Baller#3
Years ago

Young Players in the NBL

I was thinking a potential new pathway for young players should be developed for the NBL, to provide a chance for young players to be around a professional environment, whilst also able to study towards a degree.

What is there offered to players in the development player spot right now? Very little money, and not a whole lot else except a slight chance of eventually making the main squad.

Could this be an option?
10 man main squad + 3 development spots (1 per year).
Players who cant grab a main squad contract enter a draft system, and each team gets one pick.

Development players receive:
3 years guaranteed contract, so will at least train with the team for 3 years.
3 year university scholarship
$20,000 per year to live
(essentially all up around $30,000 per year)

This would replace the current system of development players and would help both players and clubs in the long term.

Topic #39934 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

I just think something along these lines could offer more to young players on the fringe. Having a degree when getting cut after 3 years atleast sets them up for something!

Reply #599042 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I would love every team to set up an academy for kids straight out of high school and as stated runs alongside a university degree.

The youth academy teams could play in U23 juniors and than play a tournament at the end of the year against other NBL academy's. Once the academy players reach a certain age, 21 for example, their team has the opportunity to sign that player to a set 1 year rookie salary. If the team declines that option the player is free to play wherever they like for whatever salary. This would stop team like Melbourne over paying for young kids to stash for the future and links local homegrown players to their hometown clubs on top of talent from other non NBL towns. Running it alongside a university degree could open up sponsorship pathways with universities.

Reply #599043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Biggest cost for players would be accommodation. Many would still be living with their parents. If a kid got picked by Sydney, could they justify the living expenses, given they can't spend the university allowance?

Better off training locally where possible, minimising expenses, and having an expectation of flexibility for studies.

Reply #599044 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The $20,000 would be for rent, food etc. and is easily enough, I live on less then that and I'm a full time student out of home...

Reply #599047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rent free at home?

Reply #599052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They wouldn't even push trades because you can't expect people on < $100k to just up and move at your whim. Can't see it happening for development players other than to appease fans needlessly.

Why would a club want to pay $90k for three development players when they could continue as now? These clubs are hardly financial. They're not charities.

Reply #599065 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

You don't live on 20k a year in Sydney. Nobody does.

Reply #599074 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If we can't pay our young players 30k a year, then we have major issues... That is literally peanuts...

Reply #599077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But they're not playing. They're training. The rostered players have a minimum salary.

And a good number of clubs are not profitable so peanuts can bring them down. They get help from volunteers. They use contra deals with media partners because they otherwise can't justify some costs. I know of one club which made a questionable decision because it saved them $20. Not $20,000. $20.

Reply #599087 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Well clearly there would be some kind of sponsorship deals through universities for that part of it. So much negativity hell and snakes...

Reply #599096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clubs would rather have university sponsorship (e.g., Cairns) as cash to fund general operations than pay training bait that will otherwise show up free or cheap anyway.

It's not negativity, it's reality.

Reply #599129 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think your enthusiasm Baller but I wonder if teams sponsors could utilize the development players more as brand advertisements throughout the community.

I can't see clubs paying for this as very few make money but if like the Wildcats do with every individual player being given a sponsor that's made mention of every time the come on/off the floor then that's something I'd like to see happen with the development kids... Slap a brand on their clothing or even a pin or something. I think the university idea is a good one too as I think Cairns and Perth have uni sponsorship and you'd imagine that if the Flames have it in Sydney then so could the Kings

Reply #599216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women's league manage to have development players, most of their main players are lucky to get 30k....development players are lucky to get a training uniform lol ......time these young men( more importantly their fathers who think they should be paid like pros) started to loose their egos if they want to play their chosen sport, you have choices you can go to college and not have a Uni fee( often don't get a degree that's much good back home either but you have a degree) they can live at home get a part time job and go to uni plus train 5 times a week like the women do ( not that hard these girls have been doing it like this girl years) some even run homes and families .......and can still manage to do it.

And don't go on about difference in standards of game, it all takes the exact amount of commitment and dedication.
Suck it up boys and do the hard work

Reply #599220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course now we have the situation where the bottom 5 players in any NBL team get paid $400K amongst them. Crap.

Reply #599234 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Welcome to the real world of professional sport, Baller #3

Source: work in professional sport.

Reply #599235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754