PJ
Years ago

Melbourne United sign import Ramone Moore

Obviously a player signing. Any ideas who it might be?

Topic #39700 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ramone Moore announced

Reply #592929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0LCOOO1OeY

Looks like a legit 2/3 man

Reply #592930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok/3rd import
Andersen/Wesley
Blanchfield/Barlow
Goulding/Moore
Jackson/Tomlinson

Add some more size, strength and inside presence to that backup C spot, and this team will be looking impressive on paper.

Plenty of shooting at the 2 and 3 spots, there's an embarrassment of riches at the wing spot with the addition of Moore, it seems. Two pass first point guards and a big rotation led by Andersen. I like this a lot.

Then again, let's not get too excited because the entire standard of the league continues to improve so MU won't be the only ones with a loaded roster, and it's always about having a champion team rather than a team of champions.

Reply #592934 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Moore certainly has impressive credentials for a back up wing guy in the NBL. It's hard to see them finding much court time for Barlow.

Reply #592935 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And another option is Moore backs up Jackson at the 1, which pushes Tomlinson out.

Either way, this guy will improve the team. Not sure I'm sold on all the new changes happening this quickly but at the very least we'll be treated to some high standard ball in the NBL this year.

Reply #592936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully this isn't a case of "only one ball to go around". A team like this requires a fairly head strong Coach to get everyone to commit 100%. On paper they are extremely deep and talented. Especially with the addition of an import big to come. I wonder if they will go for a backup big behind Majok or a starter and push Majok to the bench.

Reply #592938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tomlinson being squeezed out can only be a good thing for the league

Reply #592940 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Melbourne almost have too much depth on their roster. If they manage to add a 3rd import too, that's a pretty stacked line-up.

Reply #592969 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

The footage in the above youtube link made me immediately think of Jordan McRae. Similar shooting mechanics and style but a tad shorter.

Reply #592970 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There just won't be enough minutes to go around, unless Demopoulos tries to run a 10 man rotation.

No matter which way it pans out, you’d think will be some experienced and proven NBL players like Barlow or Tomlinson, (and/or Majok or Wesley depending on the last import spot) left languishing on the end of the bench.

Meanwhile, Lucas Walker hasn’t found a new gig yet. Tragardh likewise.

The NBL’s talent level continues to rise, with the new rule changes.

Reply #592973 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

It is that as the league goes to a higher standard, or at least opens up another 8 import spots across the league, it is a shame that some good Aussies will be out of work.
Walker seemed to take a while, but finally found his grove with the 36ers late last season while Trigger always seemd to be a reliable big with nice shooting touch.
Hopefully the league will strengthen, stabalise and then grow by a couple of more teams, creating a few more jobs for Aussie basketballers.
Of course the issue with more imports might be more mid season sackingsas they fail to live up to expectations.

Reply #592977 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I expect we'll see some imports get sacked and replaced by Aussies.

Reply #592982 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Melbourne united going spurs deep.

Reply #592984 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Interesting to see who MU will start. Jackson and Goulding would have to be locks to start. If Barlow is fit, will he start in front of Blanchfield? Blanchfield wasn't very impressive late last season.
Andersen would be the obvious starter at 4, but could be pushed to 5 in the NBL. That would give them the option of starting Tai Wesley at 4 and having Majok backing either of those two up.

I suppose it all depends on who they sign with their last roster spot. One import availability remains open to them.

Reply #592987 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The big we sign better be a good rebounder cause there is going to be heaps of shots going up!

Reply #592988 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Majok is the smart choice in the starting 5, given he rebounds and doesn't need touches. I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley was promised a starting role though.

Reply #592989 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

We deseperatly need a bigger banger inside that will scrap for boards. Joshua Smith would be perfect

Reply #592991 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This team is looking great on paper. Its scary looking at Jackson with all those weapons surrounding him. Probably one of the most impressive teams in the league.

Reply #593012 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Great signing for United. This guy brings some added experience and talent off the bench. Could be a potential sixth man of the year candidate.

For their 3rd import another rim protector and rebounder is necessary and also someone who doesn't need the ball very much to finish on lobs and put backs, basically a DeAndre Jordan type. Doesn't have to be a big money guy either just someone to split time with Majok.

Reply #593014 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Charles Jackson?

Reply #593036 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

How much money do they have remaining? That is a loaded roster as it stands.

Pretty sure Andersen will play the five with a backup to come. Wesley/Majok to split time at the four. Wesley wouldn't have left NZ to play backup again and it's a waste of his talent.

Reply #593039 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Majok is pure 5. He's an undersized 5, yes, but in terms of his actual play, he plays big. ie: close to the hoop.

I think any combination of 2 of Majok, Andersen and Wesley can work on court together.

But as a group, it'd be helpful to get a bit more brute strength. I'd think they'd want another big as an extra option to throw in against bigs with legit size like Maric, Jawai, Jervis and Pledger. Or if they can't find that (as we all know, import 5 men with legit size are hard to find) perhaps a really athletic and physically gifted 4 man who rebounds like a fiend.

Reply #593049 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the import big will be a starting PF whose interior toughness complements Andersen's game.

Reply #593059 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Andersen will play the five with a backup to come. Wesley/Majok to split time at the four. Wesley wouldn't have left NZ to play backup again and it's a waste of his talent.

Yeah I can't see Wesley agreeing to sign there to come off the bench. Wesley at PF, Andersen at C they've got Majok who is pretty much strictly a 5 so looks like a PF import or otherwise to back up Wesley to come.

Reply #593063 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wesley isn't good enough to be demanding a starting position, it's not like he would have been flooded with big dollar offers. I doubt Melbourne will be settling for a mid-level talent like him when you look at the rest of the roster, but we'll find out pretty soon when the next signing is announced.

Reply #593079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You guys may well be right, I've only really seen Andersen in Green and Gold, playing alongside Bogut/Baynes/Maric etc, so I just tend to think of him as a 4. He can stretch the D with his jump shot, so I see him as being able to play alongside Majok at least on the offensive end.

Has he been playing 5 in Europe for most of his career? Is he sufficiently strong, and is he good enough at defending the low block to bang bodies and stop Maric, Jawai, Pledger?

Reply #593111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754