koberulz
Years ago

NBL Court Design

This came up last year, but court design around the league is pretty average. All the new venues have exactly the same courts with the blank out-of-bounds areas that cause the players all sorts of problems. The NBL logo being centre circle is taking away a team branding opportunity, and then on top of that last season the NBL insisted on the app and Chemist Warehouse being advertised in the keyways of all teams that couldn't find a sponsor to fill those spots.

Threw together some designs myself, based on last season's sponsors:
Adelaide:

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8568/r3WAJD.jpg

NZ:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8116/52lQQb.jpg

Perth:

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/950/DHizom.jpg

Topic #39866 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

It irks me for no reason really that the Wildcats dont at least just wrap the outside of the whole court with red.

Someone said its because they sell the baseline as advertising space, well have the advertising as a bumper sticker with different background colour like on the jerseys then.

So, yes please! I think you can still accommodate the sponsors and achieve a more aesthetically pleasing court design. Your mock ups are definitely the right idea.

Reply #597746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Perth one looks great, you should send it on to the club!

Reply #597747 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yeah that's gotta be on the agenda in the future if the NBL wants to be taken seriously.

Setting standards and guidelines for clubs to follow like the NBA does.

That whole NSEC dark floor thing is just bad.

Reply #597750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather have no outside paint than the inch gap between the line and the paint they have at Hisense. I think it actually causes players to step out of bounds because they think they have their extra inch.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/53482937a5e665a8bc948c9d4bbf7dca?width=650

Reply #597785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Someone said its because they sell the baseline as advertising space, well have the advertising as a bumper sticker with different background colour like on the jerseys then.
You can just do what I've done with the Breakers one. Or what the Wildcats themselves did one year at Challenge, although I don't remember which year it was. The whole out-of-bounds area was red, the team logo was on each baseline right under the basket, and there were sponsor logos either side. Problem solved.

That being said, the expense is perhaps a bigger issue. But then, they can afford fireworks coming out of the lighting rigs every time someone hits a three, and banners coming down from the ceiling, and whatever else that doesn't actually affect the game or show up on TV.

Reply #597887 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

The NSEC floor is what it is (given the community arena status) - I just wish at some point in the last 10 years they could've re-done the court.

Reply #597960 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Surely its not that hard to change it.. Breakers owners are Millionaires who can chip in and even a crappy local rec centre has better flooring.

Reply #597962 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love how the Wildcats logo looks formidable on the floor as your dribbling your way up the court, sadly that forthright isn't being applied and nor is flipping the logo and having it under each basket.

Well done on the designs, feels so much more professional and thought out than the crap we had last season

Reply #598272 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

so much more professional and thought out
Interesting you should say that, because I spent about two minutes whipping these up in Photoshop.

I should also say, in case there are any NBL clubs reading this: I'm more than happy for you to go ahead and use those designs.

Reply #598336 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

It'd be good to get confirmation from any team or NBL rep in here once in awhile if they do read..

Reply #598360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, team reps do read here occasionally. I don't think any would disagree that having the team colour and branding outside the court looks better.

Key ways and center circle get the most TV air time so this is where the most sponsor dollars come from.

Some or most teams use courts that are owned by the venue. If that venue is used by other sports such as netball the decals need to be pulled up and then reapplied which is costly. Melbourne in the past used to have these applied each game.

The NBL specifies what areas on the court can be used for club branding, club sponsors and what needs to be left for league sponsors.

Some stadiums demand their name is prominent on the court.

Reply #598375 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL specifies what areas on the court can be used for club branding, club sponsors and what needs to be left for league sponsors.
And this is part of the problem - the NBL taking over the centre circle the past couple of years.

Reply #598386 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When I put these together I basically worked under the assumption the NBL had become reasonable and decided to have its logo elsewhere (because otherwise the whole exercise is pointless), but outside of that all logos from last season are in exactly the same place, at exactly the same size, as reality. I've just changed what's around them.

Minor alteration to the Breakers design:

Reply #598416 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Updated Perth's:

Reply #599530 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

It looks nice, but the key could probably do with a bit of red

Reply #599534 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well, looks like the NBL is keeping the centre circle to themselves again.

Brisbane have different colours in each keyway, as well, which never looks good.

They have the money for two of their own decals, but they're stuck near the sidelines because of the NBL promotion in the middle of the floor. It should be the other way around.

Reply #600549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court design and team logos are the next area to be improved centrally driven by LK. The logos are so old and stale, look at the relatively new KHL (ice hockey league) in Europe and the awesome and intimidating logos of each team. Something like that.

Courts on the other hand need to emulate what you see on the floor at Kansas Jayhawks - oversized logo repping your team, put that cool factor onto the flooring to make it distinctive on TV.

Reply #600592 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Team branding as a whole, really. Logos aren't a huge issue for most teams, but jersey and court designs are severely lacking.

Unfortunately, the league is actually a part of the problem when it comes to courts, taking the centre circle away from teams and mandating non-matching keyways in clubs without keyway sponsors, so I'm not sure we should hope that they'll ever solve it.

Reply #600599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logos are an issue since they stink.

Reply #600603 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So the Breakers just posted a photo from the stadium tonight...with a bloody Europcar-sponsored keyway, same as Sydney and Brisbane had. Despite the Breakers having had Skycity in the keyways in past years, and Skycity still being a sponsor.

The Wildcats posted a photo earlier in the week of training from the arena, keyways were empty and the alcoholthinkagain decals had been moved to the baseline.

I think it's safe to conclude now that the NBL has taken over the keyways as well as the centre circle, and is now mandating non-matching keyways while further marginalising team sponsorship opportunities.

Garbage.

Reply #600823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no really? say it isn't so. that's bs i hate it when companies want to give the league money

Reply #600827 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Companies were already paying for those spots, without insisting each keyway be its own color. Now teams have to find somewhere else to put those logos, which those sponsors probably aren't too happy about that.

And it looks absolutely awful.

Reply #600832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754