Wookiee
Years ago

Kings announce Aleks Maric signing

So Kings have posted to "Watch this space" on the social medias...

Hopefully it's not just a bench player... rumoured that it could be Aleks Maric but a long shot, Bairstow is flying back to Oz, they could be accosting him at the airport?

Topic #39559 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Wouldnt he have to be waived first by the Pistons? Money has to be on Aleks Maric!

Reply #590148 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I would say it's Maric.

Question is, how good is he these days?

Reply #590150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I believe it to be Maric

Reply #590151 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Saw Maric out in Sydney 2 weeks ago.

Reply #590152 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Just announced as Maric. Geez, the Kings are looking good next season.

Reply #590156 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Aleks Maric and Julian Khazzouh on one team? Wow that's a good frontline if they gel together. With every signing it looks like Chill won't be back which is upsetting. I'm not even a Kings it's just good to see an import as good as him remain in our league.

Reply #590161 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Chill had a player option from what I remember? But from a $$$ perspective I'd be shocked if they brought him back - assuming he even wants to come back after a couple of tough years.

Reply #590162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie - I suspect a lot of people are going to under value this signing.

Maric is a legit 6'10 -6'11 120kg post presence. I think he will be fairly dominant post in the NBL. Think Jawaii minus 15-20kgs and a bit more mobile.

Reply #590166 | Report this post

TimeTravelingGoat  
Years ago

Maric is about as mobile as a chest of drawers.

Reply #590167 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And a chest of drawers are a bit more mobile than Nate Jawai..

Reply #590168 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

If Kings slow the tempo down he will certainly be handy in the half court.

Reply #590170 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can you play Khazzouh and Maric together though? A few teams have tried the 'twin towers' approach in the NBL in recent history, without a lot of success. Khazzouh has some range, but won't exactly be the most mobile frontcourt around on either end of the court.

Reply #590175 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

You wouldn't play them together for long stretches, they probably both start with an early sub for one, both playing starters minutes. You would always have at least one of them on the court so always have a post threat, IMO.

Reply #590185 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Maric has also been called into the Boomers squad as an injury replacement for Bogut.

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/aleks-maric-called-boomers-squad-rio/

Reply #590188 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Maric is probably better suited to a slower tempo game than that which is played in the NBL.

He will struggle to defend more mobile bigs who can shoot from enough range to allow them to take him off the dribble. Cant see how he and JK can play together as JK also has similar issues on D. He is also not a known scorer in the post.

He will bring a wealth of experience and solid rebounding and is a nice insurance policy if JK doesn't recover but his impact will around that of a slightly better version of Tom Jervis IMO.

Don't think he is worth big $$$.

Reply #590207 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Funny, people said all the exact same things about Jawai coming to the Cats.
And that won them a 'ship.

Maric may be a bit old and slow, but he's still a beast.

And why would this spell the end for Chilly? With two big units up front, you need a guy like him in the 3.

Kings are looking legitimately scary for this season. Lets just hope Gaze can keep his big mouth shut and let Vickerman do his job.

Reply #590210 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Jawai is and always was a much better post scorer and passer than Maric. Far quicker and far more explosive. The big question over Jawai has been his fitness level and Perth had the depth to cover that very well.

Reply #590214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good assessment ftsos, his strengths are pick and roll offence and rebounding at both ends, his weaknesses are post offence, getting up and down the court, defending bigger players and defending quicker players.

If Sydney can hide him reasonably well defensively and utilise his ball-screen game well he will provide them with a good 20 minutes per night and some big rebounding games. Have no doubt oppo guards are licking their lips at Aleks defending the on-ball though.

Reply #590229 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

What do people think about Maric making the Boomers squad filling in for Bogut? Does it mean they expect Bogut to stay out? Is it a smart move? Does he have a realistic shot of making the team?

Reply #590233 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think it's a big signing as much as Khazzouh likes to shoot the three and having a legitimate rebounding option to grab the board is huge as you can't trust Garlepp to get you a rebound.... EVER!

As for Childress there is a spot left for him in Illawarra (he can still do his Sydney business) but I think it is more likely that we see Sydney mainly play a 7 or even 8 man rotation and come playoffs time it will ultimately kill them

Reply #590236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz, these new Kings owners are cashed up!

Reply #590261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope they jake good player choices. Most so far are great add a few impor5s and look out.

Reply #590265 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

ME - the article suggests he's an insurance policy: "However his Rio chances will be subject to the recovery of Andrew Bogut, who is still hopeful of representing Australia this year."

Presumably he'll be in the training camp next week and competing with the other bigs (Andersen, Bairstow, Baynes, Jawai) for a spot in the team that travels to South America before the Olympics start.

If Bogut declares himself fit and willing to risk Zika virus before the Olympics start, one big in the travelling team would be replaced by him.

Reply #590271 | Report this post

Waston  
Years ago

Maric is a great signing for rebounds and inside toughness which Khazzou is too soft to give the team.

Reply #590368 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Top 4.

Reply #590371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754