koberulz
Years ago

SBS to Broadcast Sunday Games Live

NBL Partners With SBS For 2016/17 Season

Commencing during the first round of competition on Sunday 9 October 2016, when Melbourne United take on the Adelaide 36ers, the deal will see SBS broadcast one game each Sunday, live and free on SBS, SBS HD.

Topic #39985 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Good to see a game available on free-to-air again. Good on SBS!

A little surprised that neither 7, 10 nor 9 were keen for a free broadcast of a Sunday arvo NBL match. Obviously from a mainstream perspective, this probably isn't the greatest outcome considering most tune into SBS as a specialty broadcaster in much the same way as Foxtel. If you're flicking to SBS, you're doing it knowing your particular program is on.

SBS would be easier to deal with than the other FTA channels, particularly with the way they dedicate themselves to sports on their networks. I think NBL should take advantage and convince them to broadcast a pre-game show on SBS which shows highlights of matches from Thurs-Sat, top 10 plays etc, assuming it's produced by the NBL

Reply #599982 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Excellent news getting the NBL back onto FTA and on a channel not as driven by ratings like a commercial network.

Reply #599984 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Oh lawd the Facebook comments

Reply #599989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news, sbs will do professional job as they do with all there sports, there tour defrance coverage is superb. IMO I believe they will also promote the game, lot Asians watch sbs plus the European basketball countries.

Reply #599993 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

sbs will do professional job as they do with all there sports
In what sense? All the production will be handled by the NBL, so all there really is for SBS to do is clear a time slot.

Reply #599994 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I know very little about TV sports productions, but if it was as easy as just clearing space wouldn't they have grabbed the NBL a while ago?

Reply #599995 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL took over production from Fox Sports this past off-season.

Last season, Fox handled it. All GEM did for their Sunday game was re-broadcast the Fox game, with a studio bit to cover Fox's pre-game and half-time content.

Prior to that, Ten held all the rights.

Reply #600000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad still got a gig?

Reply #600022 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Are other games still on foxtel?

Reply #600024 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Every game is live on Fox Sport 3s and Fox Sports 3 HD

Every game is live on NBLTV through Computers/Laptops, Tablets, phones, Telstra TV and presumably AppleTV

One Sunday game each week is live on SBS and SBS HD

Reply #600025 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Will it have subtitles?

Reply #600026 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No, but there will be Cantonese, German and Greek news during the half time break in SBS' coverage, languages alternating each week.

Reply #600027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subtitles will be provided in every Aaron Fearne timeout.

Reply #600028 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's airing live, it can't have subtitles.

They'd be closed captions.

Reply #600030 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

...that's not what distinguishes subtitles and closed captions

Reply #600031 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hmm. Seems from further reading that they'd be subtitles, but they'd have to be delivered via the closed-captioning system.

Reply #600034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong again KB

Reply #600035 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Subtitles display only what is spoken by a character. Closed captions refers to subtitles for every sound (even falling objects and onomatopoeias), while subtitles refers to spoken words only.

Reply #600053 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well that ended the joke.

Reply #600055 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

hehe soz

Reply #600057 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

There will be subtitles for when Homicide Williams rambles about himself.

Reply #600058 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

ANT-MAN!

Hopefully we don't have to put up with him and his rubbish again this season.

Reply #600063 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think you will have to hear from him because he has a full season gig in Lebanon I think. But he was absolutely awful. Atrocious. Woeful.

I think Steve Carfino is back, though. But after a season of Homicide, I think we can all deal with the Carf.

Reply #600064 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I really hope we get to here more from Derek Rucker, he was amazing last season.

Reply #600065 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Do we get Heal or does his WNBL stuff prevent him from having the time? (does he still do WNBL stuff?)

Reply #600067 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

How about this for a retro line up:

Brisbane & Cairns - Terry Kennedy & Brian Kerle
Sydney & Wollongong - Bill Woods & Steve Carfino
Melbourne - Steve Quartermain & Dean Templeton
Perth - Tim Gossage & John Gardner
Adelaide - (I can't recall his name) & Darryl Pearce

Reply #600069 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

KET, the WNBL team that Heal coached folded at the end of last season so I assume he would be available.

Reply #600072 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ricky, the great John Gardiner passed away a couple of years ago, so that Perth lineup is just a little bit too retro.
Dennis Cometti is calling his last ever AFL game in a couple of days though.

Reply #600073 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

IIRC, Cometti was the #1 ticket holder for the Cats last season? Would be awesome to see him call some games in Perth.

Reply #600074 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Not sure if these forums can handle two Ricky's.. I might have to change mine.

#TheOriginalRickDawg

or

#WickyGwace

Reply #600075 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Can anyone remember the Adelaide commentator?

Maybe I should drop the space.... Rickydiculous

Reply #600076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going way back, it was Ian "Once around the gasometer" Day and later Andy Kay

Reply #600088 | Report this post

Carf the Barf ??

Reply #600092 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I was going to make a new topic but there's no content on there yet so...

http://nbl.tv/

Reply #600104 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Nothing loads when I access that site?

Reply #600105 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Saw content on there late last night, a mix of games from the last 3 decades and saw a doco in there too, looks to be a great catalog.

Reply #600106 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's odd...why take it away

Reply #600107 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, it was empty when I checked it last night and it's empty again now.

It will take your money, though. And then prevent you from logging in.

So far, significant downgrade on the old NBL TV.

Reply #600118 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Must have been about 10:30ish when I checked.. was definitely stuff under each heading, including Perth vs Tianjin, old Hunter Pirates games, old semi finals from early 2000's, Andrew Gaze Doco, random Wildcats game from 1990.

Must still be testing stuff out, really hoping to have it ready soon though, so much stuff goodies to go through.

Too early to give a thumbs down, they never officially said a launch date. Not sure where the other sites got the screenshots about the 27th, it may well have been up for a bit as a test only.

Reply #600125 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's taken my money and not provided a product. That's pretty clear thumbs-down territory.

If there's no product yet, don't take any money. Not difficult.

A step better would be not having a publicly-visible site at all, to be perfectly honest. And particularly now that it is visible, some transparency about the actual launch time (or worse, day) would be nice.

Reply #600127 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I suspect they didn't count on us NBL nerds to try the old nbl.tv url.

I'm not able to sign up or pay for anything on it, maybe they were testing the very moment you tried to pay...unfortunate timing for you if that's the case.

This isn't meant to be publicly known yet, definitely too early to give a thumbs down lol

Reply #600128 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why would anyone try to pay at this point? The product is not officially launched yet, right?

Reply #600129 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How far along the sign-in process can you get? It still seems fine to me.

I signed up on mobile, and I can log in there, but there's only a link to the app on the mobile site. Don't really want to waste another $5.40 to test signing up on the web and see if I can then log in there.

The NBL.TV website was, until yesterday, a form allowing sign-ups to a newsletter to be kept up to date on developments with NBL TV, so they're definitely aware people might try it.

They also keep advertising NBL TV, without any information about it, so someone going to the old website doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. And at present, it seems it would also take their money in return for literally nothing.

This is seriously poor form from the NBL at this point.

Reply #600130 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would anyone try to pay at this point? The product is not officially launched yet, right?
You're talking about a fanbase that reacted to the SBS announcement with "why aren't games on Fox Sports anymore?"

I've had to tell multiple people about the existence of NBL TV in the past couple of days, as has the official NBL account. The NBL account never bothers to inform anyone that it hasn't officially launched. It's hardly a stretch to say someone might go to the old NBL TV website and sign up.

I simply figured there was a chance the site might go live before an announcement - even if only by minutes - and the website was easier to check than scrolling through Twitter and Facebook. It was up but refusing sign-ins last night, so when it let me subscribe I figured it must all be working.

Reply #600132 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Videos are back up, still can't log in.

They don't have dates on them, though, which is going to make it difficult to sort through. I only have dates for the games I want to watch, not rounds.

At least one game isn't even that specific, and just lists the year.

Reply #600134 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By all means snoop around and see what's there, but if you find something in its incomplete form then "If there's no product yet, don't take any money. Not difficult." could easily be rebutted with "It's buyer beware if you go around the internet paying money to random unlinked web pages"

Reply #600135 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How can you tell it's in its incomplete form? It looks entirely complete.

Looking through the archives, it doesn't seem like there's much there. If the front page shows everything, it's only 88 games.

Looking on the bright side, the only Wildcats grand final games present are G2 1987, G3 1993 and G2 2003. We were promised all grand finals, so there must be more to the archive than what is showing at the moment.

Reply #600136 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yep, they said they will be adding more along as they go, it's a lot of tape to digitise. 300 hours+

I'm guessing the list we've seen won't be the full list on launch either as it might just be test entries as mentioned.

Reply #600138 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yep, they said they will be adding more along as they go, it's a lot of tape to digitise. 300 hours+
The way I read it, the 300+ hours is the launch number (the current 88 games reaches about half that, assuming two hours per game). There'd be way more footage than that in the archive total.

It would be really nice if we could get a straight answer from the league about what's going on.

Reply #600139 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yeah def expecting heaps more to come, hopefully in the thousands of hours, with full seasons even.

My imagination shows a low level grad sitting in a small office room somewhere doing it all lol

I also expect them to release slowly so as to get us coming back for more.

Would love to have it all ready in time for the weekend, but doesn't look like its gonna happen. Just better be ready before the 6th.

Reply #600140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I just want the Bearcats games from May of 1984 and the Bankstown-Forestville game from April 12, 1981. No idea if that footage even exists though.

The 1991 Illawarra-Melbourne game is there, which is good. That and the 1993 Melbourne-South East game are, I think, the only two from my lengthy want list that made it in.

The 2001 Kings-Crocs game was used to advertise NBL TV though, so presumably that will be added by launch, whenever launch is.

This is getting incredibly frustrating at this point. It was irritating when the 27th went past and nothing happened, but now that it's all there and you can see it and click on things...seriously, just give us a day and time.

Reply #600141 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Also worth noting that a few of the games from the early 80s are thirty-minute versions only.

Reply #600143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe hold ur horses more games are going up

Also u chose to sign up when u did

U could have waited for the complete product

The nbl never said it was ready either or officially launched it

Reply #600145 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My very first post about the lack of games acknowledged the likelihood of more games being added.

The NBL shouldn't have to announce anything. If the website exists and is taking money, it has an ethical and legal obligation to offer the product or service advertised.

Was there an outside chance of this happening? Sure. Was there a chance I signed up, got in, and found no videos? Sure. Does that make it acceptable on the NBL's part? No.

Reply #600146 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And indeed one classic game and a bunch of ABC games have just gone up. Still can't log in, though.

I don't really understand what else needs doing at this point. They can accept money and create accounts, and there's enough footage there to keep everyone busy while they add the rest.

Reply #600147 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

> How can you tell it's in its incomplete form? It looks entirely complete.

> it doesn't seem like there's much there.
> If the front page shows everything, it's only 88 games.

So ... you're saying it looks incomplete? :p

Reply #600148 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Seems as though theres a bit of backend stuff that still needs to be worked on, at least with Telstra sign up.

All the pages are being updated as we speak though with more content, etc.

I'm especially glad to see documentaries in there, little gems they are.

Reply #600150 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So ... you're saying it looks incomplete?
No, just disappointing.

Someone coming in with less knowledge and a shorter or nonexistent wishlist wouldn't even draw that conclusion.

Someone finding that site as a result of the NBL's explanation of its existence would sign up thinking it was finished. No question.

There's also no sign of the free access for season ticket holders. Another part of the reason I went through the process, I thought there might be a discount to apply later. Figured I could burn $5 on a one-month subscription if it meant getting in early. Turns out it's actually $5.40, because of fees they don't bother to mention.

And I still haven't heard back from the NBL after reporting the issue.

Reply #600152 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Be nice if we could at least see full descriptions of games.

"One of the classic encounters of all time from Boondall. This was only the 2nd time out of just three in NBL"

The second time that what? There's also one that cuts off at 'unbelievably, '.

Presumably when you load the game the full description will appear, but even with an account you still have to take that extra step. If I'm in the process of choosing a game to watch that's a time-waster.

Reply #600157 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jesus relax KR it will probably get launched early next week around Tuesday or something.

Reply #600158 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That late, you reckon?

Reply #600159 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Given that it hasn't launched yet, even if it's ready now it probably makes sense to wait until after the weekend to launch it, since the AFL & NRL will then be finished and everyone can swap over into full basketball mode.

Reply #600161 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Except for those who don't care about football and have their first and last free weekend of the year now that state leagues and the ABC are out of the way.

Either way it'd be nice to actually hear something concrete from the league, instead of 'it will launch soon'. Because to me, when you say 'soon' and the website is up and functioning, that means hours, maybe a day at most.

Reply #600164 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

haha might want to relax a bit there KR. Have a bit of faith.

I don't know exactly how kosher it is to repeat a post i've already made, I agree with your point KR in that...

It's annoyingly typical for the NBL to 1) provide little to no information; 2) the little information provided isn't followed through with - making it hard to take the NBL on its word; 3) everything is always provided last minute.

I think the NBL perhaps needs to do a better job of establishing achievable timelines including a plan of the dates for progressively releasing information - and they should be smart about the information released and how it is communicated.

They announced NBL TV then said 'launch date and other announcements soon' - then we hear nothing for weeks as the regular season gets very close. One assumes they'll probably turn on NBL TV and announce "it's up now!". Really, that's missing a few steps of marketing and informing fans.

NBL could have been more proactive in its approach and built excitement/media coverage around its product. Maybe establishing a technology product is too unreliable and volatile to establish concrete achievable timelines, in turn making it tough to inform the public.

Reply #600173 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Video games manage it months or years in advance, I'm not sure why NBL TV can't. Particularly at this late stage.

iOS app has reportedly been updated to support NBL TV. Why do basketball-related things always seem to work out for those with bad taste in phones?

Reply #600174 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Also worth pointing out that the NBL has pinned the announcement of NBL TV to their Facebook and Twitter pages, so it's plenty visible. Someone just commented on Facebook after trying to sign up and failing. Signups are also failing via the iOS app.

They need to say something, one way or the other, ASAP. Because this now looks functional to almost 50% of the smartphone market.

Reply #600176 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the website and app are still being developed and aren't necessarily meant to be used just yet, hence the reason there has been no official announcement of it opening.

Reply #600178 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Also, if the NBL is reading this:

1. "You can watch multiple NBL games each week live and on-demand." You need be consistent in what you're communicating and how you're communicating it. You're better off saying "Every game available each week live and on-demand".

2. Under "Programming" you forgot to add a full stop at the end of the paragraph, that's inconsistent with the "Watch NBL Games" and "Exclusive" blocks.

3. Under "Programming" you published "acces" instead of "access".

4. Under the Telstra Pass you published "If you are you'll receive an ALL access pass to everything for free!", it should be "If you are you’ll receive an ALL ACCESS PASS for free!"

5. Under the Schedule, January games are listed first then October.

6. The games displayed on the main page aren't round 1, they're in 4 months time.

7. Under the schedule the home/away side is completely inconsistent.
First, it's 36ers v Hawks for the Hawks' home game.
Then it's United v 36ers for 36ers' home game.
Then it's United v 36ers for United's home game.
And then it's Bullets v 36ers for Bullets' home game.

8. There's no information regarding what time the games are, or where they are being played.

Some of these might be technical things to be fixed still, but the first 4 points - while perhaps pedantic - make the thing look lacking in polish.

Reply #600179 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In which case there needs to be an announcement that it's not open. Because it looks to iOS users as though it is, as well as to anyone going to the website. An Android update can't be far away.

Reply #600180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Also looking at the thumbnails, some of the games are 16:9 footage squashed down to 4:3.

Reply #600202 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0CXapSoXfc

Not bad, but the video quality needs to be HD.

Given they've advertised publicly NBL.TV.......

Reply #600206 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But they haven't linked to that YouTube video from anywhere else, so it can't count any more than the existence of the NBL TV site does.

No more token errors, it's just an endless sign-in loop now.

I've gone through the iOS app a little...I like the filtering better than the web version but there are no descriptions visible at all until you click on a video.

Neither has any ability to use the date the game occurred to search, sort, or filter, though.

Reply #600207 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Android app just updated, and I'm able to log in and watch the classic games.

Still no ability to log in on the website though.

Reply #600224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old ess-ahh-bee-essa finally coming into the fold after decades of whinging about the world game being neglected in this country yet at the same time ignoring basketball. :)

NBL the only league to air on all five free to air channels I believe. That must be a record.

NBL - still doin' it after all these years.

Reply #600624 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

SBS looks set to broadcast every single NBL game.

The NBL.com.au schedule has a SBS logo against every single game.

Does that mean those will be live on just on delay?

Reply #645900 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds pretty good..
But I think it might be two games a week...

Reply #645918 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

You are right Camel 31. Looks like they've changed it to 2 games a week (at least that's what it is for Round 1). Was all games live on SBS.

Hopefully they will eventually have all games on SBS because the masses has SBS and alot of people don't subscribe to foxtel.

Reply #646056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? You get NBL TV for free via Telstra nowadays so all the anti-Foxtel people get away without paying anyway. Yet still Foxtel whinges persist.

Reply #646082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754