Bobby
Years ago

NBL to broadcast every game live into China

Brilliant move by the NBL, especially to get Mandarin commentary. No other Australian league has even managed to do this. NBL is the best league in Australia. Hopefully it'll pick up really well, and the NBL can open up to a new massive market.

The Chinese love basketball as much as Australians. Very similar type of people with the same dreams.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/33076/

Topic #40010 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hahaha well played.

Reply #600468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahaha

Reply #600471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that is why the rest of the world thinks Australians are a bunch of racist scumbags...

Reply #600475 | Report this post

koberurz  
Years ago

Seriousry?

Reply #600477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm asian and found this hilarious.

Reply #600482 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The number of people on Facebook asking why there are no FTA games in Australia, and why we can't get all games broadcast here, doesn't say much for the NBL's marketing.

Or perhaps it doesn't say much for those people.

Reply #600483 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

koberulz complaining i dont believe it!!!

Reply #600488 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes there are many confused idiots on the NBL Facebook, but those people would be idiots no matter how well you try to inform them.

Reply #600490 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perhaps, but it wouldn't hurt to keep mentioning SBS, NBL TV, and Fox Sports in all their broadcast-related articles.

And are they doing any marketing at all outside of people who are currently interested? Boti Nagy had an article on that subject a week or two ago. SBS and NBL TV in particular aren't really going to attract viewers who don't already know about the league.

Games are on 503 from the get-go this year, so you'll pick up some who just browse the sports channels.

Reply #600495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The get-go, said no one ever

Reply #600496 | Report this post

Why would Chinese people want to watch our league though? The only way to get real interest is to have NBL clubs competing against Chinese clubs in a Champions League style setting.

This will be about as successful as the Singapore Slingers were - the people of Singapore said why do we want to watch a bunch of Australian basketballers for?

Reply #600503 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Because its heaps better than the CBA

Reply #600504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesnt clash with CBA either,

It will essentially be a double header, NBL on like 5:30 then CBA on after that i beleive, works well with our time differences

So fans could watrch both, or even the end of the NBL then the CBA

Reply #600505 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like the ambition and idea although it is a valid question to raise... why would the Chinese watch it?

How many Australians watch Euroleague (a stronger league than NBL)?

If it wasn't on Foxtel, how many Aussies would still watch Euroleague by actively finding streaming?

I think Chinese would watch CBA because of the local aspect and NBA (like us Aussies) because it's the big show. Given that, i'd be interested as to how many tune in for the NBL - and if it's not on TV, how many would go to the effort to find streams.

With that said, there's plenty of Chinese in Australia who like basketball and they would be a nice market in itself. Hopefully the cost of Chinese commentary and graphics pays for itself - and it might, I mean we've seen CPA come on board for the NBL stars China tour and the ABC involving two Chinese sides.

Reply #600507 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the carrier's involved market it well, especially through the use of highlights, then it could get interest from basketball lovers in China, of which there are plenty.

We will see. The fact the CBA teams here for the ABC got thumped helps, sending a message that this is a very good comp. I think it's a promising move, but the proof will be in the numbers.

Re Euroleague, the NBL is generally more entertaining basketball for casuals as it is more offensive minded and free-flowing.

Reply #600508 | Report this post

Slobodon  
Years ago

Hey Benno I hear the Spanish league is much better than the NBL but I have no interest in watching it. Nba is what I watch as the best in the league in the world and NBL is the other because of the local attachment. I reckon most fans are in the same boat

Reply #600510 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think Euroleague being boring is what stops Australians en masse watching it though (...I mean soccer can be pretty boring and look how many love it! ;) )

CBA and NBA would take a massive chunk of the market and consumption, even with such a big population and bball fanaticism. Being a 'good product' in itself probably doesn't cut it - I mean there's also Euroleague and NCAA with NBA prospects and an epic tournament which are competing quality products.

The big benefit the NBL has is our proximity and ability to exert influence as a nation generally. Chinese may well be fairly knowledgeable and connected to Australian culture - that helps when pushing any product, including the NBL.

Reply #600511 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Slobodon is making my point, and I'd imagine the vast vast vast majority of even serious bball fanatics are in the same boat.

Reply #600512 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

There's a huge population of Chinese nationals who have lived here to study, and subsequently been exposed to the NBL. So there will be some kind of marketable interest there. Regardless, it's going there and it's got a chance to succeed. If they can get interested in AFL, Rugby and V8 super cars then I'd say it's a good chance the NBL will be of interest too

Reply #600517 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Chinese love to gamble big time. So that'll help too

Reply #600518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The comparison to Euroleague in Australia is a poor one because Euroleague is in a bad timeslot, you have to pay to watch it and there isn't a big base of basketball supporters in Australia as there is in China.

If these Chinese broadcasters put some effort into exposing the NBL to basketball fans, it is a free product in a pretty good timeslot and only needs to get a fraction of Chinese hoops fans watching to have a benefit to the NBL.

Perhaps the biggest benefit could just be Chinese fans watching highlights on their version of youtube, which is one of the broadcasters.

If those numbers are OK it could open up some sponsorship opportunities and help the NBL's push to have a team in China.

Reply #600519 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

As Paul is saying, watching highlights is realistic at least.

Like many others here I don't watch many full Euroleague games but I do find myself checking out basketball of our nearest neighbours. I keep track of the ASEAN league that Slingers are now in, the NZNBL and even much smaller leagues like the Vietnamese league (which do some quick good highlight packages on a small budget).

Maybe I am a freak though.

Reply #600521 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you are!

But given population size, if the same proportion of Chinese basketball fans pay attention to the NBL as Australian hoop fans who pay attention to the Euroleague, then the NBL's fan base will multiply many times!

Reply #600522 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754