Anonymous
Years ago

NBL TV Production

Some thoughts on the NBL producing their own broadcasts...

- The NBL obviously have a vested interest in NBL.TV succeeding, hence the advertising currently in the market. Will this come at the expense of promoting the coverage on Foxtel?

- Will Foxtel continue to promote the NBL coverage if they are not producing it?

- What's in it for Foxtel in this arrangement, other than having more sports content to show? Is it is as simple as the NBL saying 'we will pay for production, commentators and give you the games to show so we have some TV coverage’?

- It will be interesting if Foxtel still supply their AFL and NRL commentators and crews like last season or if the NBL have sourced their own on screen and production teams. I guess we'll find out tonight! Hopefully Carfino is a special comments guy on no more than 1 game a week.

- I appreciate the NBL aren’t in a position to be signing massive TV rights deals, hence they have to pay for their own production, but it is an interesting approach. Well done to Larry and co for chipping in the money to fund it I guess.

Topic #40013 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

From what I read, another aspect of producing the games is the ability to throw sponsors at viewers constantly through the broadcast, instead of having to make do with sponsor logos on the courts and uniforms.

So longer term, it could prove to be a better move financially.

Reply #600548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather have a few sponsor plugs during games than seeing different coloured keyways! Have just seen what the NBL are doing with logos on Brisbane and Sydney's courts on Twitter. Yuck.

Also probably means the Wildcats won't have room for any Wildcats logos/branding on court (which I was hoping for)

Reply #600551 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Where did you see Sydney's court?

Reply #600552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/SydneyKings/status/783836503042461696 (pop out the image)

Reply #600553 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Also on their Facebook page

Reply #600562 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So basically the same as Brisbane's then.

Yeah, that's awful.

Reply #600571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney at least have yellow and purple trim around the court, which looks good

Reply #600573 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL said they've engaged those who did the NBA TV graphics to do NBL TV's. I've made the comment before that I really don't like NBA TV's graphics, and judging on the one used in preview videos so far, i'm really not a fan of the graphic. I'll be interested as to the graphics used for scoreboard and throughout the game.

With that said, I like the fact they have made video previews for each team, good on them.

Will this come at the expense of promoting the coverage on Foxtel?

It seems to already have done so, which is slightly disappointing to be honest. I saw an advert in the newspaper for NBL TV but they should have also promoted Fox Sports IMO.

Is it is as simple as the NBL saying 'we will pay for production, commentators and give you the games to show so we have some TV coverage'?

It seems this way, yes. If the NBL actually improves the production and uses its control over rights to create something like NBL TV and push streaming throughout Asia to get bigger viewer numbers opening up greater sponsorship opportunities then it might well prove to be a great plan. I think maybe they're neglecting Fox a bit more than they should be - after all, they do want people to tune in to NBL on Fox for those who have Fox.

Reply #600596 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL said they've engaged those who did the NBA TV graphics to do NBL TV's. I've made the comment before that I really don't like NBA TV's graphics
Aren't NBA TV's graphics just dropped onto local broadcasts, though? That would limit them to a greater degree than would be the case with the NBL, where they control the entire product from start to finish.

Reply #600602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Doesn't change the fact that aesthetically the graphics are terrible

Reply #600616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new ESPN NBA graphics are so bad

Reply #600617 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed anonymous, the new graphics are a serious downgrade. They could have kept last years ones for another few seasons...

Reply #600626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For anyone who hasn't joined NBL tv for free as a member, I just signed up, chose the team member option, clicked on my team and entered my details (assuming they would be the same as my membership) and I'm in.

I was just emailed a receipt too with a nil balance in the payment total.

I didn't need access codes or anything like that.

Reply #600627 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Fox sports is the past anyway. Streaming is the future, 'may as well start now

Reply #600629 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There isn't a team member option, I think you'll find you signed up for the single-team pass, which is free for everyone.

Reply #600630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah my bad, I thought the full package was free for all team's members.

Reply #600631 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is. There's just no way to access that yet.

Reply #600632 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Geez

http://i.imgur.com/r2C7eBg.jpg

Reply #600633 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...your point?

Reply #600634 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's some serious advertising on Newscorp for NBL TV.

Reply #600635 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I remember WWE having a 3 hour commercial free episode one time and the commentators had KFC and Mountain Dew on their table and other product placement spread throughout the episode, whilst I'm not sure exactly how NBL could do that same kind of thing I do think that seeing something like that would be far more desirable that adverts or company logos on the floors for teams.

Im not against the logos per se but I think the local club logo on court should be there somewhere

Reply #600636 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, leave the centre circle for team branding and mandate keyways being the same colour and you'll be okay.

Reply #600637 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

First few minutes.. a few things to fine tune I guess..

Liking the starting 5 graphics..

Reply #600645 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

2 mins from tip and broadcasting testing.. hmmm

Reply #600646 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Sheesh, it certainly chews the data! It looks nice, lots of colour and bright. No doubt will be a few tweaks needed but not too bad so far.

Reply #600648 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Graphics obviously made for the phone, the scoreboard and add ons looks huge on TV

Reply #600655 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Well looked, they've disappeared now

Reply #600657 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The game clock and shot clock were inaccurate all night, as was the scoreboard on occasion. Scoreboard is way too big.

And a lot of those 3D logos look ugly.

Reply #600681 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The game clock and shot clock were inaccurate all night, as was the scoreboard on occasion. Scoreboard is way too big.

And a lot of those 3D logos look ugly.

Reply #600682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few thoughts:
- The wildcats logo turned into a 3D logo looks terrible, very 90's
- missed seeing stats pop up on screen in game e.g how many points players have
- scoreboard a little too big on TV
- starting 5 graphics were good, but can't decide if I like the scoreboard and other graphics. A little reminiscent of the One/Ten graphics perhaps? Definitely didn't remind me of nba graphics though.
- commentary was ok, but did hear Carfino is the main called and not special comments guy for a game on the weekend - oh dear.
- Wildcats' numbers and names not visible from the wide shot due to the red on red. Decipherable on close ups.

Reply #600719 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Streaming gets blurry at times and a few times buffered. Need more bandwidth NBL.

Reply #600752 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I thought the intro and starting 5 graphics were quite good.
Not a big fan of the score bar. It looks a bit too chunky and kept breaking down. I much preferred fox sports score bar with the running stat line incorporated.
The change in camera angles was a bit weird also or is that just me.

Only game 1 however and hopefully NBL is open to feedback and suggestions.

Reply #600761 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To start with: The graphics are a downgrade on last years. They're too animated, metallic and clunky. It's too over the top even for T20 graphics.

Intro was decent, I liked the effort put into it and the building of the narrative re: Bullets return to the league.

We have to stop having Goulding as the go-to-guy in every single promotion...The NBL needs to alternate it a little so people know about a few other star players.

The actual intro graphic is very Channel Ten NBL/T20 coverage. It's decent and i'd be fine with it being kept.

The graphic showing the name of who's interviewed or the commentators isn't that great and the font looks small and not quite right.

The starting 5 graphic is okay, but a novelty that got annoying by the end. They could have just done the starting 5 graphic like ESPN does, simpler and nicer.

The quarter time/half time etc. score graphic looks weird with the font again and doesn't say in the middle "End of First Quarter" or whatever.

The scorebug itself is pretty bad and will annoy me all season. It's too big, it's too clunky, it's over the top with the metallic but the most annoying aspect is the LED timer look. Don't do it. Don't ever do it.

The rest of the graphics are fine and acceptable, although the 3D logo thing is a bit of an amateur version of ESPN. It works okay for the Bullets logo, not so much for the Wildcats.

The use of camera angles was first class, no complaints there - i'd say an improvement over last year.

I know there's not much that can be done in 2 hours - a studio show as LK was wanting is probably not a viable idea, but the runsheet felt almost exactly the same as last year. Part of me expected something a bit different to help build the narrative.

Reply #600766 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

After all the the who hah about the new production..

The score graphic is way way too big.

The camera on a floating arm thing is nice but just like the baseline camera of the past keep it for replays only.

Stream quality seemed great on my phone but wouldnt let me airplay to apple tv only let me mirror so on the tv it was janky.

Reply #600767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't notice much in the way of graphics, and I missed the start of the game, but the commentary was a massive step backwards. Dwayne Russell was way over the top with his excitement, and his knowledge of the game is severely lacking.

Reply #600768 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tbh the crowd was pretty bad, it was nice to hear excitement from someone

Reply #600773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was one play where Dwayne commented on something by saying "...and they're dancing in the aisles here too" as the camera cut to the crowd. There was hardly anyone cheering, let alone dancing.

Reply #600774 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"I trust you're enjoying the match on [wants to say Fox Sports].....the network you're watching"

Reply #600780 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A whole lot of complaining about a product that looks far more professional than before.

The graphics aren't perfect, but how you can say they don't look better than last year's last minute throw-together Fox Sports graphics is beyond me.

I really like the starting 5 graphics. I really like what they've done with the revamped techy logos. There's work to be done, obviously, but it is the first game and they'll continue to fine tune these things.

The NBL is starting to look like a genuine sports league rather than a backyard amateur operation. It might not be perfect yet, but it is a massive step forward. Embrace it.

Reply #600785 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IMO it looks less professional than last season - that does give rise to fair criticism

Reply #600786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A whole lot of complaining about a product that looks far more professional than before. "

Just because NBL staff tweet how proud they are of the amazing product they have this year, it doesnt mean it is any good. Its the same shit they spoke about with the re-branding/website re-launch last year - they tell us its improved when it actually hasn't.

Reply #600790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey guys

If you are looking to easily get nbl.tv on the big screen, it worked well for me on the ps4 web browser, if anyone is interested.

Reply #600794 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wow. Just wow.

Reply #600798 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The scoreboard is way too big, a couple of the 3D logos look awful, the LED effect on the clock makes it look like a cheap pre-season style 'point a camera at the clock in the stadium' effort, which you realise it isn't once you notice it's three seconds behind the actual clock in the stadium.

The scores were frequently wrong by seven or eight points.

The graphic appears only capable of changing its display once per second, so even though the shot and game clocks very rarely exactly line up in reality, they both change at exactly the same time every single time on TV. This also means tenths of a second - something 7 managed back when they had NBL coverage in 1990 - can't be displayed in the final minute.

The closing graphic proudly stated that it was "A NBL TV PRODUCTION", which pretty much sums it up on a couple of levels.

Reply #600802 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Name me a season where the graphics scoreboard hasn't faltered in the first few games. It happened last season, the season before that, add infinitum.

How do the 3D logos look awful? I thought what they did with them was quite effective.

Reply #600803 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

The worst thing for me was the awful court and the white cladded fans, made the arena look empty.

Could hardly tell who's home it was, hope they resolve that by going #MaroonMad

Seemed like another pre-season game.

Reply #600804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall production was fine, will improve but for a first game was pretty good. Scoring issues were a bit annoying but didn't detract from the game.

I would like to see the stream quality improve, interest was fine to leave it on the best setting but when cast to the TV it wasn't the best quality.

Reply #600805 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I would have thought the premiership table, leading scorers etc on the NBL home page would "automatically" update as soon as results start coming in?

Reply #600807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Name me a season where the graphics scoreboard hasn't faltered in the first few games.
That doesn't make it acceptable.

How do the 3D logos look awful?
My first reaction to Perth's was that they'd screwed up the model. Look at the version used at the start of the game, at quarter time, etc. You can't even tell what it is.

I'm guessing they're aware of how stupid it looks, given that Brisbane got their own replay wipe and the Wildcats only ever got the NBL logo.

Reply #600812 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Game clock is out by up to ten seconds, we're back to that ugly LED pattern, and the Carfino and Rosen combo has never been good ever.

Reply #600872 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Things that are worse than last year:
- Steve Carfino is back to do things like provide bored-sounding commentary over fantastic dunks and say 'my care factor is zero'.
- The score graphic is just way too damn big.
- The LED-style clocks are ugly.
- The clocks are both out of sync by up to ten seconds. How the shot clock can get out of sync by ten seconds I don't understand, but it happened.
- To try and hide this, they remove the clock completely in the final possession of each quarter. You know, the time the clock is most important.
- Just prior to that, the clock is incapable of displaying tenths of a second in the final minute, which looks horribly cheap.
- Also cheap-looking is the fact that the scoreboard can't increment by more than one point at a time.

Things that are better than last year:
- It's shinier

Reply #600938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK, how do we get to watch replays? As of this morning there is only the Brisbane v Perth game from Thursday night and the preseason comp available. What about the rest of the games being played so far.

I was really looking forward to watching a replay of the Perth v Cairns game from last night but its nowhere to be found - or at least I can't find it.

Is there something going on with replays?

Reply #601210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, I watched the replay of the Perth game as soon as I got home. The trick is it isn't in the replay section yet it's just in the normal games. If you click watch live you get the replay. You can jump ahead too which is handy

Reply #601211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK thanks for that - I'll give it a go now!

Reply #601212 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed Kobe, I noticed those things as well.

I like the addition of Brenton Speed to the commentary - he's great.

Reply #601215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which game did Brenton speed commentate? I'm a massive fan of his but haven't heard him call basketball before.

Dwayne Russell just said fox sports - I thought this should be network neutral commentary?

Reply #601247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving all of the classic games available on NBL TV

Reply #601293 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

They always have stats appearing under the scoreboard graphic but it doesn't seem to fit and all you see is FT% and then the rest is cut off.

Reply #601295 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brenton Speed did the Kings/Bullets game.

Reply #601299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They always have stats appearing under the scoreboard graphic but it doesn't seem to fit and all you see is FT% and then the rest is cut off.
...no?

The other thing I forgot to mention earlier: they're not plugging the hashtag on TV anymore.

Other thoughts:
- STOP SHOWING REPLAYS OVER LIVE PLAY!
- Why do we need picture-in-picture for two different angles of free-throws?
- The world does not actually revolve around Chris Goulding.
- The crane camera is way overused.
- Half time stats, previous-game scores, etc are too small, and not on the screen for anywhere near long enough.
- Starting five graphics are also too small, and move quicker than the commentators speak. They need to either have the graphic switch slower, or have the commentators be quicker.
- The Wildcats' logo is ugly.
- No, seriously. Horrendously ugly.
- Yes, so ugly it deserves three bullet points.
- I did like that they showed Johnson's three during half time of the Melbourne game. There should be more highlights of current-season games through broadcasts. I love seeing the classic clips they're pulling out, featuring Heal, Gaze, etc., but it's less relevant.
- Hopefully that's the last we see of that opening video package. Loved it night one, but it's unnecessary now. Replace it with something specific to the game about to air. Highlights of earlier games between the two teams, or the previous game each team played, things like that.
- Never, ever, ever put Brad Rosen and Steve Carfino on the same commentary team.
- If you absolutely have to violate the above, at least put a third commentator with them.
- Steve Carfino is not a play-by-play commentator.
- Honestly, he barely works as the sole colour guy. He sounds like he's waiting for the game to just finish already because he recorded The Bachelorette and wants to get home and watch it.

Reply #601309 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Why isn't Derek Rucker commentating? He was by far the best from last season. Dwayne Russell calling for Randle to come back on after he had fouled out was embarrassing for the league

Reply #601314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker had some legal issues I believe. Not sure if that's been resolved

Reply #601319 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So he was fouled out? I thought so, but I've barely slept in three days and haven't been feeling well, so I wasn't totally paying attention. Figured it must have just been his fourth when Russell started talking about him coming back.

The only possibilities were Joey Wright or Dwayne Russell being a complete moron though, with only a minute left.

Speaking of Russell, where's Matt? Are we only going to get him for Cairns games now, with Townsville out of the league? Huge fan of his.

What's the status of the Derek Rucker embezzling allegation? Is that still out there? If it is, that could be the reason he's not on TV.

Or Carfino became available, and they had to cut someone, so they cut Rucker. In which case...well.

Reply #601320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Why isn't Derek Rucker commentating? He was by far the best from last season. Dwayne Russell calling for Randle to come back on after he had fouled out was embarrassing for the league'

I thought I must have imagined Dwayne saying that

Reply #601324 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cutting Rucker for Carfino would make no sense at all.

Reply #601325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754