Isaac
Years ago

Lemanis speaks about Newley omission

Roy Ward has a story up about the selections.

"It's one of the hardest things I've ever been through coming up with 12 players for Rio," Lemanis said.

"Having conversations with very good players and long servants of Australian basketball that they haven't made the Olympic roster was tough but I'm really comfortable with where we have landed.

"Our flexibility and our ability to disrupt defensively up the floor is really served well with who we have selected."
Full story

Topic #39614 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

If Martin had the same impact on the game internationally as he does domestically, I'd agree with the decision 100%. Really haven't ever seen that from him when he's wearing the Green and Gold, though.

Reply #591230 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Damian hasn't been given many chances... We will get a bit of a joke at what he offers tonight

Reply #591240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the games televised?

Reply #591242 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

On Fox Sports

Reply #591247 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know, but I'm guessing that when you get to picking 11 & 12 for an Olympic tournament, you're looking at guys to potentially play a very specific role, rather than just somebody who was the "3rd Best SG" available.

Martin and Lisch, at their best, are incredible defensive players. Nobody expects Martin to be playing 20 minutes a game, but maybe he gets a a minute here and there to disrupt and aggravate a flowing offense.

Reply #591269 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

What will be really interesting to see on the larger stage is if Martin gets away with a lot of the defensive strategies he gets away with in the NBL.

I know this is probably going to start a riot, and I'm going to say it, anyway. Martin commits a lot of fouls on the defensive end that he is not called on. Perhaps this is because he's Damian Martin, and the refs don't want to get eaten alive for fouling him off, so they don't blow the whistle on him. Perhaps I'm wrong. It will certainly be of interest to me to see how international refs view his defensive techniques, anyway.

Reply #591325 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree entirely Martin gets away with a fair bit with NBL refs that he won't be able to do internationally. I'm sure Lemanis knows this.

Reply #591327 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What does Damian Martin get away with defensively?

Reply #591332 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just about every game, he gets away with blatantly being a Wildcat. Doesn't even try to disguise it, wears the red singlet and everything.

Reply #591342 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That, and also a lot of contact on the guy bringing the ball up the court.

Reply #591416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754