koberulz
Years ago

2016 Australian Basketball Challenge, Saturday

Cairns vs Adelaide - 11:00 EST/10:30 CST/9:00 WST

Illawarra vs Zhejiang - 13:30 EST/13:00 CST/11:30 WST

Melbourne vs Tianjin - 17:00 EST/16:30 CST/15:00 WST

Sydney vs Brisbane - 19:30 EST/19:00 CST/17:30 WST

Live stream via the NBL website. No on-demand availability.

Hopefully we get a couple of competitive games for a change.

Topic #39969 | Report this topic

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Apparently Torey Craig is in doubt for tonight. Anyone see anything?

Reply #599637 | Report this post

KBRulzRulz  
Years ago

I saw the moment that happened. Didn't realise the severity of it until he walked off.

In their backcourt there was a loose ball. Craig and Peitre went for it at the same time. They collided and Craige stumbled a bit but started dribbling. At the same time Peitre makes a weird pointing motion to the ref at Craig. Looks like nothing in it. I look away. Next minute Craig's on the ground.

Team staff come out and help him up and walk him back. He's for ice and a towel on his forehead and is struggling to walk.

Must be either a concussion or a shot to the eye socket I imagine. Stray accidental elbow must of just hit him right in the sweet spot.

Reply #599639 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Gee that doesn't sound great.
Good news for the Bullets is, that shouldn't be a long term injury.
Bad news news is I'm going tonight and was looking forward to see him play!

Thanks for the recap

Reply #599642 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sounds like a concussion to me

Reply #599643 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How good is the feed? I'd have to go to my folks' place to watch it (don't have internet at home). Is it worth it?

Reply #599644 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Can see Melbourne winning by 40 these Chinese teams are terrible

Reply #599645 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I watched a little of the Kings/Breakers game and although no buffering was very blurry if I made it full screen, couldn't see players numbers or even the scores properly but then I don't have a great connection.

Reply #599646 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Greybouy - I think Eggs saw your earlier post about his footwork. His court craft has been great so far today.

Reply #599647 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

At what point do we start getting worried about Ferguson? Another game with effectively no stats but missed shots and turnovers.

Reply #599648 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'd give him plenty of time Hendo8888, I think it'll take him a time to find his rhythm given his age and state of development.

(hopefully it doesn't take too long, can't afford passengers)

Reply #599649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingPodge, I was rushing to 'fess my surprise but I see you've outed me already!
Amazing or not, I agree: maybe Taipans could get a refund on cancelled tickets.

Reply #599650 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha or at least a departure deferment

Reply #599651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel fail to deliver again. Cairns a 24 - Adel4 run.

Reply #599653 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well... Creek's doing well at least.

Reply #599654 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"J. Randall" why do they have to keep getting names wrong

Reply #599655 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sobie and Hodgeson too

Reply #599656 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

What are the Sixers possibly thinking not playing their best basketball in the pre-season?!?!? For shame...

Reply #599658 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sometimes it feels like in the NBL the singlet designers lack an eye for aesthetics, the technology people live in a completely analogue world and those in charge of the putting in players names are dyslexic.

It's like a recording company having talent scouts who are tone deaf.

Reply #599659 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

scratch the*

Reply #599660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Adel or any other team not want to play their best basketball pre season.

Reply #599661 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cairns don't even have Jawai...

Reply #599662 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Anon, because titles aren't won in pre-season. Pre-season is about working structures, getting new guys into a system. The scoreboard is irrelevant.

Reply #599663 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"At what point do we start getting worried about Ferguson?"

I was concerned when news first broke we were going to sign a kid straight out of high school regardless of how hyped he was. Brandon Jennings was always going to be a lottery pick but he struggled badly his first pro season in Italy.

To Ferguson's credit at least he's not jacking up a million shots to prove he belongs and is trying to fit in but he looks way out of his league.

Reply #599664 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

That's why pre-season is from the Latin 'pre', meaning before. Teams try things, work guys into fitness, players work out systems and tenancies etc etc. You don't want to show all your goodies on the first date....

Reading to much into pre-season form is like getting a sexy spam email and thinking that 'Anna', from Latvia, really wants to move to Australia and make you her lover boy.

Reply #599665 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Pre-season is about as indicative as NBL teams let it be. NZ getting shellacked by the Kings doesn't mean much when Webster & Penney aren't playing, or if a team gives very even minutes just to get some time and have a look at some of the lesser players. I'd be expecting Randle to lift for the regular season.

On the other hand, there are still some basic indicators, and given the way the 36ers are playing - we probably aren't in for a great season. We need to be playing super athletically through the likes of Randle, Johnson, Drmic, Deng, Creek and absolutely reigning the threes. It feels like that would be too big of a leap from what we've seen so far even if it's just pre-season.

Reply #599666 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Raining?

Reply #599667 | Report this post

Je  
Years ago

If you read the scouting report on Ferguson his current play shouldn't come as a surprise. He's basically the archetypal 'work in progress with huge upside' player, rather than someone who can stroll out of high school and give you instant production at the pro level.

He's still a pretty raw offensive player beyond catch-and-shoot jumpers and he obviously needs to fill out his frame. So hopefully people aren't expecting him to bear too much of the offensive burden.

If he's able to get open looks from the perimeter and show off his athleticism in transition he'll be good value for the 36ers and their fans.

Reply #599668 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Buffering and blurred especially in full screen.

Reply #599669 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which is why I was shocked we signed the kid. His production was unlikely to match his salary (future 1st rd pick) and the real risk it could be a waste of an import spot.

0p 1a 2t 0-4 fg, 0-2 3pts today and in the other pre-season games I've seen he's produced a similar stat line.

He's somewhat understandably to scared to take it to the hole I've yet to ever see him do it and just settles for perimeter jump shots despite not being much of a shooter. He's an athletic get out in the open court type which makes it even more baffling.

Reply #599670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Mark Worthington?

Reply #599677 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sure it is preseason and wins don't matter but the form of Ferguson would be a concern

Reply #599682 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

These Chinese teams are wank!

Reply #599685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Weigh/Worthington/Trice/Jawai either for Cairns!

Reply #599686 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is J Bairstow Cameron's brother?

Reply #599687 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sydney need a 3rd import badly

Reply #599688 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I feel silly predicting a 40point win for Melbourne

Reply #599689 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I think J. Bairstow was guarding TOMMY GARLEEP

Reply #599693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may just be me but would the commentators please, please, please stop with adding YYYYYYY to everyones names.

Shauny Bruce, Tommy Jervis/Garlepp etc.

Really annoying.

Oh and not every single play needs to be yelled about as though it's the greatest layup or pass in the history of the game.

Reply #599694 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not sure why Boti Nagy calls the voiceovers by Matt McQuade and Liam Santamaria 'good'.

Matt McQuade laughs at the lamest shit, but is atleast tolerable in small doses. Liam Santamaria must have gone to the Lame Dad's School of Sayings with things like "Don't hurt them like that, Cammy Gliddon" and asking who 'gets the chocolates' in different situations.

If you stop trying to be cool, Liam, you will find that you would be closer to cool.

As for the 36ers, it's going to be a LONG season. We have no size inside, and no leadership in the guard spots.

Reply #599696 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Every single game the CBA teams have played has resulted in either a record score or a record margin, or both.

In fact, their game against Perth was the only one that didn't result in both, and I believe Perth only missed the record score by a point.

Not sure how this helps anything, to be perfectly honest.

Reply #599697 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I miss Anna from Latvia!

I think the Ferguson thing will be like all Joey led 36ers teams, pretty dreadful out the blocks but come the new year and they gel and look bloody impossible to stop. Ferguson like most players at ABC are still trying to understand their roles within the organisation and players missing isn't making it easy to work out how every team plays,

Is it just me or is Whittington or whatever his name is #2 from Sydney reminding anyone or Deandre Daniels, a 3/4 that doesn't truly fit either position but good enough player to get court time and will ultimately be blamed for failed season and results (I was a far bigger fan of Deandre than the general populace and blame Trev for moving. Redhage to small forward the season after their import played out of position).

I'm looking forward to Sunday's games

Reply #599699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is anna from latvia

Reply #599701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary has been simply annoying. Better to turn the volume down.

McQuade and Boti are always skinhead other's praises. They need to get a room.

Reply #599702 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754