Peter
Years ago

Anne Hatchard to play basketball & AFL

Interesting that Anne Hatchard will play for the Lightning and Adelaide Crows in the AFL. Interestingly, she said her coach suggested she try AFL.

There are also others playing multiple sports at the same time.

How does everyone think this will go? Historically if you play any sport at a high level (particularly if you are getting paid) they dont allow you you to play anything else (even social sport) especially at the same time incase you get injured.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-12/adelaide-crows-female-afl-players-say-draft-pick-dream-come-true/7926664

Topic #40051 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Erin Phillips - AFL and WNBA.

Reply #601654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did her head coach suggest it or her assistant coach suggest it at the dinner table?

Reply #601658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can honestly say I have never heard of her

Reply #601660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made state teams as a junior & played Premier League for Sturt this year. First time being involved with the Lightning.

Reply #601673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach who suggested she play was actually her North U10's coach who was playing footy at the time and she told Anne she should come play Women's when she turned 16 so it was a couple of years ago and the reason she started playing in the first place, not a suggestion by any current coach.

Reply #601681 | Report this post

amominous  
Years ago

Generally, it's a contractual no-brainer, ask any agent. The contracting party will require exclusive service from the player (for obvious reasons).

I doubt if the Phillips WNBA - AFL case is a relevant example. Assuming that (a) she was on a one season deal with Dallas & (b) the seasons are not concurrent.

Reply #601687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shes a development player she wont be getting paid anything shes making up numbers at lightening....so good for her going to play AFL at least she can get paid for her time

Reply #601696 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Depends on the definition of "making up the numbers" I guess.
She played ~ 6 minutes in both of Adelaide's games this season. That's a nice achievement for an 18 year old.

Reply #601698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary is only $5000 a season.

Reply #601956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754