Dazz
Years ago

Wildcats break yet another record

Fresh from extending their records for finals appearances and championships, the Wildcats have broken their own record for pre-season membership!!!

Now that I've got all the haters reading, I'm seriously wondering how their other teams are doing?

After disappointing numbers (for them) in the past two seasons, the Cats were very aggressive in encouraging memberships this time round. Costs have been contained, and an extended payment plan offered.

Perhaps as a result, they have exceeded their previous best in terms of membership numbers pre-season.

BUT, there is also the rather obvious point that we're coming off a championship win, and people LOVE a good bandwagon. Plus The Dockers sucked balls this season, and the Eagles dropped a notch or two. This time last year, most WA sports fans were still in AFL mode.

So seriously, how is the rest of the league doing?
We all know that we're spending more on players this time round, and it FEELS like there is more hype around the NBL. But is there any sign yet that we're going to get more bums on seats around the country?

Anyone know how many members Brissy have signed up?

Topic #39989 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

The extended payment plan is pretty awesome. It would of been a big factor in the Cats membership figures.

Reply #600091 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

So what is the Wildcats membership number?

I think Melbourne have around 2,500.

Brisbane just over 1,000

Reply #600108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has just under 10,000.

Reply #600111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am i right in assuming that you can be a member and not attend any games?

Reply #600142 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well, nobody's going to go to your house and force you to attend, no.

But yes there are membership categories that don't necessarily include tickets:

Supporter
Either non-ticketed or including two tickets to any home or away game (one ticket to two games, or two tickets to one game).

Tertiary Supporter
Give the Wildcats $70 now, and they'll offer you half-price tickets to any game, as long as you buy them less than five minutes before tipoff.

Wildcubs
Children under the age of four enter Perth Arena free if they're not occupying a seat, but that doesn't mean you can't buy them a membership pack!

Pet Sup-paw-ter
We like puns. And money.

Reply #600144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do those count as members though? I know that in the AFL, only certain levels of memberships count towards the totals, and those supporters packs did not count.

Reply #600151 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't see why they wouldn't. Apparently most of Melbourne United's members are/were basketball clubs, not even individual people/animals.

Reply #600153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but Melbourne also had more members than they had seats in their arena so I don't know that they are the benchmark for best practice.

Reply #600154 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No reason to believe any other club counts differently.

Reply #600155 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure it really matters. I seriously doubt the uptick has been caused by a surge in Pet Memberships.

Reply #600162 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You pay $70 for a 5 min window each week to buy your half price tickets?

Reply #600166 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not sure how late into the game you can get them, so it's probably more than a five minute window if you don't mind missing the start (but then, it's less than five if you do because you still have to queue up and get in), but pretty much, yeah.

Reply #600168 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And you have to have a current tertiary student card as well, thus the name.

Reply #600169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the season launch this morning the Wildcats said they had 9400 members

Reply #600170 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United hasn't offered 7 game memberships this year.

I called the club last week and was told they might offer 5 game memberships at the start of the season.

Reply #600183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone attend the Perth Wildcats and Perth Lynx season launch today? Any interesting tidbits? I heard that one of the Directors said that Perth would achieve 10,000 members? #project10k

Reply #600198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz knows it all. The new Mattic or Cuzzy of Hoops. Equally hated as Dazz.

Reply #600199 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think you're being a bit harsh on Dazz there.

Reply #600208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, Bruce is back.

Reply #600218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The matts. Destroying one basketball forum afteranother

Reply #600242 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

10k has been the aim for a few years now, although they stopped pushing it last year when numbers fell.

When I got my email (a week or so ago) they were at 9,300, which is a record for pre-season.
Considering they keep selling memberships literally up until the last game, 10k shouldn't be too much of a reach.

Anyone know how MU are doing? IIRC they got some pretty decent crowds last year?

Reply #600329 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perhaps the lack of 7 game memberships indicates high sales of full season memberships and they're expecting a lot of sell outs.

Bit odd that it's a week from home Game 1 and only full season memberships available.

I can't commit to a full season. Even getting to 7 would be tough

Reply #600335 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754