LV
Years ago

United @ NZ, Friday 7/10

Thoughts on this one?

NZ has been struck majorly with injuries, with Ili out for at least half the season and Penney (Calf), Webster (back, hip) and Woodside all getting hurt too. The Breakers haven't won a pre season game. One article I spotted suggests Webster is playing, but no official confirmations on him, Penney or Woodside as far as I can tell. The mail from a fortnight ago was that they were on track to suit up a full line up on opening night. But they can’t have gotten much full scale scrimmages or intense training sessions in lately, if these guys are all rehabbing.

United cruised through the pre season, winning most of their games, with Goulding and Andersen barely suiting up.

Given NZ’s lack of preparation, United should win comfortably. "Should" doesn’t mean “will” though, as the AFL finals series just provided us yet another reminder of.

Topic #40012 | Report this topic

PeroV  
Years ago

Much of the Breakers' chances will hinge on the health of Webster and Penney (obviously). Throughout the course of the season, I think I will be more than comfortable backing the Breakers at home because their starting 5 when healthy can probably still compete with anyone on their day.

That being said, Melbourne are rocking up fielding a team that features 2 of the Breakers' core players from last season, plus more depth at pretty much every position. My initial lean is that Melbourne will have too much firepower for the Breakers at this stage and will get it done fairly comfortably tomorrow.

Reply #600536 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yep- Woodside, Webster, Penney and Abercrombie is an elite group in the PG and wing positions.

My queries with this team are health, and how good is Rob Loe?

If those 4 main guys in the 1-3 spots stay healthy and if Loe is decent enough, they're a chance for the championship.

Reply #600540 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Many around the league never thought Melbourne was a title chance last season because they didn't have the possession game to win in the playoffs.

They certainly seem to have fixed that this season with Jackson and Williams, while the subtraction of the two Jacksons from NZ seems to weaken them in that area.

As for this game, no idea, both have key pieces coming back in off injury. Hope it's a good one, two quality line-ups.

Reply #600546 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Seems like a lot of people here have raps on Woodside, but why? I got a good look at him at the ABC and he's not a high-level defender, goes missing in the offence and has no discernible offensive skills. He does look like a good shooter but I really think he's a level below the other important PGS in the league. And he seemed to be mentally checked out a lot during thr tournament. Clearly NZ didn't have two of the centrepieces then but I don't think he will be very good. Isaih Tueta looked better imo.

Reply #600559 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Most of the bookies have NZ coming 2nd to bottom this season and although they should finish higher than that United should thump them in this one.

This is just the warm up game for the main attraction afterwards hawks vs 36ers!

Reply #600561 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Woodside has a solid resume behind him. He's been playing big minutes in quality European leagues. He's a pass first point guard. If he can play 30 minutes a night, set up their offense and get good looks for Webster, Penney and Abercrombie then he'll be doing his job.

Reply #600565 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Yeah I reckon teams will quickly see he's a weak link defensively.

Hopefully his ability to drive an offence gets infinitely better with better wings around him because the whole team looked lost. A distinct lack of ball movement and when it was moving, it was clunky generally speaking. Saying that, he did only play one game from memory.

Reply #600569 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

And I expect Ced will give it to him tomorrow, considering Woodside is his replacement.

Reply #600570 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Woodside has had a heel injury so I wouldn't put much stock into one performance in a meaningless preseason game.
Webster is still injured but will play and Penney is fine.

Reply #600740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am little bit concerned about Woodside too. However, for what it's worth, Mark Dickel recently stated that Woodside would surprise many and was an upgrade on Jackson. It will be interesting to see how Woodside fares over the course of the season.

Reply #600743 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Todays paper says Andersen's had abdominal and back complaints and is no certainty to suit up.

Would mean big responsibility lies on the shoulders of Tai Wesley, and we'd get a better look at Devin Williams.

Reply #600784 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

what was the twitter account they were just recommending in the commentary?

Reply #600835 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

NBLFacts

Reply #600837 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Is this the same Majok is last year? His face seems different

Reply #600838 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

thanks luuuc

Reply #600839 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Fixed the scoreboard graphics a bit I see.. clock is better.

Reply #600840 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

It's good to see we already have our first live stats freeze, just two games in.

Reply #600841 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I cringed so hard at those chemists warehouse ads that my dick ALMOST FELL OFF

Reply #600842 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Its the sh!t ones you remember the most.. looks like a success on their part.

"..It's G-O-G-G-O"

Reply #600843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Barlow or odgie, any reason why?.

Reply #600845 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Maybe true Ricky.

Melbourne looking flat when Devin is not on the court.

Reply #600846 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I think Odigie has an ankle injury from the ABC.

Reply #600847 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

lol thought he had an easy layup.. then raises arms when it was a clear block

dont be bringin that weak stuff next time..

Reply #600848 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Akil Mitchell bringing some hustle. Breakers with a ton of outside threats all lined up around the arc

Reply #600850 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Anderson having a dud game.

Melbourne SHOULD have thrown adnam out there, see if he can spark some offence.

Reply #600851 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

"No Barlow or odgie, any reason why?" - Barlow is injured again, he was replaced by Bennie Lewis https://twitter.com/MelbUnitedHQ/status/784277664097972224

Reply #600854 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Wesley is $$$$$$

NZ will hang on here. This team has a bit of toughness, bit of HUSTLE. They will go alright this year

Reply #600855 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I thought cameras were NOT allowed in the huddle in the last 2 mins??

Reply #600856 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is this Sky Sports producer on crack? Dude needs to follow the game when it's live play at all times.

Sticking to the theme of capitalising words for emphasis... Dude NEEDS to follow the GAME when it's live play at ALL times.

Reply #600857 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, they missed the opening tip for a Paul Henare interview.

Reply #600859 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Rob Loe with some solid D and made some shots.
Mitchell will only improve as the season wears on.
Pledger with some nice touches on the pick and pop.
Vukona played like Vukona and made his free throws.
Woodside with a decent game against Jackson, picked his moments offensively and ran the team well.
Abercrombie and Penney played as advertised while Webster was a little careless with the ball but came alive when it mattered.

Blanchfield was a no show and Jackson was pretty quiet. Goulding and Anderson hit a few open ones but Wesley was the guy who stood out for United

Reply #600863 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

All the hype, reminds me of last season. To much talent to go around. Need role player's.

Reply #600871 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Watch out Vukona

You have a challenger for hustle King of the Breakers

Likewise Damo for the league

Reply #600903 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Scouring the box score and it confirms my thoughts from watching the game.

Second chance points- 15-7. That's the game.

Andersen and Wesley did some nice things, but combined for 5 rebounds, while Akil Mitchell ran riot.

This is a reoccurring nightmare for United followers. Will the ghosts of the past return?

DD needs to have Majok or Devin on court at (almost) all times for their physicality, and presence on the boards. If we're going to go small, we need to pick the moment carefully.

Reply #600997 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Did anyone notice close to the end when the game was still n the line UTD's coach sketched a play in the huddle, from memory Goulding was to take the shot if open but kick it on to I think Anderson if he is not.

Anyway, Goulding got the pill and threw up a horrible shot under pressure and I am pretty sure didn't look up to see what his team mates thought of it; his attitude in this game and his body language, on the whole, sends me worrying signs.

UTD's coach loves him, but I think for Melbourne to win they need to get their mojo in order, too many egos and not enough leadership for me to like what they are doing, yet!

Reply #601053 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ played Abercrombie on Goulding a lot and his athleticism and length kept him pretty quiet all night apart from a couple of wide open looks.

Reply #601054 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have always rated Abecrombie, very solid NBL player!

Reply #601058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Championship teams are built, not bought. case closed

Reply #601096 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Can't buy chemistry unless we're talking drugs

Reply #601207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754