Ricky
Years ago

10 games to look forward to this season.

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/10-exciting-games-201617-nbl-season/

Cast your votes peeps..

Topic #39863 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no Kings (Lisch) at Hawks...

It's always a big game, but now it's got added spice.

Reply #597721 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Is this guy allowed to promote his bog on here??

Anyway i did read it and the best game to look forward to is Perth v Brisbane. First game its already good, what more could you want? only THE GREAT BEAL coming up against his old buddies and THE KING OF CLUBS. PERTH WILDCATS are in the house and basketball is back.

It will be interesting match up for sure. Look for Damian Martin to SHUT DOWN adam Gibson all game. Overrated!

Reply #597723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh very good. The REAL Mock is BACK in BUSINESS.

P.S. I didn't even get to cast my vote because my browser flagged that page as a security threat!

Reply #597724 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My biggest games

Utd vs Sydney
- Andersen and Newley.
- Gaze vs Utd
- Possibly the 2 most talented rosters in the comp
- Good ol Melb vs Sydney

Bris vs Perth
- New boys take on the reigning champs
- Lemanis and Gleeson- two multi championship coaches. Coaches together in Rio
- Beal and Jervis Face old teammates. How will Cats fans react? Few Cats are more embedded in Wildcat folklore than Beal, even given their long history

Utd vs NZ
- Jackson and Wesley vs NZ

Reply #597725 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Few Cats are more embedded in Wildcat folklore than Beal, even given their long history
Are you serious? Off the top of my head: Ellis, Crawford, Bruton, Pinder, Grace, Torrance, Watterson, Vlahov, Fisher, Harvey, Stewart, Rogers, Redhage, Martin, Lisch, Ennis, Dunigan.

As for Cats fans...the game's in Brisbane. At Boondall, which is an extra reason to look forward to it. Hopefully they can fill it.

Reply #597726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a poor article.

He is saying 5 of the ten 'exciting' games are in the first 3 rounds. Then no exciting games in December and only 1 in January.

Yeah OK.

Reply #597727 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As I said- only a few are ahead of Beal. His grand final heroics and clutch games, eg in Wollongong last year, mean he is forever a Wildcat hero.

"The game" is in Brisbane? Are they only meeting once this season?

Reply #597728 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He is saying 5 of the ten 'exciting' games are in the first 3 rounds. Then no exciting games in December and only 1 in January.

Yeah OK.
It's probably a fair call at this point. Without any matchup history, it's really about first matchups between teams, or getting to see certain players for the first time. Once things get underway there will be other games that will become exciting.

As I said- only a few are ahead of Beal.
I listed 17 people, significantly more than 'a few'. Of those 17, 14 have stood the test of time in a way Beal hasn't had to yet.

Give it two years and nobody will remember that Illawarra game. It wouldn't crack the top 40 for games in Wildcats history:
vs 36ers, 16/8/85
vs Falcons, 6/6/87
@ Tigers, 6/9/87
@ 36ers, 87 SF G2
@ 36ers, 87 SF G3
@ Giants, 89 SF G2
@ Giants, 90 SF G3
vs Bullets, 90 GF G1
@ Bullets, 90 GF G3
@ Spectres, 91 GF G1
vs Spectres, 91 GF G3
@ Falcons, 14/8/92
@ Magic, 24/4/93
@ Cannons, 10/7/93
vs Giants, 93 EF G2
@ Magic, 2/6/95
vs Tigers, 95 EF G3
@ Giants, 95 GF G2
vs Giants, 95 GF G3
vs Real Madrid, 95 McDonald's Championship
@ 36ers, 4/5/96
vs 36ers, 9/5/97
@ 36ers, 11/7/97
vs Giants, 15/2/98
vs Magic, 3/4/98
vs 36ers, 26/2/00
@ Crocodiles, 00 SF G3
vs Titans, 00 GF G2
vs Titans, 20/1/01
vs Tigers, 24/11/01
vs Hawks, 5/1/02
vs Kings, 8/11/02
vs Razorbacks, 5/11/06
vs Kings, 11/11/06
@ Breakers, 10/12/09
vs Hawks, 10 GF G3
vs Breakers, 12 GF G2
vs Breakers, 6/12/13
vs 36ers, 14 GF G3
vs Kings, 24/10/14
vs United, 10/12/15
vs Breakers, 16 GF G3

I'm sure there are plenty of others that are at least around equal with the Hawks game.

If that's the bar, then you need to add guys like Feaster, Tucker, Lichti, R Brooks, Thompson, Ronaldson (who arguably deserves a place on the first list), Van Dyke, D Brooks, and probably plenty of others to the list.

Reply #597729 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

few
fjuː/Submit
determiner, pronoun, & adjective
a small number of.

noun
the minority of people; the elect.

Some would say that, in the context of how many players have played for the Wildcats over the journey, being in the top 10 or 12 would indeed mean that only a few are ahead of him.

Many on your list are very questionable- Harvey, Dunigan? Ennis (who was a superstar but played only one season), Stewart- who did play 6 years but wasn't even in Beal's league as an individual, the same would apply to Watterson and Torrance.

Reply #597735 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Give it two years and nobody will remember that Illawarra game."

Will anybody remember the 2014 championship where Beal won the MVP? What about the 2016 championship?

How many players have been a key player (top 3 or 4 players on the team) in multiple championship seasons for the Wildcats?

Only a few...

Reply #597736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What about the 2016 championship?"

Did Beal play? I only remember Marto...

Reply #597737 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unlike 2014, Beal didn't star in the actual 2016 grand final.

But who got the Cats there in the first place? Beal was possibly the most significant individual, since he was playing about 35 minutes a game when Martin was out injured! Without him they would've been screwed. Beal actually averaged 32.2 minutes a game through the season.

But oh, of course, Harvey, Stewart, Watterson and a stack of others are more significant figures in Wildcats history!

Reply #597738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahaha oh come on now! You're trying to make a point about who the most significant player was for the Cats in 2016 and you just state the minutes played?

Not saying I agree with koberulz but minutes played (especially under Gleeson) is not a sign of having an impact.

Reply #597739 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

By the way, I didn't write the article so I'm not promoting sh#t but comments, I just scour hoops sites at work when I'm bored and thought this would be a good topic / debate.

We need more threads or commenters on this site.

Dazz used to be good for this, but we might have sledged him too much.

Reply #597740 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Are you forgetting that the reason Beal was playing so many minutes was because the Wildcats literally didn't have anyone else to play guard?

If Beal had been injured early last season, it would've been season over for the Cats. At the very least, they would've had to rush to find an injury replacement, and almost definitely wouldn't have ended up with home court advantage in the playoffs- Beal was a *huge* part of the reason that they ended up with a winning record at the halfway point.

Given Martin's multiple injuries which meant 10 games missed and some other games where he was returning to the side and wasn't ready for big minutes, Beal became easily the most important player on the team for the first half of the season. (With Prather second).

Reply #597741 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"If Beal had been injured early last season, it would've been season over for the Cats."

That should've said *could've* been season over.

Given how bunched up the NBL season is these days, where teams are regularly playing 4 games in 10 or 11 days and things like that, I think it's reasonable to suggest that the Wildcats would have been in a world of hurt had Beal been injured

As it happened, Beal stood up in Martin's absence and the Wildcats went on their merry way towards another title

Reply #597742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"because the Wildcats literally didn't have anyone else to play guard?"

Jarrad Kenny? You didn't watch many games, did you?

And in terms of who was the EASILY the most important in the first half of the season, Jawai and Knight say hello.

Reply #597743 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

"Are you serious? Off the top of my head: Ellis, Crawford, Bruton, Pinder, Grace, Torrance, Watterson, Vlahov, Fisher, Harvey, Stewart, Rogers, Redhage, Martin, Lisch, Ennis, Dunigan."

Your list was great until you mentioned Dunigan. How could you possibly mention him among the greats after what, 10 games?? I wish people would let go of that pleb.

And Harvey barely played enough games in a Cats uniform. His best years were elsewhere.

Reply #597744 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I watched a stack of games FYI

As I said- if Beal had gotten injured the Cats wouldn't have even had an NBL level player to replace him except perhaps Hire, who isn't really a guard. The same does apply to Kenny, and Kenny did an admirable job in Martin's absence as well, but he isn't in Beal's class as you would obviously know.

My point is that with Martin out injured for extended periods with multiple injuries, Beal was the most important player on the team. Jawai was good too, but with Knight and Jervis there, he wasn't needed anything like as much as Beal was. Not even remotely close.

Reply #597745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheldon you have way too much time on your hands to list all those games! The whole season will be tight and to be honest. Come round 5 will be blockbuster type games each round as the top 4 is not many to go through to the finals and teams seem so even.

Reply #597748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome how quickly this turned into another stupid cats thread. By the time others have a read, it's too late to even add any comments, it's all just copy and paste heroes throwing how far their memories and knowledge of the cats history goes back in your face.

This season is going to be absolutely left all around. If the teams have recruited as well as it appears, could be another afl scenario where it all comes down to percentage. So expect some classics in the final round.

Reply #597749 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I think we can all agree that Dunigan is the greatest Wildcat ever.

I'm not looking forward to 10 games, i'm legitimately looking forward to every single game. I've already told my wife not to declare me legally dead if she doesn't see me for 6 months....

Reply #597751 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yeah, even last season I tried to watch every game I could, even Townsville related. ;)

With the teams this season, it's a no brainer.

Gonna be a good summer of bball action for me.

Reply #597752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's gone from being possibly the most significant player, to easily the most important, in the space of five minutes!

In terms of his actual impact (not some what-if scenario) on the team, Beal was not the biggest reason for the Cats getting back to the GF last season.

Reply #597753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Awesome how quickly this turned into another stupid cats thread. By the time others have a read, it's too late to even add any comments, it's all just copy and paste heroes throwing how far their memories and knowledge of the cats history goes back in your face.

This season is going to be absolutely left all around. If the teams have recruited as well as it appears, could be another afl scenario where it all comes down to percentage. So expect some classics in the final round."

Yet you managed to comment anyway...

Reply #597755 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"He's gone from being possibly the most significant player, to easily the most important, in the space of five minutes!

In terms of his actual impact (not some what-if scenario) on the team, Beal was not the biggest reason for the Cats getting back to the GF last season."

Pay closer attention next time. What I said was...

"But who got the Cats there in the first place? Beal was possibly the most significant individual"

Then later I said...

"Beal became easily the most important player on the team for the first half of the season. (With Prather second)."

and then...

"My point is that with Martin out injured for extended periods with multiple injuries, Beal was the most important player on the team."

Initially I was talking about The season as a whole, and later I was talking purely about the first half of the season when Martin was either out injured, or recovering and working his way back into the rotation.

Reply #597757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, so you admit to shifting the goalposts when you needed to.

Reply #597758 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I haven't shifted any goal posts- the comments are entirely consistent with each other.

If you can't see that then you need to return to primary school and work on your reading comprehension skills.

Reply #597759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take this cats shit to a Facebook page to bicker amongst yourselves... Two commented yet again. Making the point it's getting tiresome.

As for the season I'm starting to get excited. The rio stuff helped a bit and now I can't wait to see guys like David Andersen going at it. And I'm not a united fan. That's the key when you have a league worth supporting when cross town city fans get excited about players and teams they don't usually show interest in.

Reply #597760 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And in terms of Beal's overall importance, my question from before stands:

"How many players have been a key player (top 3 or 4 players on the team) in multiple championship seasons for the Wildcats?

Only a few..."

I said 3 or 4 there specically to avoid any tangental debates, because Beal being in the top 3 or 4 in 2014 and 2016 is pretty much indisputable.

And as I said- a few could mean 10 or 12, given how many players have suited up for the Cats over 30+ years.

Reply #597761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for the season I'm starting to get excited. The rio stuff helped a bit and now I can't wait to see guys like David Andersen going at it. And I'm not a united fan. That's the key when you have a league worth supporting when cross town city fans get excited about players and teams they don't usually show interest in."

Take that to a Mundane Sports Comments facebook page.

Reply #597762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, its more appropriate here. Its not cat spam.

Reply #597763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats page is already to full with mundane comments to add more.

Reply #597764 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Some would say that, in the context of how many players have played for the Wildcats over the journey, being in the top 10 or 12 would indeed mean that only a few are ahead of him.
I listed 17, not 10 or 12, and those are just the ones that would be clearly ahead of him I could think of at the time. I'm not even saying he's directly behind those 17. For example, I've just realised I forgot to list Marcus Timmons.

Many on your list are very questionable- Harvey
Had his breakout years in a Wildcats uniform, made the 30th Anniversary Team.

Ennis (who was a superstar but played only one season)
And was the most popular Wildcat since the Big Four retired.

Stewart- who did play 6 years but wasn't even in Beal's league as an individual
I'm not sure if you're underrating Stewart or overrating Beal.

the same would apply to Watterson and Torrance.
West Aussies who played a decade plus in Wildcats uniforms at the peak of the NBL boom.

How many players have been a key player (top 3 or 4 players on the team) in multiple championship seasons for the Wildcats?
Crawford, Grace, Pinder, Vlahov, Fisher, Martin, Knight. Stewart, Cattalini and Rogers in the next tier down of guys who contributed to one and starred in another.

But oh, of course, Harvey, Stewart, Watterson and a stack of others are more significant figures in Wildcats history!
You didn't say 'significant figures in Wildcats history' the first time, you said 'embedded in Wildcats folklore'.

Your list was great until you mentioned Dunigan. How could you possibly mention him among the greats after what, 10 games?? I wish people would let go of that pleb.
See the above distinction between significance and folklore (and also the hint of my tongue in my cheek).

As for Harvey, he played his 100th early in the 2002/03 season, and finished out the 2003/04 season with the club. Not sure what number he eventually got to, but it wouldn't have been small.

My point is that with Martin out injured for extended periods with multiple injuries, Beal was the most important player on the team.
Okay, so he was an important player for a small stretch of the season for that ended in a championship, and had a huge grand final series. Again, Marcus Timmons has done that and he at least did both in the same year.

Remember, Beal was utter garbage for a lot of 2014, people wanted him sacked.

I said 3 or 4 there specically to avoid any tangental debates, because Beal being in the top 3 or 4 in 2014 and 2016 is pretty much indisputable.
2014: Ennis, Martin, Knight, Redhage.
2016: Jawai, Knight, Prather, Martin.

Sheldon you have way too much time on your hands to list all those games!
It took approximately five minutes.

Yeah, even last season I tried to watch every game I could, even Townsville related
Townsville were one of the best teams to watch last year.

Reply #597811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone has alot of time on their hands

Reply #597815 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Y'all must type really slow.

Reply #597816 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Had some good young talent and the crazy finish over Adelaide was classic for sure, along with beating Perth, a couple of rare bright spots for fans that actually did attend games to enjoy.

This year every team has a good roster worth watching.

So many good moments / finishes from last season, we'd expect this one to go up another notch.

Reply #597817 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR, There's really not much point continuing the discussion if you think Knight was in the Wildcats top 3 or 4 players for the 2014 season and Martin was in 2016.

They both missed about half the season!

Reply #597818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, its just getting awakward man. How much time can one possibly have. Im assuming you dont have much time occupied in the lady department. Check the heading, this is not a Cats thread. Move on.

Reply #597819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR, to get to the point where you're rebutting the terminology of 'signicant figures' and 'folklore' you really need to stop. Everyone knew exactly what the post was referring too. Its like calling you a dickhead or a douche, its the same thing.

Reply #597820 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So did Beal, just in a different sense.

You could have him in those spots, sure, but it's not 'indisputable'.

Reply #597821 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

(Previous post in response to LV)

Reply #597822 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR, to get to the point where you're rebutting the terminology of 'signicant figures' and 'folklore' you really need to stop. Everyone knew exactly what the post was referring too.
It was in the context of discussing the potential fan reaction to Beal's return to Perth; I think my initial interpretation of it is fair.

Reply #597823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Had some good young talent and the crazy finish over Adelaide was classic for sure, along with beating Perth, a couple of rare bright spots for fans that actually did attend games to enjoy.
Beat Perth convincingly in Townsville, had that huge comeback win in Perth, beat Melbourne in Melbourne, that home game against Adelaide, beat Sydney on the buzzer in Sydney, won more games by the halfway mark than they were expected to win all season...

Throw in the exciting style of play and the youth of the group, and they were a compelling prospect. Really disappointed they're not going to have a chance to build on that.

Reply #597825 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It is indisputable that Beal was ahead of Knight in 2014 and ahead of Martin in 2016 terms of being a top player for the Wildcats.

It's also indisputable that Beal has a greater place in Wildcats history and folklore than Anthony Stewart!

The fact that you even argue those particular points says that you're more interested in mass debating than anything else. Take a step back and chill. No surprise why so many around here think you're a dick

Reply #597826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And regarding the folklore/significant distinction: if we go with significance Dunigan, Watterson, Torrance and possibly Harvey come out. Tucker, Feaster, and Hansen go in. Again, just off the top of my head.

Lichti should probably go on the folklore list as well, if not both.

Reply #597827 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I mean, Stewart was just a role player

Beal was huge in 2014 grand final, and was huge in the 2016 season when he was called upon to shoulder the load as Martin was out injured. Hence Beal played pretty much every minute he could possibly handle. Cats fans should be kissing the feet of Beal really for his role on two championship teams, where as Stewart was a relatively minor player

Reply #597828 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is indisputable that Beal was ahead of Knight in 2014 and ahead of Martin in 2016 terms of being a top player for the Wildcats.
It clearly isn't, because I'm disputing it.

If I had as much time as some people think I do, I'd go through those two years and list off the games in which Beal did absolutely nothing worthwhile. I reckon it'd approach the 'games missed through injury' totals for the other two.

It's also indisputable that Beal has a greater place in Wildcats history and folklore than Anthony Stewart!
Seriously? Stewart played six seasons for two championships, starting for all of 2000 and half of 1995, twice tied the club's three-point shooting record, helped cap off an 18-point half-time comeback against Adelaide late in 2000 that took them to the top of the ladder, and was named in the club's 30th Anniversary team.

Beal played three seasons for two championships, both as a starter, once tied and once set the club's three-point shooting record, led a fight-back against Illawarra in Illawarra too early in the season for it to be all that meaningful, and would have a serious case to replace either Stewart or Harvey were the Anniversary team to be named today.

Reply #597829 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

As award winning as Beal was, as a longtime fan I personally would rate Stewie over Beal.

As history will remember it though, Beal with his GF MVP, Team MVP plus some occasional talk of his 40 points (10 3's) in 3 quarters in a top two clash plus footage online of it on YT, would come out on top.

Reply #597830 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR, I'm disputing your ability to have a conversation without resorting to meaningless mass debating.

Therefore, it is not indisputable that you are capable of having a reasonable conversation.

Stewart wasn't in the 30th anniversary team.

It was

Crawford/Rogers
Fisher/Pinder
Vlahov/Redhage
Lisch/Harvey
Grace/Ellis

If that team were named today, Beal would take Harvey's spot.

Reply #597831 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't he? I swear I remember some debate about it; must have been people arguing for him to take one of those two spots.

In any event, the other points still stand.

Reply #597832 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Just gonna leave this here: http://www.davemanuel.com/investor-dictionary/recency-bias/

Reply #597833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks shelden you ruined another thread because of your arrogance to always have the last word. You could be such a great inclusive informative forum user but instead you have become spam to many who use this. But as long as your the man in your own world. Go start your own forum somewhere else and leave us lesser folk to discuss things.

Reply #597834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz with the 'wasn't he?' Can bet my house he googled the shit out of that team before playing vague in response haha

Reply #597835 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I get goosebumps seeing 4 of the best players in the club played together at the same time, what an era.

I must admit that shooting guard spot has always been a sore spot until Lisch arrived.

Reply #597836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing in Stewie's favour is longevity. Beal clearly the better player and more influential in winning titles.

Reply #597839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best advice is to ignore KR.

Reply #597844 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm with Beal ahead of Stewart, but if you redid the 30 year team Martin should make it ahead of both of them,whichever way you had to massage the positioning to make it work.

Reply #597849 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Crawford/Rogers
Fisher/Pinder
Vlahov/Redhage
Ellis/Lisch
Grace/Martin

Not really sure about Lisch either, TBH. At the time he was still active and showed no sign of leaving, so it seemed a good pick, but he doesn't really have the longevity to fit in with that roster anymore. You could almost have Stewart in that spot.

Reply #597851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lastwordrulzzzzzz.

As for the actual topic, id like to see some old school hype around the now competitve Kings and United. The NBL needs that Victoria NSW hype and grunt about it. Star studded game that will be, whenever it the first one is.

Reply #597854 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anthony Stewart ahead of Lisch and Beal?

KR, it's time to quit smoking that heavy stuff!

Reply #597864 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Go easy and maybe reduce to one session a day to start with...

Reply #597865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I quit reading anything with orange attached, but surely he didnt say that? Stewart was a mere bench player who could make the odd big 3, Lisch and Beal, were legit game changing stars who also won rings. Stweart had one hell of a big head though, literally!

Reply #597874 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A mere bench player who started four and a half of his five seasons, including the championship team in 2000.

He played almost as many seasons for Perth as Lisch and Beal combined, which is why I'd have him in the discussion in terms of an anniversary team. In terms of overall talent Lisch wins that contest hands down.

Reply #597875 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sorry, that should be started four and a half of his six seasons.

Reply #597876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont care how many seasons he was there, or if he started some games etc he was a role player, a minor role player. I dont care for Perth, but to put him in over Lisch would be the complete undoing of you based on he should be there because he hung around. Didnt Dewey Michaels play mutlipe seasons and win a title too... your points as to why he should be included are weak.

Reply #597885 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I dont care how many seasons he was there, or if he started some games etc he was a role player, a minor role player.
If he started, he wasn't a bench player. That's the definition.

I'd also say no starters are 'minor' role players, even if they are role players. And then there's the question of how exactly you define 'role player' - "star" is a role after all. Vlahov was a role player. Vukona is a role player.

Didnt Dewey Michaels play mutlipe seasons and win a title too.
He played three. Less than Lisch, same as Beal. He played zero minutes in the 2000 grand final, and not much more than that throughout the regular season. You're being ridiculous.

Here's a Wildcats anniversary team you might like more:
Rogers/Crawford
Fisher/Ronaldson
Redhage/Feaster
Ennis/Lisch
Grace/Martin

But most people would laugh you out of the room.

Reply #597886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You calling anyone on this forum rediculous is well a 'laughed out of the room' statement. Look at how deep into this thread you have gone to debate a cats anniversary team and that scrub Anthony Stewart. All over definitions and minute descriptions. A role player can start some games and also be a starter in some and the outside world will see him potentially as a guy who started the majority of his career or was a bench player. I never remembered Stewart as being a key starter always thought he was a bench guy who filled in gaps. But you clearly 'need this' so the debate cookies go to you. If only you had a single soul who could bare being in the same room as you long enough, you too could be laughed out of it. Enjoy, you win, you always do.

Ps you've offended Dewey now

Reply #597888 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A role player can start some games and also be a starter in some and the outside world will see him potentially as a guy who started the majority of his career or was a bench player.
Truly Trumpesque. Lots of words, seems like it must mean something...actually doesn't.

I never remembered Stewart as being a key starter always thought he was a bench guy who filled in gaps.
Are we seriously having an argument about whether he started or not? It's not a matter of opinion, it's an actual verifiable fact. Are you Dazz?

Reply #597934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can one poster be so offended at someone's opinion of Anthony Stewart not being a massively positive one. Shelden shelden shelden...

Reply #597943 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kobe you're such a literalist lol

Can't you see that perception matters here, KR?

Ie: No one will be saying in 10 years time that they aren't sure or can't quite remember whether Lisch or Beal were starters or not...

Reply #597944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's exactly the point LV, he is so crazy with literal power. It's not up for discussion with them but with stewie you'd need to google etc unless you're a die hard cats fan.

Reply #597945 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can't you see that perception matters here, KR?

Ie: No one will be saying in 10 years time that they aren't sure or can't quite remember whether Lisch or Beal were starters or not...
Perhaps, but you could also possibly say that of a guy like Warrick Giddey. I mean, anon here called Stewart a 'scrub', which is clearly untrue regardless of what you think of his comparison with Beal, Lisch, and Harvey.

I've gone back over the OzHoops discussion of the 30th Anniversary team and quite a few people had him in over Harvey, which is obviously where I got the idea he'd been picked.

Regardless of that, it just doesn't feel right to have guys whose Wildcats careers were so short in an anniversary team. Lisch has gone on to an MVP elsewhere already and has a long career ahead of him outside of Perth. Beal was only around for three years.

On pure talent, yes, Lisch is miles ahead.

Reply #597950 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

What's with the KR bashing, everyone? Back off. This is not a site for having a go at a fellow basketball enthusiast, it's a site for basketball enthusiasts to have interesting discussions.

Nothing KR has said is ridiculous, and many of the posts decrying what he's said either are ridiculous, or don't carry much weight. Have a dispassionate read through the posts on this thread and you would have to agree with me, I think. There are reasons behind everything he's said, and he's backed himself up with facts.

All you Anons who want to post rubbish about other people, at least have the guts to define yourself by getting a name on this forum, please.

Reply #597955 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

he's backed himself up with facts.
Well, except for the Stewart-on-the-anniversary-team thing.

Reply #597956 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Stewie was the real MVP of 95 GF.. that shot he made from the top of the key late in Game 3 had everyone up..

Reply #597958 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Was Anthony Stewart a better basketball player than Nate Tomlinson?

Tomlinson led the league in assists one year. That's arguably a greater individual accomplishment than anything Stewart did.

Reply #597968 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, Stewart was most certainly better than Tomlinson.

Reply #597976 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's not indisputable to say that Stewart was a better player though.

It's not indisputable because I'm disputing it!

Reply #597977 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stewie vs Beal is an argument of longevity vs quality and those tend to have a grey area of personal preference.

I'll back Stewie in as a better player than Nate though, even though he wasn't the type to lead the league in things (he did finish top 5 in the league in 3P% a couple of times). A more complete player IMO.
(Give me Harvey over Stewie though. Peter Crawford too)

Reply #597978 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

10 games? How about everygame!

Reply #597980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR brings it on himself, he disagrees with everything anyone says and won't stop till the the rest have lost interest. Every single thread he gets involved in he ruins his clear knowledge and long memory of NBL stuff with arrogant denouncing of every single point. It is tiresome.

Reply #597990 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR brings it on himself, he disagrees with everything anyone says
I do not.

Reply #597991 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Perth won the championship last year.

Cairns beat Perth tonight.

NBL maths;

I don't want to go with the early crow although the championship will be heading north this season.

Reply #597993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, you do. Notice not many others have to 'defend' themselves as much you. You just need to relax on the literal stuff it's a forum for some fun and intellectual chit chat about basketball that most of us can't have with our wives. You don't need to turn it into an antagonistic thing every time. People in general don't like having their words picked on for no real reason. Look at the one common denominator...

Reply #597994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, you do.
Anyone hear a faint whistling noise?

Reply #597995 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Do the Beal lovers only remember his good games.

Gets lucky every now and then and particularly lucky that it happened in a GF series.

He is a legend in fantasy ball of course. Piss poor performances are now referred to as Bealin'

Chucker.

Reply #597996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what else is tiresome? Attacking koberulz for explaining how he arrives at his opinions. You don't have too agree with him but he is attempting to explain himself, which is much better than "hahaha you just copy and pasted something OMG this is boring."

Reply #597998 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My above posts were pure tongue in cheek.

Stewart was a better player than Nate Tomlinson.

But it's not as ridiculous a proposition as suggesting that Anthony Stewart make the anniversary team ahead of Kevin Lisch, who led him team to the title with a grand final MVP, won an NBL MVP and first team gig. And won the Wildcats season MVP 3 times in his 4 years with Perth.

Reply #598001 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How clear do I have to make it that the argument for Lisch over Stewart is one of longevity, not talent, abilities or achievements? And if we look back at what I actually said to start this tangent:

Not really sure about Lisch either, TBH. At the time he was still active and showed no sign of leaving, so it seemed a good pick, but he doesn't really have the longevity to fit in with that roster anymore. You could almost have Stewart in that spot.

Almost.

Reply #598003 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

^That should be 'argument for Stewart over Lisch'.

Reply #598004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au Threads to look forward to this season-
* All the Wildcats game threads
* 100+ other threads that somehow end up becoming Wildcats threads

Reply #598005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longevity doesn't count for anything these days. Money talks and players walk... Sadly the one club players are nearly a thing of the past. If I was picking teams it's be based on dominance individually and titles won etc it's nice when guys hang around but longevity doesn't mean much in that discussion.

Reply #598007 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR quit the semantics. Even raising that as a possibility is ridiculous. Floating the idea as an "almost" is absurd.

Saying that Stewart could have even a chance of getting in ahead of Lisch makes as much sense as saying Hoare could get into a Tigers team ahead of Anstey or Corletto could get in ahead of Dave Thomas.

Reply #598008 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Because the whole suggestion is based upon the fact that Stewart played 6 seasons and Lisch played 4.

Reply #598009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754