Luuuc
Years ago

NH - Basketballers in the AFLW

There are quite a few basketballers - both former and current - giving the AFL Women's league a go.
I saw a few mentioned during the draft today, and I just saw the Anne Hatchard thread, so that's one I wasn't aware of.

So far I know of
* Erin Phillips (Crows) (current WNBA)
* Anne Hatchard (Crows) (current WNBL)
* Stacey Barr (Dockers) (former WNBL)
* Jess Bibby (Giants) (former WNBL & WNBA)
* Ebony Antonio (Dockers) (former WNBL)
* Alison Downie (Blues) (former WNBL)
* Lauren Pearce (Demons) (former WNBL)

Any others?

Topic #40052 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ruby Schleicher (Collingwood) has represented WA at U16 and U18 Nationals and played SBL for Willeton.
I wonder if Stacey Barr likes having a shot for goal as much as she likes shooting a 3 point shot in basketball,which she does very well.If so,I wouldn't be expecting to get too many handballs or passes in the Dockers forward line.

Reply #601676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti going to play?

Reply #601677 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Was thinking this too yesterday Luuuuc.
I saw Downie was going to go across to AFL, but at 32 she would have only had a couple of years left at the top level anyway. My question with the draft was how many of the young talent (like Conti) will decide to move across and perhaps be lost to basketball ? Of the young ones drafted, how many were WNBL calibre athletes that we may lose from our game?

Reply #601692 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Downie is an interesting one. I wasn't aware that she already had been playing footy for a few years until yesterday when Roy Ward retweeted this article from 2011
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/downies-passion-bounces-back-after-kicking-it-in-a-different-sport-20111204-1odhj.html

I haven't seen any mention of Conti playing, but yeah it's players like her that are the concern I guess. In her case her ceiling is high and there's an existing pathway to be able to play professionally, which remains to be seen with footy.
Because this season is only 2 months, everyone can have a crack without it being too disruptive of whatever else they're doing. Will be interesting to see how it goes and what the AFL does with it after that though.

Reply #601694 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh, and you're quite right that Stacey never saw a 3 point opportunity she didn't like, so yeah I can definitely picture her having a ping at the big sticks from 40 out. "Lower the eyes, Stacey!" might be a regular one from the Freo runner ;)
I think she could do ok. No idea of her footy skills but she's got the physique for it and with the Lynx last season she certainly didn't shy away from contact.

Reply #601695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFl's agenda is simple - blocking move on basketball and women's sport in general.

Has only attracted second their talent at the moment - has been or never quite will be. Very good players, so impacts on the depth in women's basketball.

Conti lol

Reply #601790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFLW? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Reply #601964 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Netball has been hit a lot harder than basketball from what I gather.

Reply #601978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gabby O'sullivan played at College of Coastal Georgia, drafted by Freo

Reply #602009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conti too young - need to be 18

Reply #602661 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As the aflw grows its a definite threat to aussie women's basketball. I think i read comments from Phillips saying she would have played footy all along had there been a pro league, and that's someone that has made it to the highest levels of hoops. Something to watch

Reply #602986 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She's a special case though. Most girls aren't raised by a dad who's a star AFL player.

Reply #602995 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah but it is by far and away the most popular sport in over half of the country. If there is a pathway that passion will likely turn into more girls dedicating themselves to it

Reply #602996 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh no doubt.
AFL has a much bigger fan base than basketball, and just from my personal experience I'd guess that its proportion of female fans is higher than basketball's too. That degree of popularity/awareness surely influences which sport kids get into in the first place once there is a full pathway in place.
AFL is absolutely a threat, and it has the money to be an even bigger threat if it so chooses. Whether it *really* wants to remains to be seen, but I'm guessing it does, because it's a huge area of potential growth for itself as a business.

Reply #603008 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So the inaugural season kicks off tonight.
Freo Dockers (who play @ Western Bulldogs tomorrow) have at least 3 basketballers in their team so I'm definitely going to have a look at them.
And of course there's no way I'm missing Erin Phillips's debut either - tomorrow at Thebarton Oval, 4:35pm SA time.

Reply #622177 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, absolutely all over the radio and TV here in Victoria, yet hardly any mention of the NBL double header tonight at all.

If there is any doubt whether Victoria is a Football State, it has been removed without remorse.

Good on them, I hope the games are fun and the girls do great, but this is a semi-pro league at best and the NBL is our best level possible, even the tennis, cricket and soccer gets a decent run on general TV news, bloody disgraceful really...

Reply #622221 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All this talk about what a historic day this is ... it's a bit rich.

It's not like there haven't been national women's sports leagues in this country for decades!

Reply #622222 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Credit where it's due though ... massive crowd in! Gates closed. They reckon ~ 18k
Alison Downie dwarfs most of the other players. I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Reply #622251 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I watched the Darcy Vescio spectacular..

Reply #622389 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Busy start for Erin, helping set up the first goal, and milking a couple of frees for herself (definitely some basketball nous showing through there ;) ... but missed both regulation shots

Reply #622391 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She's killing it now. Huge influence on the game from the forward pocket. Got the kicking boots on now too. Commentators are loving her.

Reply #622408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really surprised reading the paper today to see Freo's rucks are only 179-180cm. Still fairly tall, but I would have thought they'd be able to find some 188cm+ ex basketball or something to try and covert to a ruckman (ruckwoman? lol)

Reply #622410 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, the female Nic Nat certainly looks tiny next to the real one.
I doubt it will matter much though. The ruck position seems pretty redundant from what I've seen of the AFLW so far. The skills aren't at the level where a quality ruck will be a big factor.

Reply #622418 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Erin Phillips one of the best on ground for the Crows today in their big win over GWS.

Reply #622420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AWFL

Says it all really

Reply #622541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ cmon mate...
Get with the times.

Reply #622542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yes, because men perving at sweaty women in tight shorts is really modern and progressive.

Reply #622543 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tippet and Cambage would be pretty good to watch

Reply #623034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/coach-not-sold-on-hype-of-new-league-ng-b88376561z

Reply #623036 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Andy gets the thumbs up from me for those comments. Hope he is ready to cop some misguided hate now.

I'm a lifelong footy fan and fully supportive of the AFLW, and I enthusiastically watched 3 of the games over the weekend. Love all the hype it generated. Exciting stuff, and great for women's sport.

But it's also a very unrefined product. Which is understandable, since a background of many years playing the sport has not been possible for these women. But it is what it is. The skills and decision-making on display were pretty bad.
Then I went to a Lynx game and watched some world class players doing their thing, in a nice stadium that was fairly sparsely populated, because it wasn't being pumped up by a league whose revenue is measured in hundreds of million$.

The explosion of the AFLW is both exciting and depressing.

Reply #623044 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, it's just depressing. Something finally overtook the BBL for that title; at least the BBL is a quality product (the WA team not being shit helps), even if it did directly replace the NBL as Ten's summer sport offering.

I watched the Freo game and the Adelaide game. Was not impressed at all.

Reply #623134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its good they have a league, there should be some form of top league for women, but the thing i absolutely hate is all the hype it gets.

I only managed to watch about a quarter of a 2 games before walking away because its so average. Yet the media hype it as the best thing to happen to the AFL. They claim they have 'sell outs' even though its a free event lol. Somehow they ignore the fact that kicking one goal in a game is terrible even though a men's side would cop it from the media. They showed the dockers only goal (their one highlight) on the news then said how it shows freo are a highly rated force to be reckoned with in the league... like seriously lol.

Yes the leagues standard will improve over time, but even at its peak it still won't be amazing. The VFL, WAFL etc don't get great crowds or media attention and yet the quality of their games are 100x better than the women's, and probably always will be.

All this hype and its only been one weekend. In a few weeks or years time when the hype dies down, the crowds will too. I think people are expecting the current interest to be the norm and not the exception. Like Andy said people won't want to go watch that long term, and certainly won't ever want to pay for it. I think in a year or so it will go back down to the level of the WBBL and still having some small relevance and very slight interest, but not get any of the media attention and hype it does now.

Reply #623136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin Phillips co-captains the premiers and wins B.O.G. in the grand final.

Reply #631834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke league.

Reply #631840 | Report this post

feminists have a lot of power at present - IMO the glass ceiling has been smashed and expect more womens issues / rights / advocacy to be at the forefront of our media , funding , lifestyles over the upcoming years.

Reply #631842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's already at ridiculous levels when will it end as they've already jumped the shark.

Reply #631844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Erin was great yet again.
Which in a way is not a great look for the AFLW - that a basketballer can come in with a couple of months prep and dominate a football league. But it's certainly testament to Erin's sporting prowess.

Oh, and yes - everyone be very afraid of all the feminists! LOL ... these parasitic women with their $8500 pay packets for the season have come to drain the cash-strapped AFL of its last couple of dollars. It's really a huge injustice.

Reply #631847 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It genuinely is an injustice, but it's toward the WNBL rather than the AFLM (it's obviously not an injustice to the AFL, being part of it).

Not a football fan anyway, but much as with the BBL taking over as Ten/One's major summer sport, I just can't support it out of principle.

It's also garbage. That doesn't help.

Reply #631851 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I haven't made my mind up about whether I think it has been bad for the WNBL (in some aspects it definitely has, but I think there could be positives to come out of it as well), but I don't see what injustice has occurred.
Care to elaborate?

Reply #631855 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The relative media attention the leagues receive, compared to the quality of the players.

Reply #631856 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ahh, ok. I was thinking more along the lines of injustices perpetrated by the AFL/W.

Where the ratings go, the media will follow and jump on board. The AFL put out a shiny new thing, marketed the hell out of it, and the people went for it. Despite the product being pretty poor compared to the WNBL. It certainly proved the value of good promotion.

Reply #631857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still can't believe girls play this at junior level (I assume so since there is a pro league now). Mind boggling.

Reply #631862 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's mind boggling that junior sports exist?

Reply #631870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That young girls play aussie rules

Reply #631878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moreso how tf did it become a sport for women in the first place

Reply #631879 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Women started playing it?

I'm not sure why you think this is so complicated.

Reply #631881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the thought process going on inside of parent's heads to setup this savage sport to be played by girls? This obsession with eggball has jumped the shark.

Reply #631906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our precious flowers should not be subjected to such brutality. I don't know what men were thinking allowing this to happen. Clearly they have been brainwashed by feminists.

Reply #631913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon you don't get it - it's for dykes not regular girls.

Reply #631945 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

^ ignorant comment, these a high percentage of non-hetero or Bi girls in all the womens elite teams, Olympic or otherwise. if its more or less than the general population I neither know or care.

I do know that there are more than a few gay men playing in the national AFL , so what ???

Reply #631948 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think this is a classic "do not feed the troll" situation.

Reply #631958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a troll. Many ppl even rusted on AFL fans are like wtf at this whole AFLW and females participating when netball has traditionally partnered footy. Where is the men's pro netball league?

Reply #631976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754