Anonymous
Years ago

Should Lemanis be retained as boomers coach?

I couldn't be more impressed with how the boomers have played this tournament. The way they execute truly fits the cliche of being a well oiled machine. They all play so hard and smart, it reflects well on lemanis. Why break up the group now when we are building good momentum and have additional weapons coming through in Tokyo?

Topic #39760 | Report this topic

Smith  
Years ago

Concur. If they medal, it will surely be his decision.

Crickets from the doubters....

Reply #594570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boomers played very well in Spain 2014 world cup too including a signature win over Lithuania. Were very unlucky to lose in their knockout game to Turkey.

Reply #594578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we still have that rule that if you're the boomers coach you can't coach any other teams? E.g. bullets

Reply #594580 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Never heard of that rule. I think when Lemanis took over the job he either asked for it to be F/T or BA insisted on it to the applicants but before that it was P/T, Brett Brown was still an assistant with the Spurs, Goorjian was still coaching the Kings, Smyth was still coaching the 36ers. I can't remember what Barry Barnes was doing pretty sure it wasn't F/T, Lindsay Gaze still coached the Tigers too.

I've been a critic of Lemanis and haven't been a fan of his four years in charge and if BA still want the position to be F/T with him taking the Bullets job it would mean we would be getting a new Boomers coach after Rio anyway but if we equal our best ever finish 4th or even medal IMO he would then deserve another four-year term if he wanted it.

Reply #594581 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

To the best of my knowledge, its never been a rule, more a practical thing. Guys have certainly held both positions, but then tend to drop one.
Timing is everything.

I think the issue is that being Boomers coach is only a full-time gig at certain times, but when it is, it excludes everything else.
Imagine if the Olympics were later in the year. Lemanis wouldn't be coaching both.

Reply #594582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder how much is the full package, and how much is just that we have a team carrying a lot of confidence out of the NBA. Bogut, Baynes, Ingles, Mills and Dellavedova have now all seen solid minutes at the highest level so wouldn't lack any confidence playing the international game.

Reply #594584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France had better NBA players than we have and we schooled them. It's more than just the results we're churning out, it's the way we're doing it.

Reply #594585 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Just to play Devil's Advocate, how much of this good chemistry comes down to the brilliance of our vets, especially Delly and Bogut?

(Kind of weird calling a 25-year-old a vet, but Delly basically is a top leader/vet already.)

Reply #594587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This from ESPN:

"How confident is Australia that it has a real shot at a medal here? According to the pregame rumbles in circulation in the media tribune, Australia showed up with some loose plans to hold back some against Team USA ... in the hope that it'll have a second shot to play the United States with a medal on the line next week.

One team source went as far as telling ESPN.com that Australia coach Andrej Lemanis was prepared to limit his starters' minutes in the second half -- while using only half of his playbook -- so as not to give away too much in this group-play encounter."

The article goes on to say that since victory was within reach we scrapped the resting plan and went for it - understandable, it would've been worth a "medal" ok it's own right.

But I'm impressed lemanis was thinking like this in the first place (probably also confirms, if there was any remaining doubt, that the Angola loss in the 2014 world cup was a tank job). Sign this man up for Tokyo!

Reply #594588 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's partly the quality of our roster, but the Boomers have been running a pretty effective offense, so credit to Lemanis on that. I was as critical as anyone else before that France game, but I'll happily admit to being wrong.

France meanwhile are definitely less than the sum of their parts...

Reply #594589 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Making the Boomers job a full time role rules out a lot of the best candidates who are in demand for other jobs.

A national team coach getting reps coaching during a season wouldn't be a bad thing.

It would be strange for coach K or Geno to give up their jobs to coach the national teams.

Reply #594590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To everyone saying we have better players now, yes, that's true but it's still damn fine performances we're putting up right now. Could you imagine us playing better with a different coach? I couldn't I think he's maxing us out and that's what you want from your coach. We are on the upwards trajectory and for me it doesn't make sense to make a big change like switching coach.

Reply #594591 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

If we medal he has to stay if not im happy to change it up.

Reply #594592 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The thing is though that up until now there has been no real reason to justify making the Boomers position F/T however soon I think maybe even from 2017 FIBA are going to start scheduling international games 'in-season' so players will have time away from their NBL teams (NBA teams no doubt won't allow it) and byes will be scheduled in the NBL and in Euro leagues.

That is a different ball game.

Reply #594593 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

It's more the fact that the players are buying into the system, and the chemistry is unbelievable! Spursesque

Reply #594595 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Personally I don't like this habit of the Boomers changing coaches just when the team is starting to look promising and play with good chemistry. It takes time for a head coach to adjust to international play. It happened with Goorjian and to Brown to a lesser extent. Each time we replaced a coach it took some time to gain chemistry and team momentum again. By the time the team looked somewhat settled, we then go and change coach because of a warped idea of our world standing.

If the players like Lemanis and results are strong as they have been so far, it seems a big risk to change again. I feel better with Lemanis than I did with Brown.

The other thing to consider is that the next major tournament is in 2019.

Reply #594597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was fairly critical on the Boomers and Lemanis' coaching in the lead up games to Rio, but clearly he was hiding something because the teams execution and gameplay has been pretty damn awesome so far at the Olympics. Watching the game Vs USA, the boomers were the better team executing their offence and defence it was just that USA were so much more talented.

I'd be happy to see him continue based on the 3 games at Rio so far. This Boomers team has been entertaining to watch.

Reply #594600 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Me ^^

Reply #594601 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Breakers were a well executed team under Lemanis and I definitely see some of that with the Boomers recently.

Reply #594602 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I said the next major tournament is in 2019. I forgot that basketball will feature in the Commonwealth Games again in 2018. Although it will be starting in April 2018, which seems to overlap with the final week(s) of the NBA season.

Reply #594604 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Check out the new qualification process. It is a long qualification process now, especially now that we have been bundled into a new Asia-Pacific region, called, erm, the Asia region. The system for the Asia region is explained here:

https://youtu.be/nlHjj0S9zIM

I haven't heard if the NBA is making any allowances for this new FIBA international qualification system, but I can't see it happening. I doubt any of our NBA players will be able to be involved at all during the entire phase 1 period (which is played in Nov 2017, Feb 2018 and June 2018). In between this will be the 2018 Commonwealth games in April 2018. The phase 2 qualification period will be Sept 2018, November 2018 and Feb 2019. Again, NBA players will surely be blocked from being involved in this, with the possible exception of Sept 2018. Surely this means that we will be relying on FIBA players (mostly NBL players) to play in this elongated qualification process.

Then qualification into the 2020 Olympics will be largely determined by World Cup placings.

How will Team USA deal with this new system? When might be the next time we will see our NBA players suit up for the Boomers after these Olympics? Can we convince some NBA players to feature in games/series in Sept 2018? Will we need to wait until the actual 2019 World Cup to be able to see Simmons and Exum in a Boomers uniform again? Does this shift the balance of power away from teams with predominantly NBA-based rosters?

With this in mind, I want an NBL-based coach who knows our NBL players well. Lemanis remains as sensible an option as any others.

Reply #594613 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How will Team USA deal with this new system?
IIRC winning the Olympics/World Cup automatically qualifies you, so they'll ignore it.

Lemanis will presumably be a bit busy with the Bullets during a lot of those qualification windows.

Reply #594620 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am another who has been turned into a believer from this tournament so far. I worried we didn't have to coaching to get anything done, but so far they've been frankly excellent in all facets of the game.

The fact that he was thinking about holding back plays, and the way he handled the exhibition games shows a level of sophistication that puts him above the run-of-the-mill coach in my books. He has taken a team with limited offensive firepower and found a way to make them beat down France, Serbia and keep pace with the USA. The tournament is far from done but he has my vote to stay so far.

Reply #594621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rjd the Commonwealth games aren't a major tournament so your 2019 comment was correct :p

Reply #594623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe lemanis just takes a break from NBL when those international games are on. Players are going to do it, why not coaches? Or you have an associate head coach who is full time who can help with some of the groundwork but is picked by lemanis so good system and philosophy is carried on when he's absent with bullets duties

Reply #594624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"IIRC winning the Olympics/World Cup automatically qualifies you, so they'll ignore it."

Almost certain the Olympic champion doesn't qualify for the WC, so the US will have to finish in the top seven in the Americas qualifying to make it through. I suspect they'll find a way to manage that.

NBA players should be available for the September window, and some could play in the June/July window too if their team missed playoffs or exited early.

Reply #594625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Lemanis, the next tournament for the Boomers is the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup in August/September, so he can easily coach the Bullets for a year and then step back into Boomers duties. I wrote about how it could work here:

http://www.fiba.com/news/whats-it-mean-dr-drej

I certainly hope he does stick around, he's done outstanding job building this team, adjusting his disruptive D to suit the international game and moulding the NZ offence to fit our players.

Reply #594626 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

barry barnes was full-time Boomers coach and

"Barry Barnes was arguably Australia's most successful Boomers coach, coming closest to snaring that elusive Olympic medal. Twice the Boomers finished fourth, in 1996 and 2000."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/barnes-gunners-aim-high-20130628-2p32u.html

Reply #594627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754