Michelle
Years ago

Opals 2016 Rio Team

Ok so with the announcement days away, who is going to make the team out of the 15 players remaining????

3 to be dropped!

I hope someone has a very tight leash on Brendan Joyce!

Topic #39607 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce will probably go...
Not me though.

Phillips/Mitchell/lavey
Taylor/ebzery
Talbot/jarry
Hodges/burton/tolo
Cambage/batkovic

Reply #591041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^i would say that's about right, no way would he be leaving Lavey and Buryon behind,

Reply #591050 | Report this post

JK  
Years ago

I really don't understand why people don't like Lavey, she's quite simply the third best pure point guard we have and unlike Mitchell she has the height to guard both guard spots. She has show great leadership for both the opals and the lynx where she was voted captain at 22. In previous tournaments (london) we have lacked playmaking and if the SEQ no point guard experiment showed any thing its that Jarry and Allen can create their own shot and no one elses. She's there for defense and to set up the offense who else would you pick?

Reply #591053 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

I agree I think Lavey has proven herself and deserves her spot on the team! It's probably not a good look for the kid at no fault of her own that Joyce has put her as a favourite and made it so obvious!
For a kid she goes good and seems to have a great attitude!

Reply #591056 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think it's more that people see her a squad member but not necessarily a rotation player. And I think they believe she is good but not outstanding yet. Her defence is also questionable. However, she isn't far off it. I think it was more that at the time that she was selected (a few years back) people were surprised.
Allen and Jarry are definitely not creators.

Reply #591071 | Report this post

dj_mumbles  
Years ago

The problem with Joyce's bias is that he uses defense to support it.

Lavey and Burton are always described as elite defensive players although they didn't really move the needle defensively for their wnbl team. It was Laney and Tomlinson that made a difference on that end as far as on/off numbers go.

I'm a fan of Lavey and how she has developed since 2014.

Reply #591075 | Report this post

Manoftheworld  
Years ago

Why are so many against Joyce as coach? Every coach, men's, women's, juniors has a favourite go to player, someone he can rely on to follow instructions. From what I see Joyce has defied convention by successfully taking a new crop of players and making a statement at international level. Is he arrogant, probably but has he failed yet, no. So until he does lets get of his back and support him.

Reply #591082 | Report this post

dj_mumbles  
Years ago

For me it goes back to his days as the Blaze coach where he became a very divisive figure (google hoops.com.au s0j).

Also compared to Lemanis we have no idea who his favourites are.

Reply #591085 | Report this post

Manoftheworld  
Years ago

If by being divisive you mean challenging the old ways then for me that's a good thing.

Australian basketball needs change and needs to be challenged if it is to drag itself out of the doldrums and to have innovation and someone prepared to lead rather than follow is a great start. Until he actually fails I don't see how we can criticise

Reply #591089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If by being divisive you mean challenging the old ways then for me that's a good thing."

I'm pretty sure picking a team based on coach's favourites isn't "challenging the old ways", amirite Carrie Graf.

They all deserve to be called on it, every time.

Reply #591093 | Report this post

lorenzo  
Years ago

The thing that annoyed me was that when they were in europe he didn't give HIS fringe players courttime to make their case for selection.

I'm sure Rebbecca Allen went back to The Liberty cause she can see the writing on the wall.

Francis,the best rebounder in the WNBL and a big that can shoot 3's got no courttime and she played well in the World's.

Wnbl MVP Batkovic again minimal time.

We lost the last 3 games anyway, give them some time to prove themselves and be fair about the selection process.

Reply #591102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely Lorenzo..
It was almost made to look like Francis and batkovic stats were similar to burton eventhough she played 15 mins more a game and even then didn't do as well.

Reply #591125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing whispers that Suzy hasn't been selected.... I know she is no longer young, but would think she has plenty to offer to this group. Has been successful on world stage, bake to play a role in this team, leadership and experience is invaluable, especially woithout LJ now... Might be a beat up, really hope so.

Reply #591150 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

I would think she would have garnered more respect then to be led by the nose this long in the process to be let go.

Reply #591153 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

If the WNBL MVP cannot make the Olympic team some questions need to be asked!

Reply #591154 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

If Burton is in over Batkovic....

My god.

Reply #591156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there are rumours Batkovic didn't make the final cut, does that mean the team has been notified already? In that case, I reckon we should find out quite soon.

Reply #591158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I would think she would have garnered more respect then to be led by the nose this long in the process to be let go."

I thought they'd do better by Snell too but we saw how that played out.

Reply #591159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team has known for a few days, I believe. Announcement today or tomorrow?

Reply #591163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've heard the team found out on Sunday and it will probably be announced today (Tues).

Reply #591164 | Report this post

dj_mumbles  
Years ago

Suzy "crossed" Brendan by pulling out of the World Champs in 2014 and missed those 6 crucial games.

It obvious she was never really in contention for a spot and was there in case Liz got hurt or Tolo didn't make it back in time.

Reply #591168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team announced:

Cambage
Tolo
George
Talbot
Jarry
Burton
Ebzery
Lavey
Mitchell
Hodges
Taylor
Phillips

Reply #591177 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Most of those players I expected to make it! Though I expected Burton to make it with Joyce's love for her but my god I do not for the life of me understand how she makes these teams, so many better and more consistent players, that have proved themselves overseas and in WNBL! How does Batkovic not make this team? She's the reigning WNBL MVP where she recieved that award over players like Burton who make the team.

Hope the girls go well at the Olympics but some decision I don't think I will ever understand.

Reply #591179 | Report this post

Lorenzo  
Years ago

Well it's a good team.
It was pretty obvious these would be his players.
Now let's cracking on :)

Reply #591180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to congratulate those selected, not question decisions. There are always winners and losers and we will never know all of the reasons behind them... Such an exciting time for all who get to play for our country and a medal is a realistic goal. Would give anything to have had this chance!

Reply #591187 | Report this post

dani  
Years ago

It would be good if they could play against. I know who my money would be on.

Abby Bishop
Belinda Snell
Rebecca Allen
Kelsey Griffin
Tess Madgen
Jenna O'Hea
Sarah Blicavs
Kelly Wilson
Elyse Penaluna
Alice Kunek
Maddy Garrick
Suzy Batkovic

Reply #591188 | Report this post

Lorenzo  
Years ago

It's nice to be in the position that like the US we could field another team like yours Dani and they would be just as good.
Brendan is consistent and strong willed and there's nothing the rest of us can say that will sway him.
He obviously is convinced he's right.
Good luck to the team.

Reply #591194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well time will tell won't it, he does not have a good track record for success really, but everyone will know soon enough,

Reply #591267 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No too many surprises in this team, nine players returning from the dominant 2014 side, Cambage in for Richards, Ebzery in for Snell and Talbot in for Allen.

Shame to see Bec out (she seemed to be a big part of the defensive plans with her length) but great for Katie and Steph.

Reply #591268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's nice to be in the position that like the US we could field another team like yours Dani and they would be just as good."

That's really not true.

Reply #591272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ it sure isn't.

This team goes as far as Penny & Liz can take it in the face of Joyce's selections and coaching.

Reply #591273 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754