Anonymous
Years ago

Why did Jaron Johnson come off the bench in Game 1

I thought the Wildcats were all-in on playing athletic, fast basketball this season. If so, then unleash Prather and Johnson on the wings at the same time together. If not, then replace him with someone you will play. Starting Greg Hire is not going to get it done.

Topic #40028 | Report this topic

Perth fan  
Years ago

I think it was all about setting a defensive intensity right from the start, plus familiarity with the likes of Beal and Jervis. And to be honest, it worked at the start. Trouble happened with the intensity in the second half, when it all guys switched on. Two early fouls on Prather didn't help either.
Wouldn't be surprised with same starting line up tonight.

Reply #601038 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

** When all Brisbane guys switched on, especially the influence of Bruce.

Reply #601039 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Because the coach is stupid, that's why.
At least he got it right against Cairns

Reply #601291 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Fuck knows.
Nothing about that game made sense.
Look at the minutes the 3 star imports played, and compare that to the (usual) bench players.

Reply #601351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson sucks that's why.

Reply #601428 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, Gleeson has sucked his way to two NBL championships.
I hope he keeps sucking this season.

Reply #601467 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, Gleeson has sucked his way to two NBL championships.
I hope he keeps sucking this season.

One has to wonder how much of that was his brilliance and how much of that was inheriting an incredibly well established team on court that works very well together and possibly the best run organisation off court...

Probably plenty of Perth fans out there that could break down last seasons games into ones they got out of jail just on player brilliance and those that were clearly going to Gleeson's Plan A...

Reply #601486 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

One has to wonder how much of that was his brilliance and how much of that was inheriting an incredibly well established team on court that works very well together and possibly the best run organisation off court...

Probably plenty of Perth fans out there that could break down last seasons games into ones they got out of jail just on player brilliance and those that were clearly going to Gleeson's Plan A...

You're correct about much of that, but the problem if somebody wants to slam Gleeson, is that they're basically saying that the Wildcats can do everything right, EXCEPT hiring a coach.
Doesn't make a lot of sense.

And for all those who love to say "Gleeson's a Flog," I wonder. He certainly mouths off a lot during games, and shot his mouth off stupidly after Damo copped an elbow. But consider that the Cats have a history of dumping coaches who weren't considered to be "with the program" (as the saying goes.) Gleeson must say the right stuff during the week to keep everyone happy.

PS: Did anyone hear what the tech foul was for against Cairns?
Announcer said it was called on the bench, which I assume means Trev's big mouth.

Reply #601560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the tech was on gleeson but he looked quite puzzled about what it was for. I'm starting to respect gleeson more. Drew up a great play for Johnson to get the big three. Also the foresight to change style and go with Johnson and McKay when conventional wisdom would've been to bring back beal and jawai

Reply #601564 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think he had a choice about Jawai, but you're right he's certainly not sitting on his heels.

While Gleeson may irritate some/many people, any person who looks at his coaching with an open mind will say he has proven himself to be a successful coach with two clubs, and has only really had one bad season out of 10 in the NBL.

Reply #601582 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I would've replaced Beal and kept Nate plus 3 imports if it is allowable under that ridiculous points system. I believe Bevo was a great coach but and an ok recruiter who went with one import less to try land the Australian job. The owner saw he was doing this and jettisoned him which is fair enough.
Gleeson is a below average coach but brilliant recruiter.
The two championships he won was with teams that had vastly more playing talent than the opposition teams did that season- that doesn't make him a coach.

Believe it or not it is coaches with average lineups that keep performing on a high level year after year that indicates excellent coaching ie. Joey Wright (I know they got pounded last week but they will be in playoffs believe me)

Reply #601594 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There are loads of well credentialled coaches right now.

I rate Fearne, Wright, Bevo, Lemanis all above Gleeson, in terms of what they've achieved with the players they've had at their disposal.

And Henare has been NZNBL Coach of the year 3 times, and is Tall Blacks coach all at the age of 37 so time will tell, but I expect he'll turn out very good too.

Reply #601596 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Ah. Looks like Joey's got another one fooled.

Reply #601639 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yep Joey sure has me fooled. He takes a team that was the bottom of the ladder to the playoffs and grand final. Can't argue with that. Sound like you are in fact the fool

Reply #601641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is fearne a good coach? He seems regimented/disciplined which is good for defense but his teams on offense look like they have the shackles on them

Reply #601646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754