Isaac
Years ago

Bolden withdraws, will play pro before 2017 draft

Australian forward Jonah Bolden has withdrawn from UCLA, the school announced.

The 20-year-old will sign a one-year deal with a European club, before entering his name in the 2017 NBA Draft, sources told foxsports.com.au.
Full story

Topic #39664 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not so sure that's a good idea.

Reply #592335 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Interesting option...not sure how it will pan out for him either!

Reply #592340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might have failed classes to stay eligible

Reply #592343 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hearing he was not going to be eligible to play due to academics.

Reply #592354 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No idea what he was supposed to be studying, but if he went to college solely to audition for the NBA, there's no excuse for not getting the grades you need considering the mickey mouse-level classes available to you.

Reply #592364 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is more on Bolden I have been able to source to try and pull the entire scenario together.

Jonah Bolden leaves UCLA to turn pro, eyes 2017 NBA Draft

Covers his original NCAA ineligibility that saw him have to sit out his first year at UCLA (for a similar issue to Gorjok Gak), through to what appears to be his imminent academic ineligibility for next season.

Reply #592378 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

So is it Europe of Aus mixed reports?

Reply #592384 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Still unsure. Olgun likely is closer to the source, so he may be on the money with his call of Europe.

Reply #592396 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I'd back Olgun any day of the week but some good sources from the states on twitter saying opposite would be cool to see him back in AUS

Reply #592397 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/uclas-bolden-leaving-to-play-professionally-in-australia/191838896

Reply #592399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who in australia still has roster spots and in need of a sf/pf at this point? Would he be better than a 3rd import? would he take the money on offer in australia even as he'd likely get more in europe

Reply #592407 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure he'd get much in Europe, there are far far more credentialed Americans vying for the same spots. At least here he has value as a local and a potential marketing tool.

Reply #592410 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I am hearing that Olgun's original call of Bolden heading to Europe is on the money.

Reply #592426 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A shame that he's headed to Europe, it would have been nice to see him on the court in his dads old colours and I think could have allowed him to stand out a bit more as well... I guess with his goal of going to the NBA next year, it might not have been worth it long term for an NBL team compared to being able to have them stick around for 2 or 3 seasons...

Agree with AngusH though that if his focus was on auditioning for the NBA, even with the initial sitting out stuff, there's really no decent excuse for not making the grades needed to get by as a student athlete...

Reply #592430 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Listened to podcast with UCLA assistant coach who said he believes Jonah will head back home even started talking about where his dad played

Reply #592477 | Report this post

Jimmy Needles  
Years ago

That is certainly disappointing news, and not just because I was looking forward to watch Jonah play for UCLA against Sydney Uni next month. This move will likely hurt his shot at the NBA.

Reply #592670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754