A disgruntled fan
Years ago

NBL/Perth Wildcats game night entertainment

It's so good to see the rest of the league has improved their game night entertainment, however Perth's entertainment last night was almost identical to that of last season.

Been a member for 6 seasons now and am a diehard NBL fan and been so excited for this season, however was disappointed to find out the Wildcats had not changed much since last season. I am there to specifically watch the basketball (not like others who go for the overall experience), but I feel as if the entertainment the Wildcats offer draws the attention away from the game itself, rather than complementing it.

Not a massive fan of the marching band used during play. Defensive soundbites/no sound at all would be better in my opinion. I believe the marching band would be great in time outs and other situations like that.

Also am not a fan of the constant music played during live action. Sydney seemed to have figured it out with the use of "soundbites" after a good play or when going on a run, similar to what they do in the NBA. This lets the crowd grow the atmosphere and helps build the sounds of the game, rather than have constant music being played almost every time down the floor on offense. The majority of the songs used also haven't been changed since last season (or many previous seasons beforehand) and they are mostly outdated. This is also at least the 3rd year straight where they have used the Jimmy Barnes "Good Times" intro with the pyrotechnics, however don't mind this because it's quite amusing seeing the imports get hype to some Barnsey! That being said, there are much better songs available that could be used.

Love the man himself but I feel the Wildcats are a bit past using Lachy Reid as an announcer. The constant in game talking (or shouting/screaming for that matter) has done my head in ever since he started again mid way through last season. The announcer should only talk when stating who scored, fouls, violations, etc., rather than "Take it to the whole Casey!" or in game commentary along those lines. Whilst he does a good job at building the atmosphere, a lot of the times it is forced and they should just let the game play.

Love my Wildcats and all that they do, but I do believe there are some changes to game night entertainment which can be made to further enhance the experience for fans.

What do you all think about this?

Topic #40035 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. I also love the Wildcats and I love Perth Arena. We are definately spoilt here in Perth. But i have stopped going to many games because I also think the entertainment is a bit too much. Too much music, too much mc announcing etc...

There is definately an emphasis on entertaining the crowd moreso than watching a basketball game.

Still, in hindsight the direction they have taken has probably saved the club too.

Reply #601287 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Who gives a damn I'm there to see the basketball not to be entertained. Guess that makes me a "purist" lol

Reply #601290 | Report this post

Stackhouse  
Years ago

Wouldn't expect much out of the 36ers. Sounds like half of their game night staff haven't been asked back including MC Jarrod Walsh. Cutting down on the cheerleaders too.
Last season they provided twitter commentary for both home and away games. That doesn't appear to be happening this year either.
Then there is the DJ they had at the past game.
Hopefully the basketball is good though.

Reply #601294 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lachy was OTT last night but I put it down to a bit of game 1 over-excitement. We'll see on Friday I guess.
He definitely carried on too much during the action, and yes the shouting at a player when he's about to do something is probably what makes me cringe the most. It's pretty bush league to have "look out!" yelled when someone's about to go up for a dunk. We're all basketball fans in there, we don't need to be told to look, and I don't imagine the players appreciate that stuff either. The game needs to be respected.

I still think Lachy is good overall, he's positive and he loves the game and, but needs to fix up his timing a bit. eg. Yelling some long rant to fire everyone up is fine but do it during breaks in play.

I like the marching band and I don't mind it being used during play. If it means less playing of the same song that's been used for 10 years then that's a positive for sure. The ratio of songs:band:nothing still isn't ideal but it's at least moving in the right direction.

I thought last night was the most amped game 1 crowd Perth has had for ages (I mean in general - not just at the end) so overall they're still doing a lot right.
Personally I don't really care about the non-game "entertainment" or even pay much attention to it, but I assume it's mostly aimed at the kids and thus the sameness, because kids are into repetition.

If people have suggestions for other entertainment I know the Cats office would welcome them. They take it pretty seriously.

Reply #601296 | Report this post

A disgruntled fan  
Years ago

That's strange, especially considering the adjustments they made mid last season to their game night experience. Court looked really good with the lights dimmed on the crowd, so it's a surprise to see them cutting back on all the other aspects. Wasn't aware that they were in a poor financial position?

Reply #601298 | Report this post

A disgruntled fan  
Years ago

Yep completely agree with that post. Would love to see Lachy continue but maybe without all the comments during the action. Wildcats game night experience is still as a whole not bad, but just with all the changes other teams were making, was maybe expecting a little more from the Wildcats.

Reply #601300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie understands the game very well and the team's momentum. He knows when to amp it up and when to put it in cruise control. Even though it's very early, we could not afford to go 0-2 losing to a lower team at home. He was in must-win mode and I didn't mind it.

Reply #601302 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The use of dry ice on the court before the Halloween game last season pretty much sums it up. Honestly feels like most of the organisation would prefer if the basketball stuff (requirements for non-slippery floors, visible jersey elements, etc) didn't constantly get in the way of all the awesome things they were doing.

Reply #601304 | Report this post

HoggyTimeRulz  
Years ago

This feedback is best submitted to the Perth Wildcats club.

IT's good for discussion here, but if you want something done. Email it to them directly.

Reply #601306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love a basketball fan who doesn't go because of the music. (rolleyes) Tell em rather than bitch on here

Reply #601307 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I'd like the marching band to actually march. At the moment they're more like a walking band.

Reply #601312 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd like the marching band to actually march. At the moment they're more like a walking band.
And people think I'm picky.

Hoggy, Anon - I've sent countless emails to the club about the game night entertainment. I gave up after they implemented the exact opposite of every single suggestion I made in one of them.

Reply #601316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the marching band. Makes for a good contrast with just playing recorded tracks all night

Reply #601318 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The thing I dislike about the marching band is more the obscene amount of money spent on them per game that could be spent on something more worthwhile, like out-of-bounds decals or something.

The light rig that sits on the floor in front of the commentary table, too.

Felt similarly last year when they explained how they had to pass on the NBL's playoff surcharge and then dropped a giant 'go wildcats' banner from the ceiling for two seconds, then packed it away and never got it out again.

Reply #601322 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

The marching band should do the voodoo dance at the end of close games. The opposition teams would love it!

Reply #601326 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Using the flames behind the backboard instead of the air gun thing would be awesome too. Imagine flames after Johnson hits the 3 to force overtime!

Reply #601327 | Report this post

Juno95  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats are doing a good job with their game night entertainment. Their aim is to entertain a family audience, and yes it may be repetitive but I think that is what most people want - I know "We will Rock You" has been played at the start of the game for years, but that is what people expect, same with Wolfmother to start 4th quarter. Personally I'm not too keen on the marching band, but I'm sure many other people enjoy them, however I would prefer that they just played before the game and in timeouts.

Lachy Reid is probably the best basketball MC in Australia but yes he was a bit OTT last night, but he does do a great job of getting the fans involved and on their feet.

I wouldn't want to see too much change on game nights.

Reply #601328 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Most entertainment at basketball games is poor imo. I'm there to see the game and wouldn't care if the whole nonsense was scrapped. It is only there for children and maybe people who aren't that into basketball but are just seeing a game for the first time.

Reply #601331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, why do you think the club would/should change anything just because YOU don't like it?

Reply #601332 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The cats are extremely responsive to fan input.

In fact if you were a member, you should have been invited to participate in a huge survey, on precisely this topic.
Perth fans LOVE Lachy Reid, and actually asked for him to come back. Again, this was specifically covered in the survey.

As for the crowd being "over amp'd"???
The crowd was pretty much silenced by the middle of the last quarter, then started to get behind the Cats and tried to yell them home.
Then JJ hits the tying bomb with 0.8 seconds left on the clock, WTF do you expect, the roof nearly blew open.

Practically every element was covered in the survey, including the Armed Services Tribute, and the Ball-Kid. (To which I was positive.)

I was negative towards some things, but the point is that they would listen to the majority.

Reply #601333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans can afford it apparently.

Reply #601336 | Report this post

A disgruntled fan  
Years ago

What is everyone's opinion on having the lights dimmed on the crowd like what they do at the Staples Center? Would you like to see this done at Perth Arena? Adelaide and NZ have both implemented it and looks very good on TV imo, however not sure how everyone would feel about drawing away from the impact of the Red Army and the sea of red in the crowd?

Reply #601340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if we have all this entertainment stuff going on, the ticket prices are the highest they have ever been, and we're about to break our membership record then yes, we can afford it and looks like we're happy to pay for it.

Reply #601341 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"What is everyone's opinion on having the lights dimmed on the crowd like what they do at the Staples Center? Would you like to see this done at Perth Arena? Adelaide and NZ have both implemented it and looks very good on TV imo, however not sure how everyone would feel about drawing away from the impact of the Red Army and the sea of red in the crowd?
"

It looks good on TV because it really puts the game on the spotlight. But there probably should be a mix between the two methods. I don't remember when Adelaide did it last? I must have slept on that little happening.

Reply #601342 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I like the entertainment. The marching band is good during the pre game although I wished they could of learned a new song during the offseason.

The dunk team, half time kids match and half court shot competition is enough to keep me amused and watching on during the breaks.

At the end of the day though, I go to Wildcats games to watch basketball, all the other stuff does its job - to keep me amused during the breaks.

Lachie is far more valuable than he is a nuisance......by a long shot. He would be worth a few points a game easy. Chances are if your outside of the Perth fan base and you don't like him, he's doing a great job :P

Reply #601344 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Simple fact is that if you want to get 13,000 people to shell out for a BBL game in a city the size of Perth, then you're relying on "social" attendees. Those who are enjoying a good night out.
Personally, yeah, I would save the money spent on the flames and the band, but thats just me.
They're no dummies. They do their research, and they listen to fans.
Furthermore, I happily go nuts at the games, but some people do need a bit of amping up.

End of the day, I can only laugh at all the haters proclaiming "oh, other teams do it better, other teams have the right idea." Yeah, that's why "other teams" would give their left nuts to get a Perth-sized crowd.

Reply #601350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone doesn't like the game night entertainment at the Cats please stop going to the games so that maybe the prices eventually come down. Wildcats prices are absolutely ridiculous. No idea how they compare to the rest of the league, but to get a decent seat you have to pay min $50 to sit in silver and even then that seat isn't great.

Reply #601383 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I sat in Bronze for 2 years and would consider them more than decent. My membership was something like $329 a year which works out $23.90 per game. Very affordable, especially when they offer payment plans.

I upgraded this year to Silver for only $399. The seats I have are amazing. I would not consider these prices ridiculous and I'm far from a wealthy man.

Reply #601387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I just don't agree. If you are paying to watch from the Bronze area then you may as well just sit at home and watch it, you get a better view. Bronze IMO is for anyone who wants to take the family for all the lights and entertainment, not the basketball.

Silver is a decent compromise i'll admit, but single game tickets there are MINIMUM 50$ if you aren't a Member and your still sitting in the upper level. To have a good view you have to be in gold, and that is 100-150$.

By comparison:
Brisbane gold seating (basically courtside): $40
Melbourne gold: $20 (most expensive ticket)
Sydney platinum: $46.50
Illawara platinum $76

Perth minimum twice as expensive for the same seating in most cases much much more than twice expensive.

Reply #601395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet it still is almost at capacity most games, and they have record membership. So I guess what they are doing works.

Reply #601398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence my frustration and suggesting people don't attend if they want to complain!

Reply #601404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you'd rather see less people attend and put the club and league at risk?

Reply #601406 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm sure everyone would love to pay less to attend being human nature, but the team needs to pay players, staff the arena, etc while also trying to make a profit being a business at the end of the day.

I would certainly not deliberately "not go to games".

The demand is there which is different to other clubs so the Wildcats are in a good position in that respect where they don't need to give decent pricing for good seats.

The only gripe I have is merchandise pricing, could be a little cheaper. Even then, a lot of us are happy to pay.

Reply #601409 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The Perth Arena would most likely cost 2-3 times the amount to rent then a lot of other venues.

Reply #601417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have been going through the motions for years. Even in the Challenge days their excuse was the entertainment is bad but will be good once the move to Arena happened. Arena move occurs and the gameday experience is still poor. Gave up membership years ago it's just too boring not the entertainment but also style of play which is defensive. those two hand in hand made me give it up. yawn.

Reply #601419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Arena isn't 2-3x the rent of most other veneus... you have Hisense, Sydney Superdome, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Vector Arena. Come off it.

Reply #601420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats entertainment I am not a fan of personally, but it is hands down the best in the league. You simply cannot argue that..

Reply #601450 | Report this post

Juan  
Years ago

Can't believe you just compared Perth Arena to Vector Arena...

Reply #601453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fewer assistant coaches would save money.

Reply #601462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many complainers. The Wildcats have done lots of research into the game night experience with trips to the US to learn from college's and nba teams on what majes a good night and what brings people in. I love the game night experience An feel that it is considerably better than it was at challenge. I love the lights and the defence chants and my heart rate kicks up when i hear Sirius. I don't mind the use of music during the offenses plays (you get worse music at SBL games) i personally wish they would use the band more as they do at some Lynx games.
I have had silver membership behind the basket since the PEC days and the prices have never been extreme compared to prices for any kind of entertainment in perth. I often try to bring friends and for those who have not got a big basketball background the game night entertainment is a big part of what will have them coming back.
A NBL game can't just be for basketball purists it has to appeal to casual fans and families and to do that you need the show.

Reply #601464 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Agreed, my kids wouldn't have loved their first game without all the extra entertainment and buildups. Def needs to be family entertainment friendly.

Reply #601465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth Arena isn't 2-3x the rent of most other veneus... you have Hisense, Sydney Superdome, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Vector Arena. Come off it."

Perth Arena can't be more expensive, and to prove it, you're going to just name some venues? Good one!

Reply #601520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why are ticket prices so expensive then?

Reply #601540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats merchandise from the Arena is way way above suggested retail. The new jerseys are like $30 more than what they will be from other retailers once the other retailers get their stock in. Wildcats are seriously taking the piss with their pricing.

Reply #601541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great that all these economists are telling the richest and most successful club with the biggest fan base what they are doing wrong. They are so fortunate to have this free advice!!

Reply #601548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they have several merch outlets at the games and they are always busy

Reply #601549 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And again with people bitching about merchandising pricing.

Merchandising is overpriced because its a luxury. You can watch the game without it. If you turned up to the first game you got a free shirt, so there your "Red" is sorted.
You can choose when and if you buy. Those that can afford to kit out their whole family in the latest gear every season, subsidise those of us who can't.

Reply #601555 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So why are ticket prices so expensive then?

For some of us they're not. I have great seats, and the cost is reasonable. That's the advanatage of being a long-term member.

I'' admit, that for somebody that can't afford season tickets, individual game prices are a bit steep. Unfortunately you wind up in the "bandwagoner" category, there's no way to distinguish between them, and those genuinely doing it tough.

Reply #601557 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yes I sent my e-mailed survey to the Wildcats and they didn't change a single thing I suggested but oh well no harm in trying.

Lachie Read may have been over the top but the Wildcats fans were dead for almost the entire match, all forms of entertainment were shit until JJ stood up. I'd prefer Lachie inform the crowd who scored from time to time or who the foul was on... silly bits like that.

As for dimming of the crowd, I think it could be ok until we are told to stand up, then that should be fully lit up

Reply #601579 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has anyone suggesting they dim the crowd actually looked at the lighting setup?

Reply #601580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's great that all these economists are telling the richest and most successful club with the biggest fan base what they are doing wrong."
THat sums up the attitude of why Perth are so hated.

Reply #601583 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I've been a member for 9 years and have definitely seen some downers in entertainment (Morph suit men), the problem the Cars have is they don't replace entertainment...they pile on, so now we have just a mush of top 40 music, pub rock, marching band, dry ice, sound effects, fire works and giant faces in the crowd. It can be a bit much.

BUT... a few years ago I moved to Sydney and have since seen every cats game in Illawarra and Sydney (plus a few in Melbourne) and all I can say is Zzzzzzz. It is embarrassing, my wife and I spent much of the game laughing at the MCs lack of basketball knowledge and static nature from behind a desk, the crowds non care to the point of silence for much of the game. Perth fans, we've got it good.

As for prices, you pay more for success. In the AFL, Carlton and Collingwood both play at the same ground. The top priced Carlton ticket is around $60 but for Collingwood it is $75. Clubs will charge what people will pay.

Reply #601591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754