Isaac
Years ago

Bullets vs Breakers pre-season game, Sep 13

Anyone get to the game?

Brisbane Bullets 80 (Torrey Craig 20, Tom Jervis 12, Mitchell Young 12, Anthony Petrie 10) NZ Breakers 70 (Akil Mitchell 15, Corey Webster 13, Thomas Abercrombie 11). 1Q: 24-23; HT: 37-37; 3Q: 59-52
The Bullets were led by the capable Craig with a game-high 20 points on nine-of-18 shooting (0/4 from deep), to go with six boards, five assists and a pair of steals. Solid night for the athletic small forward.

The hard-working Mitchell Young (12 points), former Wildcat Tom Jervis (12 points, four rebounds) and ex-Adelaide 36er Anthony Petrie (10 points, six boards) provided the chief support.

The Breakers were paced by a promising 15 points (7/10 FG, 1/7 FT), two rebounds and three blocks by new import forward Akil Mitchell, though his suspect free-throw shooting has raised an early red flag. Corey Webster was five-of-17 from the floor en route to his 13 points and Tom Abercrombie a more efficient three-of-seven as he amassed 11 points, two rebounds and three assists.

New import point guard Ben Woodside hinted at his all-round class with seven points (3/10 FG), four boards, four assists and three steals in his first 26 minutes as a Breaker.
Full story

Topic #39932 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there, Breakers looked pretty rusty especially compared to the Bullets already semi-cohesive offence. The biggest thing I noticed though was there is no way Akil Mitchel is 6'9" as advertised. At best I'd suggest he's 6'6 - 6'7. I'd say there's a good chance he struggles physically against the PF/Cs in the NBL this season. His free throw shooting is going to be a major issue too I'm guessing, although that won't be anything new to the Breakers. Although in saying that he was their leading scorer last night.

Isaih Tueta looked pretty solid in the new colours, played fine on defense and hit some shots, but again the team didn't really appear to all be on the same page.

Bullets looked pretty decent actually, a few times there were preemptive passes meant for a player who hadn't quite made the cut at the right time, but I guess that's what you expect from a new group. I think they're going to be a fun team to watch this season, no big stand out stars, but a fun flowing offence, much like the Boomers I guess.

Reply #598991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754