Very Old
Years ago

Michael Aylen - First full time NBL ref

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/key-nbl-refs-to-go-fulltime/

more than about tiume.

When you look at the number of complaints from fans , coaches and players, and the league payroll, its a no-brainer to start paying some of these guys a full time wage, yes i know its only a 4-5 month league, but even so - its a question of providing a quality product.

Topic #39873 | Report this topic

7 time champs  
Years ago

His the most arrogant out of them all, good for the league, pity the refs are not up to standard.

Reply #597857 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

After watching the Olympics I think the standard of our refs are pretty decent compared to them.

Reply #597938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is he arrogant? Is it because he doesnt get influenced by the Perth crowds like others do and just calls it as he sees it?

Reply #597939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen has been putting the hard yards for years on and off the court. 3 time Olympic ref and gold medal games too. Well done and if he is full time then the pay must make it worthwhile leaving his job ;)

Reply #598051 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Improving quality'

Full time referees is a great idea, but let's face it, that idea has only been held back due to financial reasons, now that the league can afford it we can finally employ full time referees.

How can this translate into improved quality?

I think it needs to happen in these areas:

Communication
Understanding
Common Sense
Feel for the Game
Consistency

If we can see even a 10% improvement in these things I will be impressed. Whether one full time referee can make the difference remains to be seen. Until all NBL referees can be full timers, we will always be in transition...

Reply #598060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would hope that whoever is appointed will now be able to spend all their time working on those areas and the game itself. Rather than having to juggle there primary employment and squeeze in refereeing. Just from that aspect alone hopefully it will make a difference.

Reply #598062 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

having sat in on some post-game debriefs of NBL and SEABL referees as part of the referee coaching system, many many years ago, I can only say that I'm expecting this to also upgrade the standard of those coaching activities.

My experience is a decade or more old now, but some of those providing the coaching were seriously deficient at times,

Just how well some of the more experienced referees maintained their patience with the floggs was good to see.

Then at other times you would have the referee coaches just suck up to the experienced ref and clearly either consciously or unconsciously not point out some of the most obvious errors.

With the referees going full time i would expect that they will demand better education as well.

Reply #598067 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope this means that there is also more coaching available so that we can bring up the next generation of officials.

Hopefully this also means than He sticks around for far more years as he is our best and if he isn't then that only adds to the standard of the league

Reply #598085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754