LV
Years ago

Ticket Prices- Memberships vs Walk ups

After being a club member since 2001-02, I've decided not to renew. United hasn’t offered 7 game memberships, and I’m just not interested in attending more than that. But- I’ve now realised ticket prices are $$$$$$!!!

Memberships are quite cheap. For general admission, it works out at $15 a game (if you attend every match) and Bronze (Upper Sidelines) it’s under $20. That’s $185 or $229 for the 12 Hisense games.

But if I want to attend one game, I’m looking at around $35 (30 ish + 5ish booking fee) for the worst seats in the house- upper baselines, General Admission. Seats that you’d probably have to pay me to sit in. Compared to $15 a game on average for 12 games. If I want half decent seats ie Bronze, I’m looking at total cost of around $40. Compared to $19 a game for the membership. So obviously, even if you attend half the games, it’s financially worth it.

So basically, memberships are super cheap but game tickets are expensive- compared to other sports I attend like AFL & Big Bash. In the end, I’ll probably choose to watch most of the games on NBL.TV and just attend one or two blockbusters. (Technology makes it convenient, and there’s no need to commute into the city. My time is precious, just as my cash is....).

It got me thinking- Is this a good strategy by the club? Why/why not?

Topic #40049 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Encourage membership so guaranteed revenue. I think it is that simple.
At least you aren't trying to buy single tickets in Perth, my seat is $110/game and that isn't even the best category.

Reply #601592 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think the concept is sound.

I would just lower the price of the worst seat, ie: GA. So you aren't creating a barrier to entry for casual fans who might want to check it out, but would baulk at paying $35 to attend a one off match (remembering that you can attend AFL or Big Bash for much less).

Last season United's average crowd at Hisense was around 7-8,000. They sold out two games (10,200) but most were around 6-9,000. So it's not like they're usually pushing people away....

Reply #601593 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

At least you aren't trying to buy single tickets in Perth, my seat is $110/game

...are you serious?

Reply #601601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

110$ is average for a good seat to the Cats game. Good being lower bowl level sideline, not courtside.

Reply #601602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Are you guys all loaded from mining or something?

That's ridiculous. I struggle to part with a third of that for an NBL game unless it's a final, then i'd part with half!

Reply #601603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's more the supporter base is massive so they regularly sell out, they can charge what they for the good seats. Demand is high

Reply #601604 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Thanks for the lesson in supply & demand anon

Reply #601606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol sorry wasn't trying to be condescending. I wish prices were more reasonable for good seats.

Reply #601609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was just on ticketek looking at wildcats tickets and here are prices for adult tickets. some blocks had no tickets available i assume those are sold out due to members.

Reply #601610 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah serious but membership price is down to $43/game.

I am not sure there are actually that many seats available, especially in the blocks around me that aren't members so that price is probably not a high percentage of single game ticket sales.

Reply #601611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the arena sells out around 13000 and they are near cracking 10k members, it doesn't leave much wiggle room for the general punter to get along to a game without sitting way up in the bleachers. Sitting at the back row at Perth Arena gives worse views than back row in some NBA arena's due to the way it's built.

Reply #601612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's incredible. Thanks anon.

Reply #601613 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ me.

Just incredible that the tickets are so expensive.

For whatever reason, Cats games must be *the thing* to do in Perth. Getting huge crowds with prices like that- Well done to everyone involved.

Reply #601614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually anon #612 from what I have seen the seats fill up from the front and back first and it is the middle that is the last to sell

Reply #601615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because the middle is the perfect mix of crappy prices and crappy views. The $60 section shown above is 'silver' i believe. And it's upper level. If your paying 60, you may as well pay 100 and sit lower level. It's a bad price point for the market

Reply #601616 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Completely agree with the above re: Silver - they need to lower the public prices for it, otherwise you end up like some games last season where the lower corner bowls were sitting 90% empty, while the rafters were absolutely jam packed... not a great look

Reply #601617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"May as well sit in gold for extra 20-40 bucks"

Or sit 10-20 rows further back for half that price. It's stupid

Reply #601618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait people are paying $150 for a ticket to the wildcats? far out that is ridiculous. NBL TV ftw

Reply #601621 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

They use to sell Gibbs pies and pasties at 36ers games too. Did so for years then just stopped. Lucky we didn't have the internet back then.

Reply #601626 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Bullets memberships cost the same $/per game as walk ups. Not really providing much incentive to become a member there. Both Sydney and Melbourne especially provide excellent savings on walk up tickets.

Reply #601633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754