Anonymous
Years ago

Why doesn't the NBL use YouTube?

The biggest video sharing platform in the world. It would be a great vehicle to show for example the dunk contest highlights (or any other quality highlights, for that matter). It's of utmost importance for a league to have a strong social media presence. I keep hearing Larry Kestelman says he wants to build a world-class entertainment product, yet we can't even get on YouTube? Unacceptable.

Topic #39995 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

They do..

https://www.youtube.com/user/nbl

Reply #600184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting, they have posted some stuff yesterday (only commercials from the looks of things) but prior to that it looks like the only stuff is from the 2014/15 season (i.e. it was absent last year).

Reply #600185 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Yes because this season hasnt started yet, so when it does they will post more videos?

Reply #600186 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, you're saying that last season didn't happen?

Reply #600187 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They didn't use/upload videos to youtube last season Benno, there's a good question as to why they've neglected such a good public resource

Reply #600188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno I mean there's nothing there relating to 2015-16. This coming season will be 2016-17. Just saw the clip there from the 2014 dunk contest. Gives such a poor impression of the league, being in a tin shed with a big fan and then also the judges writing out their scores on A4 pieces of paper that you take notes with at work/school.

This year's video was so much better, yet it isn't available on YouTube.

Reply #600189 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I too thought it very strange they didn't put a highlights video of the dunk comp on youtube. It's perfect for generating interest in the new season not only is youtube the biggest most popular site for videos nearly every forum allows youtube videos to be embedded as opposed to other mobs.

Someone (a fan I think) uploaded a video of the final of the 3pt comp to youtube but the dunk comp hasn't been uploaded by anyone including the NBL.

Last thing you want is the world seeing Terrance Ferguson doing a windmill from near the FT line in a 36ers uniform and other NBL players throwing down NBA dunk comp comparable dunks.

Reply #600190 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth utilise youtube quite well with WildcatsTV. Great way to advertise your product to a massive audience. Hopefully NBL has got onto it this season and upload a lot more videos.

Reply #600192 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I got the vibe from the NBL that in their eyes, using YouTube would have detracted from people's reliance on the NBL app, which they were pushing hard.
Personally I think that's a flawed plan. Along the same theme as Boti's blog today, it's another example of the league preaching to the converted, which meant missing an opportunity to reach out to other fans using the free and far-reaching resource that is YouTube.
All those little game highlight videos they did should also have gone up on YouTube, and in the caption of every one of them they could have pointed people to the app.

Reply #600193 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Might have been a digital rights issue previously as well.

Reply #600194 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

While we're whinging about the NBL's online issues, is there any reason why Jerome Randle doesn't have a player profile on our team page? Every other player does (including Doyle), but he's not on there.

Reply #600195 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

You think that's bad, Hendo8888. United haven't done shit with their player profiles. Only their returning players have profiles http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/player_profile/

Reply #600204 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The thing about the whinging though is that most of it is very legitimate.

Not using Youtube is a seriously bizarre decision really.

Reply #600205 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Answer: Control.

Reply #600209 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

NBA doesn't either

Reply #600212 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

What are you talking about Jay? The NBA do a great job on YouTube.

Reply #600220 | Report this post

Slobodon  
Years ago

Please explain, LC?

Reply #600241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Control was my guess too. They want to monetise and customise on their terms.

Yet YouTube has the best tech/buffering. So many others are miserable. Not sure it's worth the sacrifices to use a less mature platform.

Reply #600298 | Report this post

Everything seems very rushed to start this season so it's unsurprising that things are missed or under-utlised. I wish they use Youtube more as it's far more easily shareable and often a more stable platform for video.

NBL.TV has been rushed out, not yet really ready.

Even the live stats from last night's game feature outdated player images (wearing previous years club colours etc)

Club websites don't seem to have the new media day photos and stuff either.

NBL and club websites still have last years stats and ladder. I know we're one game in and there's not much data to populate but at least wipe the slate clean and get it rolling for the season THAT HAS STARTED.

I reckon the NBL was actually better prepared at the start of last season. This year it seems like everyone has been sitting back watching the footy and then holy shit, we've got an NBL season to get rolling!

Reply #600787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754