Larry
Years ago

for the refs - an interesting scenario

was recently watching a game on line.

Any refs out there able to give their interpretation ?

team A were inbounding from the endline after team B scored a 2pt field goal.

Team A player was running the endline to create a better passing angle (within the rules).

Team B defending on the line reaches over line enough for the ref to blow whistle to warn the player for reaching over end line.

Team A can now only take 2 steps either way (after whistle can no longer run end line) - can not get a passing angle, turn ball over and team B score 2 pts.

In my opinion Team B should be tech fouled with no warning - as by causing game to stop, team A have been disadvantaged.

Topic #39561 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can team A only move 2 steps after whistle? They have not violated, team B has not violated. It is a warning only, presumably delay of game. Technicalonly if team B make contact or repeat stepping/reaching over line. Team A can still run baseline.

Reply #590173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Technically if team b does that its a tech.

Reply #590174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team A should have just run the baseline again, they wouldn't have been pulled up on it.

Reply #590176 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here is another scenario I am interested to see what people think.

Coached a game last Saturday and in the first quarter one of my players held onto the ring after a dunk as players were underneath him.

Apparently the ref gave him a warning but no other player nor myself were aware of this.

In the 4th quarter another of my players did dunk and held on and immediately got a Tech foul.

I questioned the ref and he told me he warned the players in the first quarter.

When I asked who it was he said number 12

I then commented that he did not make it know to other players nor myself and all he did was wave his hand as if to say too bad.

My belief is he stuffed up and I would interested to know if the Refs Evaluator at the game made mention of it and I thought no point asking him about the decision as I probably would not have got an answer as he would have been looking after the refs back.

Reply #590332 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Generous giving any warning - ask the stadium managers. Most rings are not designed to withstand that and many have warnings of ejection for hanging on rings. Juniors are frequently warned and if coaches are not aware they have not been very observant.

Reply #590340 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Never expect a ref to explain a decision that may have been wrong. It's a VERY rare ref that has the self confidence to do that. It's a really GOOD ref who will take the time to explain a decision to you, and usually not in the heat of the moment. Try asking them nicely, after the game, to explain.

I used to be very cranky with what I thought were poor ref decisions. Then I became a ref. What I learned to say is this: "I may have made a mistake. It happens. I apologise if I got it wrong. Please think about how many mistakes you made during the game, and remember that we (refs) have to call every play. It's only natural that we'll make some bad decisions, too."

Ok, I still get a little cranky with poor ref decisions.

You've probably had as many bad decisions go your way as against you, and I'll bet you didn't try to correct the refs, then. :)

Try to get clarification from a head ref, or a local ref coach about the rules, if needs be.

Reply #590347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On one hand you could ask your players not to hold onto the ring when they dunk, however I can see that in some cases when players are underneath you it may be necessary to hang on for a second or two.

Being warned is okay, but technicals or ejections should only occur if it is obviously hanging on for no valid reason.

Referees rarely apologise or admit to mistakes, I agree, however recently I had the pleasure of observing a make official in Melbourne do exactly that. A kid got a clean block but the official blew his whistle too early and in the end gave a foul which was wrong. While the player taking free throws was lining up the official came up the the kid he fouled and said he got that one wrong.

To the kid's credit he just replied that things happen and they got on with it, but credit to both of them in the heat of a game that was only a 4 point result in the end, showing great sportsmanship and respect.

Reply #590384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754