Isaac
Years ago

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Huge legacy as a winning contributor to a single franchise. Model player.

SAN ANTONIO (July 11, 2016) - San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan today announced that he will retire after 19 seasons with the organization. Since drafting Duncan, the Spurs won five championships and posted a 1,072-438 regular season record, giving the team a .710 winning percentage, which is the best 19-year stretch in NBA history and was the best in all of the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB over the last 19 years.

Originally selected by the Spurs as the first overall pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, Duncan helped San Antonio reach the playoffs in each of his 19 seasons and became the only player in league history to start and win a title in three different decades. The Silver and Black won at least 50 games the last 17 seasons, the longest streak in league history, and posted at least a .600 winning percentage in each of Duncan's 19 seasons, an all-time record for most consecutive seasons with a .600 win percentage in the four major U.S. sports.
Full NBA announcement including a huge list of accolades and records.

Kobe goes with the victory lap. Duncan goes with a press release on the league site.

Topic #39611 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legend!!!

Reply #591160 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Of course he was going to announce his retirement like this. Unfortunately you could see his time was up against OKC in the playoffs.

I never liked the Spurs but The Big Fundamental goes down as the greatest power forward to ever play the game. In fact if you were starting a franchise would you take many players ahead of Duncan? Don't really need to talk about his basketball skills as they speak for themselves but an outstanding character and locker room presence and his longevity has been incredible. Been mentioned many times but the fact that he let Pop yell at him set the example for the other players being allowed to be held to account and be fully coached. No egos and no prima donnas and Duncan was a major factor in driving the culture of the Spurs.

Reply #591161 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Could he be considered the best player to ever be played with? Not as an individual, but the most important to a team itself over his career? It seems each season anyone who played with him just improved tenfold and changed their career.

Will be sad to not have him in the league. Hopefully the Spurs retain him as a coach of some kind, as I think he would be invaluable to the organisation.

Reply #591162 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A legacy player, franchise player, future Hall of Fame and so humble that even the great Bill Russell probably respects him as much as he respects Bill.

And there in lies the true spirit of the man, a player no one would love more to play with than, a guy who always put 'team first' into action, not just treating it as words uttered by others and my favourite player of all time!

The game will miss him, but those coming through can at least learn from him, be inspired by him and like him they can perhaps continue to show high respect for a game that has given so much to them...

Reply #591165 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Pretty happy I have been lucky enough to watch the big fundamental play twice, once against the Celtics in Boston and then against the Warriors in Oakland.
An amazing player and person who younger guys should be looking to emulate.

Reply #591170 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Bear, you put it beautifully.

It's his time to go, but Jeez I'll miss him. He was the ultimate team player.

Reply #591173 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As a Spur fan

<3 Timmy Forever

Reply #591175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I shed tears even though it was coming

Reply #591248 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It was coming for like a decade

Reply #592662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost like your comment KET

Reply #592704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754