Advertising spot currently available.
Minimum three month period (1.5+ million page views, 92% Australian).
Email [email protected] for rates and options.

Dunk Basketball Uniforms

AD: Office space available in Adelaide CBD @ 313 Halifax St;
Suit creatives; freelance desks or space for 2-4 person business. More info

Anon
Last year

Brisbane Spartans out of SEABL for 2017 Season

Announced via SEABL website, Brisbane Spartans Men & Women to sit out the 2017 SEABL season due to financial reasons and to give themselves time to build a long term future for the club.

What impact will this have on the league?

Report this topic

spot up
Last year
13:20 29 Sep 16

Reply #600068

re: Brisbane Spartans out of SEABL for 2017 Season

It'll reduce travel costs overall, so that's not a bad thing.

Out of interest - were the Spartans considered to be of a higher standard that the teams playing in the QBL? (Genuine question, I have no idea..)

Report this post

Anon
Last year
13:41 29 Sep 16

Reply #600070

NO, Many QBL teams, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane Capitals, Mackay would match Spartans.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
13:58 29 Sep 16

Reply #600071

So much for the new Bullets team being a partner with the Spartans.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
16:51 29 Sep 16

Reply #600079

Fwiw I think the Spatans men this season were much stronger compared to recent history.

Report this post

Young Gun
Last year
20:08 2 Oct 16

Reply #600331

fwiw...I think that at one point they were a step above the QBL.. maybe not above some of the clubs mentioned above... but being in Brisbane, were a little more accessible to Victoria. I would have thought Rockhampton could've been included as a Premier QBL side.

There's some shaky stuff happening with what I would've once considered solid clubs in the SEABL & QBL... Spartans, Knox, Kilsyth, Chargers, Frankston & Bundaberg to name a few.

Report this post

Bear
Last year
11:48 3 Oct 16

Reply #600350

@Young Gun, those 'shaky clubs' are highly likely to have one thing in common which has caused their issues, that would be financial instability, I would suggest.

That's the SEABL's greatest weakness and one of Australian sports' biggest hurdles for impeding growth, isn't it?

Report this post

KET
Last year
11:49 3 Oct 16

Reply #600351

Weren't the Spartans considering an NBL application at one point? lol

Report this post

spot up
Last year
12:47 3 Oct 16

Reply #600358

Any more info on what's going on at Kilsyth? Knox seem to have come out the other side of their shocking situation from a year or two ago..

Report this post

Young Gun
Last year
09:18 4 Oct 16

Reply #600421

@bear.... you're right about financial instability... but I'd argue that financial instability is largely a symptom of governance & leadership issues.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
09:50 4 Oct 16

Reply #600423

@Young Gun, that also would be highly likely true in many cases, not just in these circumstances but for a significant number of sporting organisations that fail to get their finances right during any particular season.

Leadership and governance comes first, I agree, you have to get these things right and the best people to be involved need to be sought!

Sometimes expectations are not within the capacity of a club and if people making the big decisions don't do their due diligence the whole club can suffer for years before they get back on track.

Report this post

Bear
Last year
09:51 4 Oct 16

Reply #600424

Sorry, that^ was me...

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Ceres 22

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Liam Flynn - basketball coaching and consulting

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 pm, Sun 28 May 2017 | Posts: 655,271 | Last 7 days: 693