Ugly Igley
Years ago

Ennis & NBL - NBA journo's perspective

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2016/8/16/12441950/memphis-grizzlies-james-ennis-australia

Save to say, this is not entirely complimentary about the NBL.

Topic #39795 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Suffice to say*

Reply #595578 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Not entirely complimentary but they are biased and trying to build up the talent they have on their own roster and the mere mention of it becoming a viable option for young NBA hopefuls is hardly burying us either

Reply #595580 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

IT wasn't that bad. I thought it was quite factual.

The NBL is beneath Ennis as he now has an NBA contract.

His defenders were slower and less athletic.

Doesn't mean the NBL is a terrible league.

Reply #595582 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought the article was very fair.

Reply #595590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and balanced.

Reply #595592 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

...though it reminded me that not only did Ennis finish behind Clarke in the MVP voting that year, but also Goulding. So now I'm angry all over again :p

Reply #595594 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Actually a well written and unusually fact-based for a club-based semi-fluff piece.

Reply #595598 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It was a fair article. Ennis was clearly above and beyond anyone we had in the league at that time but that is quickly changing with more athletic imports and top flight Aussies coming in. It also said we helped develop him and Australia is now a viable destination for NBA hopefuls. You can't complain too much when everything he said is true.

Reply #595601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

During his lone season in the NBL, "Ennis the Menace" also finished third in MVP voting (though that decision may have been politically motivated, as only coaches vote for the league's MVP and there was believed to be a bias against foreign products), and was awarded First-Team All-NBL honors.
Yet the MVP was an import. Nothing political about it, just a particular voting system.

Reply #595613 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How easily people forget that when media folk did their MVP predictions that year most voted for Goulding, with Clarke and Ennis the other two to get votes. Those three were clear standouts that season from the rest of the league, but not from each other.

Reply #595617 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

The thing is though - Ennis wasn't the Most Valuable Player. He was the best player by far, but he wasn't the most valuable. Take Ennis out of the Wildcats in 2013/14 and you'd still have a solid squad. Take Clarke or Goulding out of the Hawks and Tigers and they would be f**ked. The Hawks were fairly average *with* Clarke in 2013/14 - imagine them without him

Reply #595638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754