Isaac
Years ago

Boti reports on first 36ers training

Boti reports on the 36ers' first training with all in attendance. Sounds like it should be a dynamic squad:

ADELAIDE 36ers fans have good reason to be rubbing their hands in gleeful anticipation of the forthcoming NBL season if today's pre-season training was any gauge.

New faces Terrance Ferguson, Majok Deng, Eric Jacobsen and Anthony Drmic all had their moments, while Jerome Randle has lost none of his quickness or skill.

Ferguson, who left training with about a half hour left after tweaking his left ankle, was deadly from range with a sweet shooting action Sixers fans will grow to cherish.

He also was explosive, while prepared to do the dirty work and dive on loose balls.

Ferguson had his ankle iced and he was kept from the rest of the session but it was only precautionary, with the young recruit walking around relatively freely after the initial discomfort.

Deng showed his range and was powerful going to the hoop.

There are alley-oops aplenty in his future.

Full story

Topic #39711 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

Here's a quick vid of Terrance Ferguson @ that session today. He has a deft touch on the Jumper. Jerome made a point of getting him involved too which is exciting;

https://twitter.com/nbaussie/status/760707980694282290

Reply #593070 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's strange that they didn't show whether the ball went in on about half the shots. Is that because he missed? Just a strange way to show a highlights package.
Shooting form looks pretty good though. And there's obviously a lot of athleticism there.

Reply #593082 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah I thought it was also odd. But whether the shots went in doesn't matter when it comes to his potential for the team. He's been knocking shots all through juniors and I am sure he'll find his feet here if he hasn't yet.

Reply #593087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good could Ferguson be? I had doubts about an 18 year old playing against men but he has supreme athleticism and I'm starting to think he could be a star despite his lack of experience. The sixers could be anything this year. If the youngsters develop quickly, they could very well win

Reply #593100 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jacobsen compared to 36ers 1993 import David Robinson....is that a worry, wasn't he a bit of a bust?

Reply #593102 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Looking forward to the 36'ers season and the NBL season generally, once again lots of hype coming into 2016-17, which is nice to see.

Ferguson is an intriguing prospect, his age should not be a barrier if he adapts to the physical nature of the NBL and is played to his strengths, however they are big IFF's to overcome in the short term as has been shown previously.

It appears his college prospects were tainted with eligibility issues, which I am sure they would have taken care of if he chose that pathway, so good luck to him in his pro-career and good luck to the 6'ers too...

Reply #593106 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

With age comes generally a lack of physical development and experience of the high-physicality, fast and intense nature of elite sport. For that very reason, we never expect basketballers to dominate when they're 19/20...Unless you're one of the most freakishly natural physical talents ever like LeBron James.

You put a team of the best college bballers against an NBL side, and i'm not confident they could be all that successful, particularly over the length of the season. They'd probably be more like Essendon in the AFL atm.

I think TF will be good, but he won't dominate, and I think the best way to develop him, get the best out of him and make sure he doesn't struggle is to give him the type of role which doesn't place great responsibility and isn't too demanding but sticks to achieving key aspects to his game, whether it be finding space, shooting 40+% from the 3pt line and/or some other type of goals.

Reply #593109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, his output doesn't have to be outrageous given the broad array of options within the team. Someone compared him to Will Hudson as though that was a bad thing, but I think they'd be fine with getting someone like that.

With Ferguson too, if Randle is the primary option, then scoring in the teens will be handy enough presuming that DJ is in the 15-20 range and others chip in.

Reply #593113 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah DJ has to improve this year, some of that might have to be coaching, Randle dishing to him early to involve him in the game and a fair bit will have to be DJ adjusting and putting in the effort.

TF if we get 10ppg from him then we're very happy

Reply #593116 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems a pretty good first session.
Different coaching styles over the years.
Clarke started without basketballs.
Smyth's assistant did most of it.
I like to watch training , some of the time , not all of the time , but wasn't allowed to watch this one. There might be new people running the show now, frightened of the public...

Reply #593119 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm not expecting massive things from Jacobsen...would just hope he is better than Robinson (although my memory might not be that good).

Reply #593131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like to view trainings every now and then as well Camel and was refused.

I got nothing against them doing so, it is their prerogative, but I hope this is a short term policy.

As a coach it is always good to see the 36ers train. There are always new things to learn.

Reply #593133 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some severe proscriptions.
Seems they will put on their website the ones we allowed to see.
I used to care , but things have changed.

Reply #593135 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, I mentioned that Jacobsen could be a Will Hudson type. Unless you're referring to another post, i didn't in anyway suggest it to be a bad thing. On the contrary actually.

Reply #593144 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chief, I think maybe it was you mentioning that and then someone replying and implying that it was a negative thing. A no-frills interior worker is all they need for that spot.

Reply #593151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754