LC
Years ago

Boomers vs Pac-12 game

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-network-live/

Great feed

Topic #39616 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

What can be said about that performance? The Boomers looked flat footed and lethargic. You can see players were confused about their roles, and I am not sure if that should be the case seeing as the nucleus of this team has been together across a lot of competitions. At times it was embarrassing.

Pac 12 looked much quicker than Australia. You wouldn't have guessed that the Boomers were favorites based on what we saw. Any casual observer would assume that the Pac 12 had better talent and the Boomers just happened to get a bit lucky.

Having said that, I am not sure where we should expect to be at this point of preparation. It is our first game together for the year. There was always going to be some cobwebs. I didn't expect a well oiled machine but I also didn't expect a genuine challenge from a team of kids that have been together for such a short time. It is concerning.

I am wondering whether Lemanis' decision to cut Newley will be reconsidered after tonight. We didn't seem to have the length to trouble their wing men, and there will be far more length at the Olympics. Also, what in the world is happening with rebounding? Pac 12 shouldn't have been able to compete on the boards.

The Boomers were able to eek out a win. But having said that, they might want to stop talking gold medals until the play like a decent team. Much of tonight was cringe worthy, except for some of Aron Baynes' work.

Reply #591253 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I am wondering whether Lemanis' decision to cut Newley will be reconsidered after tonight."

Weren't you saying in pretty much every other thread what a great decision it was these past few days? Newley offers us something, Martin offers us nothing. The 12 man team has been named now anyway the only way Newley could come in is an injury replacement and only then up until the day before the tournament starts.

I'm not much concerned about the performance tonight with no Bogut, Delly, Goulding & Broekhoff getting injured in the 2nd quarter. Baynes was impressive but he should be against college kids. Mills still not a great decision maker so will be nice when we get Delly in so Patty can play the 2.

Just a shame the game was hidden away on Foxtel I missed the first quarter and half the second trying to find a working stream that wasn't geo blocking me and even then the stream I finally found was blurry and with the yank commentators.

Reply #591259 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was saying the opposite. But now I have seen the team together I worry about its speed and length.

Changes can still be made. They can be made right up until the day the Olympics begin and the changes don't have to be because of injury. They do not confirm the squad with Olympics until merely days before.

I am willing to see what Martin brings but at the moment I have Motum earmarked for an early exit. He is too much of a bumbling, fumbling goober for me to deal with.

There were a few problems areas. Most will be ironed out. The concern for me is rim defense. We had trouble containing quick guards and blocking shots inside. We need a plan to stop this that doesn't rely solely on Andrew Bogut.

As for Patty's decisions, they will surely improve as he gets used to playing again. That was his first proper game back in a few months as well. My issues are the things that are recurring problems for the team, and that is scoring and ring protection.

On the upside, Lisch had a very good Boomers debut.

Reply #591260 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I think your issues go deeper than scoring and rim protection :-)

Reply #591261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was amazed at how much of an all-star game it was, almost like the Boomers decided this game was a good way to blow some steam off after such an intense camp.

It will be interesting to see if they treat Thursday differently and genuinely start their preparation for Rio or if they just try to put on a bit of a show again.

Reply #591262 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I was saying the opposite."

As saddened as I am about the loss of Newley and Jawai, they were necessary omissions made to give the team a unified play style.

As for Newley, there is nothing that he brings that can't be found in Ingles, Broekhoff or Goulding. It isn't a cut that I relish, but it is one I understand.

Damien Martin is the Cinderella story of this Boomers selection; he has been so close to so many Olympic squads without ever being able to pull on the jersey. I am elated that he has got his chance.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/39605-boti-rumor-newley-doesnt-makes-olympics-team/#p591026

Newley isn't really an offensive weapon anymore, if you haven't noticed. Newley is a poor man's Ingles without much of a jump shot. We have offensive firepower if the coach gives Lisch and Goulding minutes.

Martin just means that our defense on opposition point guards can be swarming and unrelenting. He is probably the best defender on the team. I know who I'd choose out of them all to defend a Tony Parker or Kyrie Irving.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/39605-boti-rumor-newley-doesnt-makes-olympics-team/#p591040

Martin and Lisch fit in perfectly for the pressure style they want to play. It is going to be gruelling and I think the Boomers will end up using all 12 players in the campaign.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/39608-boomers-team-named-for-rio-olympics/#p591141

Reply #591263 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Talking to a friend who is more into the analytical and coaching side of basketball. He thinks that the Boomers were running through their 3rd and 4th option offensive sets so that they're ingrained when better teams take away their first and second options.

He reckons, also, that they gave up some shots so they can move through all the different stages of their offense. So, to him, they were fixing up the last resort stuff and preparing for difficult match ups by, at times, playing with a hand behind the back.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Reply #591264 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

It was little more than a exhibition game.

Reply #591265 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, that is what I meant Zodiac.

Reply #591266 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One interesting stat out of a meaningless match was Lisch and Martin combining for 10 assists, five steals and just one turnover.

Reply #591270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the game been uploaded online?

Reply #591271 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

No wonder it's called the farewell series.We just said farewell to any medal dishing that rubbish up.
What crap a excuse "it's our first game against opposition" for christ sake playing against each other is a stronger line up than kids.
I feel sorry for whoever paid to see that.
And what about the morgue atmosphere,thought I was watching a chess tournament.

Reply #591277 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Thunder Jam, to reiterate:

"Talking to a friend who is more into the analytical and coaching side of basketball. He thinks that the Boomers were running through their 3rd and 4th option offensive sets so that they're ingrained when better teams take away their first and second options.

He reckons, also, that they gave up some shots so they can move through all the different stages of their offense. So, to him, they were fixing up the last resort stuff and preparing for difficult match ups by, at times, playing with a hand behind the back.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? "

Reply #591279 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Couple of things the Boomers looked very ordinary at -

-containing dribble penetration

-defending the P&R leading to above

Some good energy in up court defence by the guards only to be let down by Ingles lazy defence...leading to above.

Was impressed with some of their 'out of bounds/situation' plays...very well executed early in the lead up to Rio.

Reply #591281 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

My friends theory is that allow some of it so they can work on what to do when beaten off the dribble. It is like they were working on counters for when in bad situations.

Winning was barely on the agenda and the game was never really in question.

He is a coach and has worked with a lot of NBL players in different capacities so I know he knows what he is talking about. But having said that it was a hideous game that no one should have paid to watch, and hardly a showcase of Australian basketball.

Also of note is the fact that they never used their full court press. We know for a fact that the Boomers will be pressing at the Olympics, and the only press they did use was soft and rare. It's as if they're working on plan B's and just aren't good at that part of their game yet. Also, wouldn't be a great idea to play their intentional game plan so early on while being scouted.

Anyway, I do hope they do some more trying on Thursday. We do want some entertainment as well. Anything less than a 30 point win would feel a bit weak.

Reply #591282 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #591284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't able to watch the game. When broekhoff went out due to injury who was playing the 3 when ingles wasn't on?

Reply #591286 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It was really a nothing game. Baynes beat the PAC 12 All Stars himself as they couldn't guard him.

Otherwise it was all about practicing sets against defenders who weren't familiar with them, and focusing on defense, which was OK when they decided to press and wasn't great at preventing the quick PAC 12 players from penetrating.

I don't think there's any need for concern, other than Broekhoff's ankle..

Reply #591290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Box score?

Reply #591291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHA Lemanis isn't deep enough of a coach to be running third and fourth option sets.

Reply #591312 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Box score:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/BANT/304799/index.html

Reply #591317 | Report this post

Michaels  
Years ago

Kevin Lisch Interview after the irst game.

http://westaustralianbasketball.podbean.com/e/wa-ball-e05-kevin-lisch/

Reply #591340 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Someone had a few interesting insights in this article about the game as well.,

https://scripttrip.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/what-can-we-take-from-boomers-vs-pac-12-game-1/

Reply #591341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754