HO
Years ago

BigV pathway to #1 Pick

If I am right, Ben Simmons played 11 minutes in BigV for Bulleen at some stage?

But never played SEABL? Or did he play at COE at some stage? Someone should confirm this.

Whatever, its time we recognised BigV Championship as the official Australian second tier development pathway to being NBA #1 Draft pick.

I have no idea what all those hopefuls are doing running around in SEABL and QBL etc.

Topic #39547 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me google that for you:

He played for the AIS

Reply #589937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox raiders junior

Reply #589939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OH, HO you are very funny!

Reply #589941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from memory he played about 8 games in Big V for Bulleen and averaged about 16pts and 8 boards one season when he was home in between school years in the US

Reply #589942 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Yer played a bunch of SCM games with them as he wanted to play with Corey Standerfer who is his half brother?

Reply #589944 | Report this post

Squad8.com.au  
Years ago

Playing Big V officially would destroy your college eligibility, so I would be surprised if his folks let him play. Nevertheless, if you work hard and get the right tools, mentors and exposure, you can make it anywhere!

Reply #589960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Squad 8 care to explain how playing bigv while still in high school would 'destroy' your eligibility?
Once in college at d1 level yes. Otherwise, no.

Reply #589961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing neither bigV or SRABL will prevent a college career unless you get paid to play .... And as far as stating BigV is the second tier development for NBA draught, I'm sure your joking but in case your not .... You have to be joking lol

Reply #589968 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ho is being tongue in cheek, rest assured, however @Squad8 is ill informed.

Prior to going to US college you can play Big V, SEABL or in fact NBL, as long as you are not paid.

When you go to an NCAA US college as a D2 or lower you can also continue doing this, however D1 players are not allowed to play anything above domestic ball, no semi-pro, pro or Big V equivalent for those kids.

Doesn't mean they can't train with a SEABL squad etc..., just means they can't play for the time they are at a D1 college in the NCAA.

Reply #590014 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

My previous post wrt NCAA amateurism rules has disappeared?? It was intended to shed a bit more light on these NCAA rules.

In the interests of reducing misinformation on this topic, and college bound students being found ineligible, I urge all those interested in playing BigV and/or SEABL and intending to compete in the NCAA to read the rules. NCAA manuals are found online.

Bear above is not quite right, and may mislead kids into thinking they are ok when they may not be (it does happen and college dreams terminated).

Bear wrote: "Prior to going to US college you can play Big V, SEABL or in fact NBL, as long as you are not paid".

True, but it also applies to all post secondary courses outside of the US - if you enrol full-time in a tertiary course and play BigV you will lose your amateur status - even if you are not paid! For example, if you finish high school in November, start full-time uni in March and play BigV then you lose your amateur status and no College therafter.

"When you go to an NCAA US college as a D2 or lower you can also continue doing this (sic play Big V etc), however D1 players are not allowed to play anything above domestic ball, no semi-pro, pro or Big V equivalent for those kids"
- this is incorrect - D2 is the same as D1.

From the NCAA D2 manual: 12.2.3.2 Competition With Professionals. Following initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual shall not be eligible for intercollegiate athletics in a sport, if the individual competed on a professional athletics team (per Bylaw 12.02.6) in that sport.

It is pretty clear, both D1&D2, you cannot play BigV/SEABL/NBL once you have started full-time tertiary studies.

Reply #590049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ if that is the case their are a few of them breaking the rules , especially in the women's SEABL and bigv

Reply #590065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ColCon, that relies on the BigV being determined as a professional league, which it is not.

If you are at a D2, the colleges are okay if you play Youth League or Big V as a fill in player because it isn't a pro league.

Also you have introduced additional criteria by including the fact that someone can't enroll in university courses here after you leave High School to remain eligible under NCAA rules, which is clearly something people have to check into, like many other things.

Heaps of D2 kids playing in the Big V during their college break, seems to be a non issue for them!

Reply #590072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons played big v in 2013 and I was at a couple of the games so I can verify this. Long before he started at LSU

Reply #590075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Professional Athletics Team

A professional team is any organized team that: (Revised: 1/13/03 effective 8/1/03)

(a) Provides any of its players more than actual and necessary expenses for participation on the team, except as otherwise permitted by NCAA legislation. Actual and necessary expenses are limited to the following, provided the value of these items is commensurate with the fair market value in the locality of the player(s) and is not excessive in nature:

(1) Meals directly tied to competition and practice held in preparation for such competition;

(2) Lodging directly tied to competition and practice held in preparation for such competition;

(3) Apparel, equipment and supplies;

(4) Coaching and instruction;

(5) Health/medical insurance;

(6) Transportation (i.e., expenses to and from practice and competition, cost of transportation from home to training/practice site at the beginning of the season and from training/practice site to home at the end of season);

(7) Medical treatment and physical therapy;

(8) Facility usage;

(9) Entry fees; and

(10) Other reasonable expenses; or (Revised: 1/12/04, 4/28/05);

(b) Declares itself to be professional.

Reply #590083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't look like the Big V would be a problem at all as the vast majority of players would not receive any of these benefits, especially at youth league level where they all pay to play.

Reply #590085 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

Anon083 has posted the relevant rule above:

" a) Provides any of its players more than actual and necessary expenses"

- the key here is that ANY player in the team is paid more than the allowed expenses. It only takes one player to be paid and the team is "professional" and if you have started full-time uni then amateur status is lost. If any player in a BigV team is paid more than expenses then the team is "professional". There would be BigV team without a paid player which would be ok but returning College players need to be very careful and make sure of this. They should not assume it is ok because it is BigV.

Anon072 wrote:
"@ColCon, that relies on the BigV being determined as a professional league, which it is not".
- it is the team, not the league, that determines if it is "professional" in the eyes of the NCAA.

Also, "you have introduced additional criteria by including the fact that someone can't enroll in university courses here after you leave High School to remain eligible under NCAA rules".

- A player cannot start full time tertiary course anywhere in the world and play on a "professional" team and remain eligible. Part-time uni in ok but not fulltime. This rule applies to D1, D2 and D3. Fill-in makes no difference. Youth League I believe is ok as no-one being paid (that I have heard of??)

If D2 kids are playing Big V in their break then they had better check there is no paid player on the team (or is there an exception in the rules somewhere that allows this??- which I am not aware of).

Just because players are doing it doesn't mean they will be ok in the future - the NCAA does check players backgrounds and a player does not want to be the first to be pinged by the NCAA and have their College ended.
Hope this helps.

Reply #590105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work @ColCon, clearing up some important facts.

Reply #590106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754