LC
Years ago

How the Boomers made us believe again

It's fair to say that the Boomers’ loss to Serbia on Saturday was the low point of an otherwise incredible Olympic campaign for the boys in green and gold.

The talent is at an all-time high, boasting four NBA champions and five NBA players overall. Despite the loss on Saturday, the level of play has been at a similarly elite level.

However this squad wasn’t given the respect it has earned now. A declaration to the world that the Boomers expected to win the gold medal in the Olympics, was not taken as a serious possibility by the basketball world at large, prior to the commencement of the Olympics.

How the Boomers made us believe again

I thought before the Olympics, a top 4 effort would be amazing. A top 8 finish a pass mark. Win bronze and they have done something that no other Aussie men's senior team has done before. Win a medal.

Topic #39830 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Good article here too: http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/olympics-2016/boomers-future-bright-with-simmons-maker-set-to-strengthen-squad-in-coming-years/news-story/61a8ad3f5d148a798540ddc9662611cb

Reply #596636 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

This part was impressive: "The guys at Channel Seven have been over the moon with the ratings and I just got a note from Australia to say our Aussie Hoops registration which is our junior development program is heading into term four with all-time high registration."

Reply #596637 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Win or lose tonight (hopefully win) this has been a successful campaign for Australian basketball. People have been talking more about the Boomers now than ever and hopefully that ends on a high note.

Reply #596638 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Would be good if they could spell David Andersen and Damian Martin's names correctly!

But good things ahead for #AussieHoops!

Reply #596639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Itll be a clear failure, if you ask Koberulz, SMH. Great team, fun to watch and definitely been a successful campaign.

Reply #596644 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Say what you will, but the Boomers have never lost to the All Blacks..... and would prob put in a better effort than the Wallabies...

Reply #596658 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Losing to a power-house like Spain by a point - yeah, baby!

I'm really impressed by this team and all they achieved. A team to be proud of!

Reply #596784 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am very proud of them. They're the rightful bronze medalists

Reply #596786 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

They've had a great tournament, it's just a shame their worst performance was when all of Australia was watching (not just the basketball fans).

Reply #596839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754