Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut defies Doctor's orders to play in Rio

http://www.espn.com.au/olympics/story/_/id/17229226/mavericks-andrew-bogut-declares-ready-boomers-medal-quest

"It's been a tough one, mentally," he told reporters on Friday.

"There were some people who thought it wasn't a good idea to go but I committed to this a year ago ... and I didn't want it to end this way.

"I'm 32 years old. I've made a plethora of money, got the NBA championship and all that, but being part of this group is a special thing for me."

Topic #39730 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

Think this puts to bed all those stories about the big guy not being committed to playing for the Boomers.

Pity he had so many "just bad luck" type injuries.

Reply #593340 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^^Agree 100 percent

Reply #593348 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

And he hugged it out with Liz. Guess she wasn't too angry after all.

Good to see he's being supported by Cuban and Dallas with his decision too, speaks volumes for the organisation.

Hopefully his possible sacrifice pays off big for us.

Reply #593369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pays of big? a medal, serious?

Reply #593391 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Bronze isn't out of reason

Reply #593419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bronze is a legit thing to strive for. I have never rated the boomers, goorjian didn't help that. But I like this team, Newley in for Martin, but besides that very likeable bunch in every way.

Reply #593601 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Pays of big? a medal, serious?"

Well, we just comprehensively beat a medal favorite. I don't think it is so outlandish to think we have a shot in hell.

"Bronze isn't out of reason"

Absolutely. If we're able to sneak a win tomorrow we put ourselves in great position to be second in the group. Our crossover would be against a beatable opponent and then we're two wins away from a medal. It isn't out of reason at all. Difficult, of course. But let's face it, no one expected Serbia to medal at the World Cup. No one expected France to medal in 2000. These things happen. Games aren't won on paper.

Reply #593602 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Some games are. Like Pictionary for example.
But if you mean basketball games then yes I agree.

Reply #593603 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Agreed. The Olympic basketball format lends itself to unpredicable outcomes too. You can lose 3 times in the group stage and still be alive. Play one good game there and you're in the medal round. Also, like us, most teams are not at 100% meaning nobody has their best out there. I think it's safe to say the euro and South American teams always take the world cup/ championship more seriously than the Olympics, again leaving the window open.

This team has a chance to medal. Is it probable? No. But definitely possible.

Reply #593663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754