GordonG
Years ago

Nnanna Egwu joins Cairns Taipans as third import

Nnanna Egwu joins Cairns Taipans as third import
Media release: Friday 26 August 2016
The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans are close to finalising their roster with the signing of centre Nnanna Egwu (EGG-woo) to their third and final import spot.

The 23-year old American recently played for the Erie BayHawks in the NBA D-League, averaging 9.2 points and 7.2 rebounds in the 2015/16 season.

Head Coach Aaron Fearne scouted Egwu at this year's NBA Summer League after receiving recommendations from Orlando Magic’s Conner Henry.

"We watched him play in the Summer League in Orlando. Connor Henry, who previously coached in Perth and is now an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic provided good intel on him as a player, person and team mate," explained Fearne.

“After speaking with the Erie BayHawks, reports were all very consistent to what I had observed.

“He will bring tremendous work ethic. I love his talk defensively and from the off-set you can tell he’s very hungry and wants to be successful.”

Born in Nigeria, Egwu was raised in Chicago and fielded a number of basketball scholarships before selecting the University of Illinois.

As a senior, Edwu averaged 6.5 points and 5.9 rebounds across 33 games, while leading the Fighting Illini in blocked shots from 2013-2015.

His 201 career blocks holds the record for the best in the school’s history, and he went on to earn 2015 Big Ten All-Defensive Team honours and an invitation to join the Orlando Magic for Summer League.

Egwu appeared in five pre-season games with the Magic, before being acquired by the Erie BayHawks as an affiliate player.

“We wanted to get a legitimate athlete - and we needed a big body to compliment Nate [Jawai] with the ability to play with him,” said Fearne.

“He shoots extremely well for a big guy and has range on his jumper.

“We’re aiming to get better at rebounding, better on the defensive end, and be a tougher team inside. Adding Nate and Nnanna should accomplish that.”

Egwu joins Travis Trice and Fuquan Edwin in the import positions for the Taipans’ 2016/17 NBL campaign.

The Cairns Taipans begin their pre-season this Sunday, hosting the Eastern Washington Eagles at 4:00pm. Trice has been cleared to play and will suit up for the first time at Early Settler Stadium.

Topic #39856 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Love this signing! NBL is so stacked

Reply #597447 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nnanna Egwu (EGG-woo)
I love the implication that it's obvious how to pronounce 'Nnanna'.

Reply #597449 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm more concerned with how to pronounce the first name of their second import signing!

Reply #597450 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Easy chant when he fouls out!

Reply #597460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty obvious how to pronounce the first name. Love the pronunciation of the second name though. If anyone has a emoji of an egg could get interesting.

Reply #597462 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

@Zodiac - FOO-kwon. Or just plain Foo.

Reply #597466 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Connor Henry keeps popping up. Done well to stay active in coaching. Thought he was average at best as a HC!!

Reply #597472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Easy chant when he fouls out!"

LOL great call

Reply #597474 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty obvious how to pronounce the first name.
Well, "Majok" seems like its pronunciation is obvious too, but it isn't.

That aside, the obvious pronunciations that occur to me, as an English speaker, are the one paul alluded to above and the one English speakers would use for 'Nanna'. Then throw in the possibility that each syllable has a different vowel sound, and the question of whether it's an oxytone or a paroxytone...

Reply #597481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe, needed a reply to that.

Reply #597505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your detailed explanations on everything Koberulz

Reply #597506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You realise folks on this forum are making fun of you koberulz. And for good reason, odd unit.

Reply #597507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I may be in the minority but I don't mind Kobe's attention to detail

Reply #597513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice pick up for Cairns.

Reply #597519 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe, needed a reply to that.
Thanks for your detailed explanations on everything Koberulz
Happy to help!

Reply #597558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto to the quote above. "Fun of you." Fun = clown.

Reply #597559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fun = clown
I'm guessing what you meant to say was 'clowns = fun'. It's obviously possible for fun to be present in the absence of clowns.

Of course, for those with coulrophobia the presence of clowns actively precludes the presence of fun, so it's obviously not universally true even in that modified form.

Reply #597560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make sure to always get the last word in koberulz, your becoming quite spam worthy. Slipping champ.

Reply #597564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply to the odd unit line... Thats the most definitive of the lot. It's a real shame you are in here.

Reply #597565 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Make sure to always get the last word in koberulz, your becoming quite spam worthy.
Well, since you were nice enough to ask, and to offer me an opportunity to do so, I feel like it'd be rude not to!

*you're

Reply #597566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That aside, the obvious pronunciations that occur to me, as an English speaker, are the one paul alluded to above and the one English speakers would use for 'Nanna'.
Additional thought: it could also be pronounced like the dance move.

Reply #597567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohh no surprise you're a 'you're' guy. That memes on people like you. It doesn't end well. This forum is all you have, so I'll let you be lastworldrulz.

Reply #597568 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

KR,

Perhaps you should change your username to Sheldon Cooper :-)

No on second thoughts BBT should introduce a character called Kobe Ruulz. :-)

Reply #597571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG Big Ads, you hit that on the head, ill never be able to watch that show the same way again! But spot on, well played sir, such a Sheldon.

Reply #597573 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Noticeable at the pre-season game yesterday (neither were playing) - Nnanna is taller than Jawai. Gonna be hard to get around them.

Reply #597595 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So how are they looking?

Jawai
Wortho
Edwin
Gliddon
Trice

Egwu
Weigh

The imports they've signed look as though they'll be good fits for Fearne- Egwu and Edwin are noted as strong defenders and Trice will hopefully bring the class that runs this offense ala Wilson and Wilbekin before him. Starks was solid too, so you'd say Fearne has a strong track record here.

For a team widely tipped to finish bottom 2, they look very strong!

Bruce has gone to Bris, Burston and Tragardh released. Heihr?

Who am I missing?

Reply #597605 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh- Loughton, of course.

Who are the backups in the back court?

Reply #597606 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Weeks and McCarron.

Reply #597608 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ah cheers.

They'll be competitive.

Jawai and Trice are the keys here. If Trice is a star and Jawai can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 28-30 minutes a game, then this team will get a few upsets along the way. If Trice doesn't turn out so great and Jawai keeps struggling with foul trouble then they will struggle.

Reply #597610 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting thing is Fearne has gone for players who are true to type.

It appears that Edwin is in the 3 and D mold, like a Ron Dorsey or a Torrey Craig.

Fearne needs Trice to be the new Scottie Wilbekin if this team is to make top 4.

Jawai has some similarities to Tragardh- offensively at least- does his best work in the low block. Egwu sounds like a defensive Centre in the Matt Burston mold.

Reply #597620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fate will rest on health of Jawai and form of the 3 new imports. They could finish anywhere from 3rd to 7th.

Reply #597625 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon, so what you're saying is that the Taipans' chances rely on the form of 80% of their starting 5?.... you know you've just described the chances of every team ever.

LV - Egwu has sweet mid range jumper and good touch around the rim, as well being a genuine shot blocker. He'll space the floor for Jawai and he'll spend some time at 5 when Jawai's off.

Reply #597629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz and Dazz appear to be medically retarded.

Reply #597631 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In 4 seasons of college Egwu never averaged more than 6.9ppg. Based on that, it seems doubtful he'll be a scorer of any kind at NBL level?

Reply #597633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz hasn't appeared in this thread just yet.
Please don't jinx us :)

Reply #597635 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

LV - he's never been a top option as a scorer, but his mid range is very very handy.

You wouldn't want to base your offense on it, but if he's a handy option. Highlight reels only so so much, but his mechanics look pretty good and he was shooting it at a high clip in the D League.

Reply #597636 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah 9.2ppg in D League isn't horrible

Based on some of the highlights here, he has a nice post game- turnaround jumper, baby hook- and will need to be respected in the NBL.

When comparing him to Burston though, I was meaning that he's a guy who is more known for his D than his offense. He's clearly an athletic rim protector type, and the combination of him and Jawai could be fearsome. But of course, there's plenty of big men combos that look fearsome! (Khazzouh/Maric, Ogilvy/Holyfield being a couple of others)

Reply #597637 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is the link

http://dleague-dev.nba.com/player/nnanna-egwu/

Reply #597638 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Guy was close to making Orlando roster few years ago, love his game!

Reply #597640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754