Dr Dunkenstein
Years ago

Most Overrated NBA Player Ever

Fox Sports have this interesting article as to who they think is the most Overrated NBA player ever.

On the list, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Peter Maravich, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

Good reading, but IMO a load of crap.

What your thoughts on the article, and other NBA players that are overrated?

Topic #3992 | Report this topic

m dizzle  
Years ago

maybe a wanker of the week award could be started with this guy as the inaugral winner....

Charles Barkley:
managed to dominate the boards and score over a 20 a game in his prime at a 'towering' 6'5/6'6 playing power forward. Yeh he wasnt in the best shape but neither is shaq is he overrated? oh did i mention he beat out jordan for an mvp award wen he led the suns to the finals in 1993.

Walt Bellamy:
never saw him play but surely u cant make the NBA hall of fame unless youve got a fair amount of game.

Patrick Ewing:
career avgs of 21 ppg, 9.8ppg, 2.45bpg and avgd.
Didnt even come to the states til he was 11 and was named one of the 50 greatest players of all time. Not bad for someone that couldnt move, last time i checked not many 7 footers were that agile.

Karl Malone:
career avgs of 25ppg and 10rpg, 2 time league mvp - couldnt have been all stockton if he won 2 of those babies, not to mention that after stockton retired he still managed to avg 20 and 8 in his late 30's. one of the greatest power forwards of all time hands down.

Pete Maravich:
Never saw him play but ive heard he's one of the best shooters and ball handlers of all time.

Gary Payton:
name one player in the 90's capable of stopping michael jordan, ok now name one player capable of stopping michael jordan in the nba finals - 6 titles, 6 finals mvps. Ok so jordan who is 6'6, has a 40 inch vert prob more, and one of the greatest turnaround jumpshots of all time and this guy is dissing payton for jordan schooling him in the post???

David Robinson:
Cream Puff? Couldnt stand his ground? last time i recalled David Robinson was the buffest bastard ive ever seen. limited offensive game....i wish i could score 71 points in an NBA game wit a limited offensive game.

Reply #46444 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Charley Rosen has a serious history to dribbling shit...

He's written another article about the real Top 10 players for each position (some I agree with, others leave me shaking my head). Here are some links:

Centre: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3754212

PF:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3747894

He rates Kevin McHale as the second best all-time PF. I like McHale, but not that much!!!!

SF:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3742360

SG:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3737458

At least he got this one right with Jordan as No 1

PG:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3734262

Coach:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3764394

6th Man: (WTF)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3758866

He's got the best ever 6th man at number 5. Second best at 6.

Reply #46447 | Report this post

Years ago

chris webber aka c webb

Reply #47973 | Report this post

David N  
Years ago

i would have 2 say...C webb

Reply #48186 | Report this post

David N  
Years ago

U CAN't say anything about David Robinson..how can u say he is offensivley limited when he is the only player in history 2 drop a Quadruple double

Reply #48187 | Report this post

i think you will find that the first ever quadruple double was recorded by Nate Thurmond

Reply #48208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and one of the most UNDERRATED player EVER, Alvin Robertson, also had a quadruple-double once as well.
If you don't know who he is, go here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roberal01.html

Reply #48304 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

im wondering who ppl think is the most overrated current player. Id say mine would be quentin richardson

Reply #48552 | Report this post

52-cans  
Years ago

Yao ming man! so much hype with little results!

Reply #48861 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

On the opening night of the 74-75 NBA season, Nate Thurmond made his Chicago Bulls' debut v the Atlanta Hawks (if I remember it rightly, it was on October 18 - I was 4 months' old!). He had 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks.

Other quadruple doubles:

Alvin Robertson, San Antonio v. Phoenix 2/18/86
20 pts, 11 reb, 10 ass, 10 stls.

Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston v. Milwaukee 3/29/90
18 pts, 16 reb, 10 ass, 11 bks.

David Robinson, San Antonio v. Detroit 2/17/94
34 pts, 10 reb, 10 ass, 10 bks.

Rebounds were not tabulated until the 1950-51 season and blocks were not tabulated until the 1973-74 season, so some great performances may not have been recorded.

Reply #48866 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks. THAT IS JUST MASSIVE. FAAAAAAARKKKKKKK.

Reply #49039 | Report this post

aliasunknown  
Years ago

i hate that article it insluts so many legends unfairly

Reply #49448 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Can I throw Scott Skiles into the mix of most overrated NBA player?

Reply #49451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Skiles had 30 assists in one game when playing for the Magic. That was in 1991 (before Shaq), so he must have been alright if he found someone to pass to that many times. Might have been giving it to Dennis Scott or someone hahahaha

Reply #49688 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Anyone that gets 30 assists cannot be in the most overrated of all time. That feat will never be repeated.

Reply #49862 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

that bald headed knob from foxsports.com has a massive chip on his shoulder. None of those guys could ever be overated they all made a name for them self for feats on the court!!! overated players should be newer guys who thought yeah i dont need to go to college im all that.. become lottery picks then become 2 or 3 yr duds!! dont like naming blokes but those young so called ballers who stuffed up our premier league with rookies with no skils kickin out awesome vets..

ritz

Reply #51715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to agree with ritz. Some new players stink. What happened to all of our basketball legends?

Reply #85991 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

How about Joe Smith and/or Kwame Brown? 2 number 1 picks that should not have been picked in the top 10 of their respective drafts....

Reply #85996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Smith has been servicable. I wouldn't say he was a complete flop.

Reply #85999 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No team would pick a player to be "servicable" as number 1, as I said anon, they shouldn't have been picked in the top 10. That is for "stars".... Kwame may turn into a star late ala Jermaine O'Neal but Joe Smith as pick 1.Please...

Reply #86011 | Report this post

bball  
Years ago

These are the most overrated today in my opinion, Carmelo Anthony and Dirk Nowitzki (can't play defense if his life depends on it)

Reply #87625 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

I would have to say Yao ming

Reply #89042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think ben wallace because he is a liability on offence plus his defencive stats were down this year (still ill though)

Reply #89488 | Report this post

Years ago

David Robinson was pretty well known in the mid-90s for coming up small in big games and generally being pretty soft. His own teammates (e.g. Dennis Rodman) even said so. It only got covered up recently because he won 2 titles with Tim Duncan's help.

Reply #89489 | Report this post

Clifford  
Years ago

JASON KIDD!!!

Reply #127280 | Report this post

Clint  
Years ago

Scottie Pippen....I'm not sure that he was as good as everyone let on. He was very good, enough to make the HOF as far as i'm concerned, but not better than the following. I could name at least 4 other players at his position(roughly) that didn't make the 50 greatest list and were better than him. These guys carried there teams for the most part except maybe English, he had a good cast with him.

1. Dominique Wilkins
2. Adrian Dantley
3. Alex English
4. Bob McAdoo

Reply #127923 | Report this post

fgfgre  
Years ago

u guys r so dumb haha omg

Reply #132330 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754