what the
Years ago

How is Illman's footy going?

Matt Illman quit baskets for footy - along with the big young lad from Woodville - has anyone heard how it went for them?

Hopefully they will be fronting for Summer seasons !

Topic #400 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

Nathan Baggot was the Woodville guy- i think he went to Eagles and Matt Illman to Westies - it would be good for any clubs to pick them up for Summer.

Reply #2953 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All I've heard recently is that he was spotted in news footage the other night. One time getting pushed out of the picture (at training, I presume) and the other time having someone either go up his back or fall on top of him.

Come back to basketball I say.

From the West site (www.westies.com.au), he was in the ruck for the last game. Kicked a goal, but didn't make the best list.

"Matthew Illman continues to improve each week and will be a dangerous player next season with the experience he has gathered since his debut at Elizabeth."

Funny quote from that site:

Best list
Goals list

then:

"Injuries: -None AT LAST"

Haha.

Reply #2954 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

watching Brogan it is obvious the more cohesive eye - ball - hand cognition gained from basketball is an asset - many rucks that purely "go the muscle" often get hand to the ball but poor delivery to the runner - brogan - once he beefed up clearly was the best in AFL for a good tap to a moving player. There is no doubt the speed and agility of serious basketball did this.

Reply #2955 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Illman is a fringe league player at Westies at the moment but given time will be quite handy. The high injury rate is the reason he is getting a regular game.

Nathan Baggot went to the Eagles but was only getting a run in the reserves. He did not last long though and then went and played for Seaton Ramblers in the Ameatur League but quit half way through the season.

Reply #2961 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Danyle Pearce (Ex South & Tigers player) is playing SANFL for Sturt. He has been in their best a few times and would have played more than a handful of games. He was a State basketball representative in U16s.

Clint Dubinecki is playing reserves for Glenelg, I believe? He was a 3 time State bball rep as well, including Captain of the U18 side who got bronze in 2002.

Reply #2963 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Hoop Addict is on the ball - there was a big feature on the young guns at Sturt in the 'Tiser about 3 weeks ago and a massive photo of Pearce in action was in it...how old is he, 17-18? AFL list anyone?

Reply #2976 | Report this post

Solid gold  
Years ago

Ex Forestville/SA Country player Scott McMahon was a standout at the recent Under 18 Football Nationals. He seems a strong chance to be drafted this year.

Reply #2987 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Libertine - Pearce is 18. He's an '86. Backup to Pini at U16 Nats. Very skilled bballer, mighty quick.

Looks likely to be picked up in the AFL at some stage, I've heard he's already been in talks with some clubs.

I believe James McEntee (Ex- Tigers) is playing for North Adelaide? Reserves I think, possibly a couple of SANFL games.

Reply #2988 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Hoop - cool, NCT/South loss is AFL's gain, I guess.

Reply #2989 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

From earlier, Solid gold.......
"Ex Forestville/SA Country player Scott McMahon was a standout at the recent Under 18 Football Nationals. He seems a strong chance to be drafted this year."

In fact, I believe he made the ALL Australian U18 Team, is attending the Preseason, Predraft Australian/AFL camp as well. Word has it that FOUR interstate AFL clubs have already talked to him, so I reckon look for some moves by this young dynamo in the very near future!!! I wonder if Scott will become ANOTHER home grown talent that the LOCAL (this case AFL) side(s) cannot see their way to entice him to stay and play here.......

.........mmmmm a certain Brad comes to mind doesn't it!!!???

Reply #3016 | Report this post

Solid gold  
Years ago

Fairviewer the difference is of course McMahon will be drafted - he will play where he is picked. No enticing is required. Newley was open slather under the current system, he could have played anywhere.

Reply #3112 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Also, just out of interest, is the Shane Crothers I have heard mentioned on the forum the same who played for the Port Adelaide Magpies few years back?

Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about local ball, but am learning quickly here!!

Reply #3335 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Avanti : Yep, that's him. He's plying his trade for West Adelaide in ABL & as player/coach in reserves.

Reply #3371 | Report this post

kdfha  
Years ago

I have made the transition from footy to basketball, at junior level. I was wondering of everyones thoughts on whether its harder to go from footy to basketball or basketball to footy. I found the transition easy and picked up the game fairly quickly...but still the physicalness comes out in my play on occasion.

Reply #4040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

danyle pearce is playing for the power

Reply #28720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wasnt a back up point guard for 16s, he dint start for three games then started for the rest of the tourny

Reply #44049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754