Isaac
Years ago

NBL free agents remaining

This is the list of last year's players currently not signed in the NBL, as per the useful Spatial Jam.

Hill
Maynard
Patton (reason for this, IIRC)
Steindl (signed overseas?)
Tragardh
Charles Jackson
Bailey
Heuir (being considered by Cairns)
Prewster
Bartlett
Ere
Warrick
Faithfull (suited for Sydney in pre-season)
Hadziomerovic
Childress
Jett
Vandenberg
Davidson (would think he'd retire?)
Henry
Schenscher
Walker
Burston
Djeric (signed overseas)
Starks
Thornton
Samhan
Carter (signed overseas)
Holt (would've thought someone might grab him?)
Markovic (may be done at NBL level?)
McDonald (not sure he'll get another NBL gig?)
Demos (taking a year off)

Are Holt, Jackson and Warrick playing elsewhere? All decent players. Surprised we didn't see Jackson get taken as a role-playing big by someone like Adelaide or Illawarra.

Was it David Stiff who said something like "You don't really retire, the phone just stops ringing"?

Topic #39765 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Holt signed in Spain, I believe.

Shame that Hadziomerovic hasn't been picked up- he showed real promise before getting injured.

Reply #594729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised to see Lucas Walker not picked up.

Reply #594738 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Steindl signed overseas.

Prewster played for Sydney against Washington U, according to this forum.

Reply #594739 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Definitely enough for at least 1 more team if not 2

Reply #594742 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hadziomerovic is still with Melbourne but out with injury according to the club.

Reply #594746 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Wish someone would pickup Big CJ. Unorthodox playing style I liked to watch, thought he was pretty entertaining. Seemed like a pretty relaxed and happy teammate.

Reply #594765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where has Warrick ended up? Not a complete player, but a very effective dynamo off the bench. Asking price too high maybe?

Reply #594771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He'd be a good fit for Cairns but I'm not sure they have the budget for him as a back-up.

Reply #594772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Heuir really up to the league? Similar level to Wroe in my opinion, which is just below.

Reply #594780 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think Jackson would be great in Cairns too.

Re. Heuir, he's on the fringe, I think he's earnt another season to see how he goes. He's having a great season for the Marlins, leading a team with Trigger and Loughton.

Reply #594798 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Larry Davidson has retired, according to the Hawks. Cam Tragardh and Matt Burston have both said they have no intention of leaving Cairns, so could probably both be considered retired, too.

Should Ikene Ibekwe be on that list, or is he playing elsewhere.

I would love to see the Taipans pick up Ibekwe, Jackson or Warrick as a backup to Nate, but I believe they are looking for more of a 4 like Devin Williams (my gen is they actually had negotiations with him, but were outbid by MU).

Cairns needs an athletic defender to take care of other stretch 4s in the league this year, (that's why they got rid of Trigger) so Loughton or Wortho will have defensive duties on 5s when Nate is off the court.

Reply #594826 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Warrick was currently playing in that horrible magic millions style tournament that had been on Foxtel.

He was part of the Syracuse alumni team.

Reply #594834 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Can't forget that Aussie guy Gladness too that was selected for Australia but won't get a gig in the league.

I'm surprised about Omar Samhan as he seemed like a very solid player that made all the right noise about being a good team mate and doing what his team needed of him to win... He sounds better than the Adelaide and Illawarra import bigs

I really feel we needed that 9th team this season and capitalise on the Olympics buzz that basketball is getting.

Not an amazing team there of rejects from last season but they would be a fun team to watch

Reply #594912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754