Jimmy Needles
Years ago

Bullets sign former Finals MVP Jermaine Beal

Bullets to compete for a title in their first season back in the league? Love what the powers at be have done to get these guys into championship contending shape. If you ask me it's good for the NBL to have a strong Brisbane franchise!

Topic #39764 | Report this topic

Andy  
Years ago

Frontcourt solid, backcourt not so. I think the Bullets will have the weakest backcourt in the comp...I cant see them making finals.

Reply #594714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those needing a refresher on the Bullets roster, it's something like this:

Gibson/Bruce
Beal/Te Rangi/Kenyon
Craig/Petrie
Kickert/Young
Bairstow/Jervis

I think Bruce is pretty decent as a backup. If Gibson plays hard all year, they will be OK.

But I do think that Petrie and Young is redundancy they probably didn't need? Young only has the one year though, so it might be a test.

Reply #594722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Andy, not a playoff team unless Gibson and Beal have superb seasons. Still, not a bad expansion roster and an import spot they can use on another guard/wing if need be.

Reply #594726 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Backcourts

United: Jackson, Goulding, Moore, Tomlinson.

Perth: Martin, Johnson, Kenny

NZ: Woodside, Webster, Penney, Ili

Sydney: Cadee, Lisch, Bryson....?

Illawarra: Martin, Clarke....?

Cairns: Trice, Gliddon....

Tend to agree- Gibson, Beal and Bruce would have been a solid backcourt in years gone by, but it looks weak this year.

Reply #594727 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think those three are weak, but they need another piece (Kenyon looks like a project) who can be a contributor.

Reply #594731 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh and of course, Randle, Drmic, Teys etc

Randle alone gives them a strong backcourt, haha!

Reply #594732 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Paul -weak relative to their opponents in the NBL, absolutely. Unless or until they sign another guy who can play guard. Which they might..?

Reply #594734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Illawarra's is Martin, Clarke, Norton and White (who was starting last year).
Adelaide's is Randle and whoever is best of Drmic, Sobey, Doyle, Teys, Ferguson

Reply #594735 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Maybe shelve this conversation until we have confirmation of final roster?

Bris have only signed two imports, and if they sign a solid swingman as a third, then that will change the whole discussion-

is Kenyon a DP? If so, one more roster spot to make 11.

Reply #594736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunate for Jervis being stuck on the bench again I thought he was going to Brisbane to chase a starting role.
Will finish around 6th

Reply #594740 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What I mean LV is Gibson and Beal are quality starters and Bruce a quality back-up, so those three are good pieces, but without another solid back-up they seem to lack depth.

They've signed 11, I assume that's their roster for now, but is there any rule saying they can't sign 12? If the do sign an import 2-3 then they look good.

The other x-factor is Te Rangi, if he can produce the form he did for the Tall Blacks two years ago they will look a lot better, but he hasn't done that in the NBL yet.

Reply #594744 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Te Rangi and Young were silly pick ups. And why sign Beal? Beal is basically the same as Adam Gibson - a decent play maker who doesn't have the scorers mentality. Actually, they don't appear to have one person who makes buckets.

But then again, they have Andrej Lemanis...

Reply #594747 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't worry, the only mentality Beal has is a scorer's mentality, and he's going to get plenty of chances to prove it in this Bullets team!

Reply #594749 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

What are you talking about ME? Beal's only mentality is to score.

Reply #594761 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I rate Beal and Gibbo as players, but I think they both need to be your PG to be effective. Last season they both disappeared on offense when they weren't handling the ball, which doesn't seem to bode so well to me.

Reply #594768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I assumed Kickert and Bairstow might be marquee players, or Lemanis is keeping an import spot for insurance.

Reply #594776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Beal is more effective when he's not running the point, he's only good in that role in bursts.

Reply #594782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal is basically the same as Adam Gibson - a decent play maker who doesn't have the scorers mentality.

Reply #594796 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They've overloaded too much on bigs and Beal & Gibson are both too inconsistent to be paired together.

Reply #594817 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Just wait and see how Gibson goes running the point compared to constantly playing alongside an American in the combo role.

I'm convinced getting away from Joey will be the best thing he'll ever do.

Reply #594837 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Lemanis is on record as saying that he will keep a 3rd import slot for Insurance. Its a smart move if you can get enough local talent. We've all seen competitive teams de-railed by critical injury, much easier to source an import replacement, especially if you have contacts which I imagine Lemanis & Co would.

Beal is a very good player. I was sad to see him leave. He does have off nights, but not all that often. Most times you can count on him.
Even the most highly regarded import is a gamble, and Beal is a know quantity.
It will be interesting to see how Gibson goes...

Reply #594840 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Lets not forget that Lemanis is a bloody good coach, with proven success in the NBL.

Reply #594841 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ that YouTube video never gets old.

I hope Bullets fans get to experience that same feeling of :O that we did in Perth Arena that night.

Reply #594844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As well as that epic 40pt night, who could forget Beal going berserk in the 4th quarter away to Wollongong to secure the Cats a vital road win (their season was looking shaky at the time). The infamous game where Lisch broke his ankles and then he came right back at him. Superb.

I think the Wildcats will miss him this season, even though Johnson looks a good player in his own right.

Reply #594849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754