Anonymous
Years ago

ABL summer league

Anybody know when the ABL summer league begins? Will it be played on tuesdays again this year?

Topic #3999 | Report this topic

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Might be wrong but I think it normally starts first week of November. Does anybody know if the ABL season proper is starting later next year because of the Commonwealth Games?

Reply #46535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First is Tuesday september 6th

Reply #46548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First game of summer season is September 6th ??????

Reply #46552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Division 1 will commence on Tuesday 6th September with the Grand Final on 20th December.

Divisions 2 and 4 will commence on Wednesday 7th September with the Grand Final on 21st December.

Division 3 will commence on Monday 29th August with the Grand Final on 19th December.

Division 5 will commence on Tuesday 6th September with the Grand Final on 20th December.

Reply #46558 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I know this may be a stupid question...are there any schedules yet...

Reply #46569 | Report this post

something fishy?  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is 16 weeks. Div 1 only has 10 teams so unless there are 7 weeks of finals some teams will play each other twice. How do they determine who plays who twice - ABA results?

More to the point why is the season starting so much earlier as opposed to last year. The current reserves season hasn't even finished yet! Juniour finals are still to be played - many of them are involved in the Div 1 and 2 summer season. Why don't they just start it in the first week of October like they did last year - they can still finish by Christmas. Oh wait a minute - that would be too practical. Me thinks BASA just wants four extra weekes of revenue.

Reply #46574 | Report this post

something fishy?  
Years ago

Also,
Wy does the season need to finish before Christmas - why not take those extra four or five weeks and play them in Jan/Feb so teams can use them as serious ABA preseason matches

Reply #46575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it is a 14 week season plus two weeks of finals.

Reply #46638 | Report this post

Tired Dude  
Years ago

Yeah i agree fishy... i need a rest....

Reply #46652 | Report this post

pureballer  
Years ago

hate to allow any injury time...
what about teams that are of to national finals....

Reply #46665 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

I think its to do with the earlier mention of moving the basketball calender, hence why the season is different.

Reply #46669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you will all find that not too many ABL programmes care too much about the summer league and that most senior players won't play until mid- late november. What it does do is let teams blood some younger players at a higher level in order to find out who out of there junior players could be able to make an impact at senior level.

Also because of the Commonwealth games I believe that the ABL season is starting even earlier next year which is why the summer season needs to be brought forward too. and yes, some teams will play each other twice and some once, yes it will be a little uneven but who cares, it's only summer season! Think you will find that some of the lower teams do better than the good teams is summer anyway cos they play more senior players , especially those with a new coach(Norwood last year), so who knows which would be the best teams to play twice?

Reply #46670 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

isaac, do you have the proplosed dates for winter season 06....abl?

Reply #46680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, sorry.

Reply #46682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know whensummer season starts for all senior grades and who plays who?

Reply #48821 | Report this post

bloodynora  
Years ago

div 3 started 29/08/05. Div 2 and 4 start wed 07/09/05 and div 5 tues 06/06/05. Div 1 starts first week October. Contact your club secretary as they received game times for coming week

Reply #48853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754