comes to NYC, which ruins us

Reply #589795 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Why on Earth would Durant go to New York? That makes zero sense given he can get the biggest contract $-wise at OKC and stay with a team that was 1 game from the NBA finals.

Durant doesn't necessarily crave the limelight, he's more than happy in a smaller market - provided he's in a good basketball position, which he obviously is in OKC. Westbrook is getting better by the year, Adams is working his way to becoming a beast and Ibaka, although coming off a down year, is still a pretty good talent. If OKC can grab a couple of smaller pieces in free agency, it's still a team far and away in a better position to contend now than NY.

New York is still a while away from being a contender. If Rose stays healthy they'll be back in the playoffs next season, but that's a big if.

Reply #589796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westbrook will probably bolt to the Lakers next season

Reply #589807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Durant's wording after OKC was ousted seemed a bit cagey to me. Wonder if he's wanting to get away from Westbrook?

Reply #589812 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't think so. KD has been pretty vocal in defence of critics of Westbrook (eg. Cuban's an idiot comment..). They've been together a long time, I don't think that can be under-rated.

I can see Westbrook going to the Lakers when he becomes a free agent for sure, which is another reason why I see them getting back together for one more run next season.

Reply #589819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westbrook is Harden on Steroids interms of being a ball hog. Harden atleast sometimes tries to get his teammates involved and is a better ISO player then Westbrook. Durant has probably has had enough of his antics.

Westbrooks shot selection is unbeliveble.

Reply #589825 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

He led the league in assists with 11 a game. Not bad for someone who supposedly doesn't get his teammates involved.

I agree at times his shot selection can be iffy, but he's not a ball-hog and he certainly gets his teammates involved.

Reply #589830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highest usage rate of the season. He's a ball hog who passes. They can be mutual

Reply #589832 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Sorry mate, just not buying what you're selling there. OKC was one game off the NBA finals and Westbrook was a HUGE part of that.

Reply #589840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've been together a long time, I don't think that can be under-rated.

I can see Westbrook going to the Lakers when he becomes a free agent for sure
Wait, so does their time together matter, or will one of them break the partnership? Sounds like you're arguing for both there.

Is RWB splitting from Durant more likely than the reverse?

Reply #589843 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It's not about the limelight, it's about MSG. The basketball Mecca of the world. Anyone who says that doesn't make a dent in their decision making is talking bullshit. Every player wants to play there, and every player wants to call it home. Whether they decide to or not is another thing.

Time will tell what happens, but the Knicks are in a strong position to build this time into a serious contender this offseason with one or two more strong signings. Hopefully the backup PG would be Delly too, if not just for his work ethic he could help bring to the team

Reply #589846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is a dude with no knees a strong signing

Reply #589853 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm talking more from the idea that Durant has to get away from Westbrook in order to succeed - or that somehow they can't co-exist together. I think in that context, their time together means something with regards to KD re-signing (for next season).

That doesn't mean they'll spend the rest of their careers together, it's very rare these days for 2 absolute superstars to spend their whole careers with one franchise.

Westbrook has very close ties to LA - his recent donation to UCLA etc. Plus, he seems a guy who thrives on being in the limelight. That's why I said I could see him going there when he hits free agency.

That said, after OKC's moves today, anything is possible. They might just stick there and form a pretty formidable team with Adams, Oladipo etc..

Reply #589910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754