Anonymous
Years ago

Screening - Damian Martin

I've noticed that at international level, opposition players use Damian Martin in your face type D to their advantage by remaining cool and running him into screens. Because he defends so tightly he's been running smack bang into the screeners chest, hasn't been able to recover and this has resulted in a lot of easy points.

My question is why doesn't this happen at NBL level more often? Is it because our guards aren't as crafty as using screens?

Topic #39823 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Yep.

It's why I don't rate Martin and Lisch as defenders at this level. Not a whole lot of P&R in the NBL compared to other leagues. It took Delly and Mills years to figure out you can't play those elite guards that tight or you get burnt or run into picks.

Reply #596486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also do the refs let more go at NBL level? Martin was picking up a lot of fouls . Think he got fouled out in 17 mins in the quarters

Reply #596489 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah you can handcheck with two hands in the NBL in the backcourt more often than not.

I also find that because NBL refs aren't very good, they get normalised to player behaviour. If you come out of the gates playing tight, scrappy, holding, grappling D, they get normalised to it pretty quickly and swallow their whistles for certain guys.

Reply #596492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I also find that because NBL refs aren't very good, they get normalised to player behaviour. If you come out of the gates playing tight, scrappy, holding, grappling D, they get normalised to it pretty quickly and swallow their whistles for certain guys."

Or certain teams, Brian Goorjian coached teams come to mind.

Reply #596500 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"I also find that because NBL refs aren't very good, they get normalised to player behaviour. If you come out of the gates playing tight, scrappy, holding, grappling D, they get normalised to it pretty quickly and swallow their whistles for certain guys."

also if the players continue to rack up the fouls , IE they don't stop the illegal defense, the refs start to get flack from the often less than experienced referee supervisors about an uneven foul count, and get intimidated into stopping making that call.

Reply #596507 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

FMD
I suppose it had to happen didn't.
Yes Damo (and by extension the Wildcats) is personally responsible for the Boomers losing the SF and a Silver medal.
Never mind that our 3 best players were almost completely shut-down, (I'm sure we can blame that on Gleeson.)

Reply #596556 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did you actually read any of this thread Dazz?

Reply #596567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz yet again expressing his opinion. He's always right (sigh)

Reply #596588 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #596604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the biggest issue with NBL refs is inconsistency. However, compared to the Olympic refereeing, I think NBL is generally tighter on illegal screens. There were several times during the Olympics when a screener stepped into the contact. That's difficult to account for as a defender.

Also have to ask; why wasn't the shirt holding called? That was obvious, and players were complaining about it.

Reply #596648 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It seems it's been the Boomers plan to get up and force guards to use the screen straight away, so the help defence is prepared for what's going to happen, rather than oppo guards choosing their moment to use the pick.

In the first six games it worked well, with overall oppo PG's assists and field goal percentage well down on the rest of the tournament.

In the SF Serbia used screening action away from the ball well to free up the player who was going to use the on-ball and the Aussie didn't respond to that well.

Teodosic is one player it's best not to get up-and-in on, he gets that on a near-weekly basis in Europe and feeds off it. You need to have an element of surprise when guarding him.

Reply #596650 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re the difference in screening between the FIBA game and NBL, the big one is the width of the frontcourt bodies and the mobility of the frontcourt players.

In the NBL there are less true widebodies who can really wipe a guard out, and more mobile frontcourters who can either switch the pick or show hard and then recover.

Take out the SF, the Boomers' on-ball defence has been the best I've seen from an Aussie team in this tournament.

Reply #596651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Log off Dazz, super sensitive cats fan... whats news. I found this an interesting read.

Reply #596654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754