Jack Toft
Years ago

R2: Adelaide v Melbourne

First home game for Adelaide who had two on the road last round. Melbourne was one of those teams and Melbourne is chock full of talent. One on one and pound for pound Melbourne looks like a better outfit and in the pre-season Hoops predictor, most fans predicted Melbourne to finish top and the Sixers to walk away with the Marty Clarke Memorial Wooden Spoon.

However, as they say "a champion team beats a team of champions" and with Sixers management making emergency alterations to the visitor locker room to make room for egos, I think the Sixers are definitely in the hunt tonight.

Being the first home game, I'm expecting the usual lineup of people at the door getting their season tickets and the occasional Melbourne supporter trying their best to heckle with some "clever" jibe.

It may have been lights out a few weeks ago in Adelaide, but I'm predicting Lights Out for Melbourne tonight with the Sixers getting across the line in a very tight, entertaining game. Sixers by 3.

BTW, is it just me, or does Dave Anderson remind anyone else of Tom Green (Freddy got fingered fame)

Topic #40077 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40067-adelaide-36ers-v-melbourne28are-they29-united-14-10/

Reply #601996 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Melbs by 17

Reply #602002 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

If Melbournes 3s hit could be a big win if not 6ers for the win

Reply #602003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne would not win unless they tell
goulding to stop selfishly jacking up his shots.

Reply #602008 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The treys are bound to drop for Melbourne eventually, but if Randle has another big one it might be 0-3 hole. My money is on Melbourne.

Reply #602010 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Let's go with United in OT, by 4 points...

Reply #602013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide by 10

Reply #602015 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

Randle streaking down the court and the camera leaves the action to focus on the scoreboard!

Reply #602016 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Surely getting the score onto the screen isn't that complicated.

Reply #602017 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Majook is trying hard, but I can see his weaknesses, never mind at least United is trying something different and they seem sharper at this stage than the other night.

Reply #602018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL = No Body (can) Layup

Reply #602019 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Randle running his own isolation offence, when he hits them like this it is fun to watch...

Reply #602020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unstoppahandle

Reply #602022 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Welp, we've got a scoreboard. It's in Mandarin, but it's a scoreboard. :/

Reply #602024 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Who are these flogs running the fox broadcast.
Its almost unwatchable.

What makes it worse is that the "golden Oldie" game from the 90's ( 20 years ago) shown before this, using basically the one camera in full/half court view was sooo much easier to watch.

I'm getting 10 seconds of some random player walking to the bench on a sub then being high fived, then a replay , meanwhile there's full court pressure on the inbounds and 10 seconds of play that I'm not able to watch..

Not good

Reply #602027 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Crowd riding CG43 for flopping, seriously funny stuff, and the commentary is saying it is a hard call because you just never get a charge call if you don't fall!

I vote we start calling him Catch22, instead of CG43, any takers?

Reply #602028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just give me an 'aawight' if you agree coach...

Reply #602029 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

PS, UTD have worked out how to stop Randle, they are going to get him fouled out...

Reply #602030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very very physical game.

Reply #602031 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Where is Mitch Creek?

Reply #602033 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

goulding finally

Reply #602034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle is a gun

Reply #602035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randel with 3 fouls already. He's quick undoubtedly. But he's useless on the bench.

Reply #602036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goulding can score only score from layups. Still a rubbish shooter

Reply #602037 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Does Drmic ever actually make a shot?

Reply #602038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope

Reply #602039 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Creek injured, not helping the Sixer's at all in this game, they need him and can't seem to fill the void!

Reply #602040 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Why no Ferg? Better on D than drimic and at least has got a few buckets. At the game, can anyone shed light on creek injury? Hammy?

Reply #602042 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

The scoreboard at the court has had the live feed and adds all night?

They have not once put up any stats so everyone at the game has no idea how many points or fouls anyone has.

fFS we are watching the game live so don't need a live feed. Some stats would be handy.

Even at half time all we have is videos of players walking around. At least the volume is turned down so cant hear Carfino

Reply #602044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs not helping, put Teys at Point.. I know you all disagree.. We have no weight to deal with Wesley, Majok, Williams.. Did anyone see what went on with Creek

Reply #602045 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They were playing around with Creek's foot so toes or ankle injury

Reply #602046 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

At least you have the power on!

Then gophers are working up a huge sweat on the treadmill to keep the lights on, be happy with what you have I say!!

;)

Reply #602047 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...Them...

Reply #602048 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

^
It's starting to piss me off tbh. Show me some stats!

Reply #602049 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

No ice on his feet. Hopefully not Achilles, done that once.

Reply #602050 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Floppers United

Reply #602051 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Blanchfield flop call, great call, finally!

Reply #602052 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think this is going to be Adelaide's season in a nutshell... Moments of Randle brilliance, and a whole lot of ugly basketball.

Reply #602053 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think this is going to be Adelaide's season in a nutshell... Moments of Randle brilliance, and a whole lot of ugly basketball.

Reply #602054 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agree AngusH

Reply #602055 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Especially if Creek's injury is serious (which I have no idea if it is or not).

Reply #602056 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sobey, wow great steal, nice dunk, inspirational play......Until the flop!

That was funny!

Reply #602057 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Didn't look like such a flop in the replay, IMO.

Reply #602058 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

That shouldn't have been a technical. He may have sold it a bit, but plenty of contact on the play, unlike the Blanchfield one.

Reply #602059 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Randle has made at least 4 '3s' with his foot on the line tonight.

Reply #602061 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It's getting tight now, yes I don't know why Randle doesn't just shoot it behind the line, but Sobey is inspiring a semi-come back here...

Reply #602062 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, those 4 points would come in handy right about now.

Reply #602063 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

If he sold it a bit, then it's still a flop. The only way to get rid of that crap is to call them all the same way.

Reply #602064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can't see MU choking this away

Reply #602065 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Nice call on the sobey inspired comeback too!

Reply #602066 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sobey just had a rush of blood with that pull up three in transition, if the 6'ers can setlle then UTD could choke on it, who knows...

By the way, did Anderson just slip on a banana???

Reply #602067 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's looking at the ground like he stepped on a rock or something. You just tripped over your own feet mate.

Reply #602068 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It's over now, 23 seconds to go and seven points, can't see a miracle tonight, but the game was lost when Creek went down so Adelaide can take something from this game I guess...

Reply #602069 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm not quite Andersen's age, but at 35 I can confirm that sometimes your legs and feet don't do what you expect them to do.

Reply #602070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better without Randle and DJ no doubt about it. Why did joey just take if Deng and Jacobsen...????? They were on a run so leave it alone.. Coaches sometimes you just have to let them play it out...

Reply #602071 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ just not up to it

Reply #602072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches loss sorry.. The chemistry with Drmic and DJ is just not there.. Should have left it alone.. And only interchange Doyle. Should have recognised issuanwith Randle earlier

Reply #602073 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Creek didn't train today so is either ill or was carrying an injury

Reply #602076 | Report this post

Je  
Years ago

Goulding doesn't appear to have great footwork, and on a lot of his missed threes he appears a little flat-footed. Maybe he should try instituting the 'hop' into his shot: (courtesy of bballbreakdown)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOQZJHecng

Reply #602084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric and Anderson = Busted. Still happy to take the money.

Reply #602087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ -22. Majok + 11. Plus/minus is an imperfect stat, and small sample size, but DJ always shrinks in the moment. We have seen enough of him to know that. Not sure why Joey has so much faith in him.

Our second highest paid player plays no D, flops around looking for calls and is soft as butter. Only so much Randle and Mitch can do.

Reply #602090 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Poorly coached tonight. You have to play for the win, but at some stage you have to play finals basketball. Last 3 fouls was making us bleed, not closing the margin. Could have forced Melbourne to protect the win and go down by 5-7. Instead we are now 1-1 and are behind in the series.

Great inspiration and lift by Sobey. Needs to have a head check and his game would be valuable. EJ great hustle all game, those around the basket misses will reduce, but you can teach a desire for the ball, creek out was the difference because he woul,d have filled the little bits we were missing all night.

Reply #602094 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Can someone tell me why we did not try to run fergerson off some screens.

Reply #602095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Ferguaen needs more minutes. Better tonight with DJ/Randle benched. It's what they don't do and the defensive issues that puts a hole in the team.. More Teys as well as a mature leader on court to settle the youth in the clutch moments. Sobey got a little too excited and Teys at point would have settled the team.

Reply #602113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide were really bad tonight. Erratic, panicked and lacked any poise. Joey is out of his depth in some areas of coaching, and with such a young group, he will need to get some structure in place because these guys looked like they had never played together before. Drimic is a bust, Ferguson has no idea what he is meant to be doing, Randle is always a potential liability if its not dropping and DJ is not the guy from years gone. As for Jacobsen nothing special either. Long season ahead. Crowd were great though, really into it great atmosphere.

Reply #602120 | Report this post

Kramered  
Years ago

Unless Joey is under specific instructions to limit the minutes of our new imports, which is doubtful, what is the point of even having them. Its borderline embarrassing we have a talent such as Furguson warming the pine when he needs as many minutes as possible and Jacobson could be an absolute asset if utilised the way most big fellas are, but first they need court time and here's an idea, some actual offense. Not this running around in circles, hoping for the best fake arse, almost lazy rubbish they pass off as one, Its the same shit that found us out last season and it appears we continue with the status quo!!! A couple of player should also be on notice....NO D, YOU SIT!! Never happen though.....

Reply #602126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No 1 issue is we lack a pure PG with a calm head. Underestimate Gibbos value. Only see Doyle and Johns as PG's, rest are SG's or lack maturity, small 3's. We need some weight in the post and boxouts. Is BJ available. Release Drimic, just not cutting it and we have enough to cover what he can offer. Balance and chemistry is not quite there. Loved Jacobsen with Deng tonight. Unfortunately Joey pulled them when they were on a defensive roll and the momentum was lost. Why coaches feel they need to change it up when a group has chemistry at that moment and on a roll I'll never know. That last few minutes felt like Marty was back at the helm.. Just didn't want the win and it was there to take. Disappointed and a coaches loss.

Reply #602127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On another point. Shame on Melbourne and Demopolous. With that roster talent and experience they should have wiped the floor against a Creekless Sixers. I have to wonder if the first quarter interesting calls and inconsistency between refs and ends was to protect D's job. How he got away with barking face to face at the ref twice and not given a tech is beyond me.. Joey would have just approached them looking sideways and received a double in rapid fire and an eviction. Highly suspicious.

Reply #602128 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have you ever seen Joey Wright coach before?

Reply #602129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, every game. Your point

Reply #602130 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And you can sit there with a straight face and suggest that a) he doesn't have a go at the refs all that often and b) when he does,he's teched immediately?

Reply #602132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sobey had consistent minutes, not spurratic 1-2 min bursts, he could be a great energy guy. I read someone's comment saying if he has his 'head checked' he'd be good. I feel that, although that point holds some weight, any player that gets rotated in and out after small errors on a consistent basis, starts to overthink things. IMO, let him loose on the wings, attack the rim, get to the line, and stick J's! Can be a huge asset!

Dr-mic, doesn't seem to have the strength or athleticism to get his shot off properly, or even use the skills he has. He played tonight like he did all pre-season, and many people think he is not at the level. I feel he could be eventually at the level, but needed to be a DP, rather than a highly paid guy.

DJ started the game well, then went missing. I feel that with a distributing point guard import (that can score a bit too) he would shine again. JHR, overdribbles and freezes guys out, so that offten when the opportunity arises, guys don't look ready. Analitically, JHR takes some of the worst shots in basketball, long 2's over a hand without ball movement. This takes away a little something called momentum, not just because of makes or misses (that's important too), but because others start watching, and the energy level becomes low! I'd like an Adris Deleon type player for my money. With that, you could spend more on the 5man import!

They will be up and down all season, but will have patches of greatness. Mitch's return will be crucial!

Reply #602133 | Report this post

fatguy  
Years ago

one thing we are all missing here is how bad basic fundamentals were in this game!
6ers 68% from the ft line Melb 52%
and some of the turn overs (from both teams)
I understand this isnt the NBA but jeez guys practice a jump stop and a free throw every now and then

And onto DJ maybe he needs a change of scenery, dude should try again in Europe, he has played for the 6ers for 6 years now. Change might be a good thing for him

Jacobsen played well in the 4th stuffing stats! but in the 3rd he looked tired as, not getting over the half on some offensive breaks

Reply #602136 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Adelaide are really going to struggle in games where they are not up by a big margin late in the th, because they 4have a young team and Joey cannot coach.All he does is bitch and whine.

In Cairns, we have a mantra for Joey. "Shut up, Joey."" I don't think he appreciates the dedication it takes for us to gently repeat this mantra every time he bitches or whines to the refs that they won't turn the game his way (because he can't). He still gets a tech most times the 36ers play in Cairns, because he can't coach basketball.

Reply #602137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of not being able to coach, Cairns didn't retain Bruce and signed top knot, great choice!

Reply #602138 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Just be patient with Drmic. He's clearly just down on confidence and doesn't appear to have a clear role. He can play.

Adelaide isn't a great system for shooters. They don't move the ball or try to generate anything for guys like Drmic or Ferguson. There needs to be more screening and much better spacing for these two guys to be effective. I also think the paint is too crowded for the bigs to properly operate.

Defensively we CAN'T keep surrendering easy looks from range. Adelaide are seriously poor at the defensive end and it doesn't look like they've learnt much from previous seasons.

Did anyone who doubted EJ after five minutes notice his value last night? The hustle, rebounding and effort. You can easily notice the difference in the way he can defend the post without fouling and alter shots at the same time. It's great to finally have someone like that.

Reply #602139 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Agree with you Master Chief.
Drmic will prove himself. He showed leadership last night when our defence was
failing again. He was directing defence to try and cover the perimeter where we
are very weak.
It was also good to see him give DJ a spray when he showed lack of commitment
in getting into position to take a pass.
So sad to see DJ go missing at crucial times last night.
This very young group will get better with experience.
I expect the second half of the year to be better but hope the horse hasn't bolted.

Reply #602140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think drmic would be on pretty good dollars, otherwise would've gone to play in Croatia, it's ok to say give him time but at present hasn't shown anything so not certain how much time is required.

Reply #602141 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous, what do you mean by that ? He's signed for two years isn't he ?

What are they going to do if he continues to struggle a bit ? Release him ?

He just needs a go and something to get him going. i don't like Joey's rotations. Guys like Drmic need more than just aimless spurts off the bench. They need to try and give him some kind of role. Either way it's too early for anyone to doubt Drmic in the same way its too early for me to question if he's being properly used after just three games. Let's see how we go first.

I want too see more penetration and dish from Randle. I liked the way he found Deng in the final part of the game. Is the coaching properly harnessing his ability to create ? I like him as a more balanced playmaker as opposed to someone who is just instructed to pull up and get hot. We should have a better system for shooters with a guy like Randle coupled with TF, AD, and DJ spacing the floor.

Reply #602142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a thread asking if Goulding is negatively impacting United's offence.

I think there should be a new thread for whether Jerome Randle negatively impacts the Sixer offence. I think the guys are just expecting Randle to jack it up when the clock is anywhere in the single digits.

Randle is great don't get me wrong, but too often the ball isn't going to the open guys. Yes /Randle will give you 20+, but at what cost? Plus on defence he could not hold his own.

Reply #602143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd agree Joey isn't a very good coach. Adelaide have regressed every year he has been here. Without the already solidified talent he has issues with the fundamentals. Just calls sub after sub and stamps his foot like he is in a coach carter type movie. Sooner we have a new voice the better.

Reply #602144 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

#602138 - Cairns signed Weeks (probably on less money then what Brisbane offered Bruce).

Reply #602146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are apparently broke but the money I keep hearing some of these guys are on is astounding. Drimic especially for his out put.

Reply #602149 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I agree re the lack of ball movement and defense, and alot of this would have to be Joeys responsibility to fix.

Unfortunately these things are not the biggest strengths of Randle and DJ who are our big money players, so to cover this they have to score heavily, like 50 points between them for us to have much chance to win games, Randle also has to get around the 5 assist mark, so there is at least some ball movement, imo in his better games last season he moved the ball more

I think we need to use Randle as the Maher type SG and get a Darnell Mee type pg who defends and moves the ball, would give us more offensive flow imo.

I think Drmic can play, but how is he going to get any rhythm or score much when he gets zero offense run for him and only gets like 2 shots, he isnt selfish so doesnt force it, which is good, he competes hard imo, so im ok with him, i always wonder how good he would look in a offense similar to how Smyth used to use Darren Bg, i think we would think a lot more of him in that case.

Ferguson too, he would look even better with more ball movement, i personally think we should play him 30+ minutes a game, treat him like he is our chris goulding ie get him the ball and plenty of shots and see what he can do, he can flat out shoot, and seems to have a decent basketball iq and not a ball hog, so i think this would help us win more, not the other way round and be fun to watch the kid play.

Majok Deng needs to play too, see if we can develop him to the NBL's Garnett or something.

If we are not going to make the playoffs these things would make the season worth while and fun to watch imo.

Im not down on these guys as a result of the losses, its the lack of structure and utilizing some guys strengths that concerns me more.

If we had all the processes going well and could see the structure they were trying to achieve at both ends then id be fine with it win/lose, cos we have one of the youngest and cheapest rosters in the NBL, given the value and depth of Melbournes roster they should beat us, so not concerned by that, the lack of ball movement and obvious structures is a bit concerning imo, that is what i want joey to fix, and if these guys cant get it done, then he needs to recruit some different mold of players, ie a bigger bodied, pass first pg, a centre who is a big body, controls the paint at both ends, even if its a Jervis/Brandt type if the Ogilvy/Jawai types are not gettable. Given the money we are said to be paying Randle and DJ, i dont think it would have been completely impossible to sign someone like Ced Jackson and have a crack at someone like Ogilvy or Brandt or Jervis. As score first pg/c who are not strong and not good defenders dont typically win championships no matter how good at offense they are.

Only 3 games in, so things will likely get better, in 6 weeks they will look twice as good, but many of these issues are not new to the 36ers.

Reply #602150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if we asked ourselves at the start of the season if we were happy with being 1-1 against United, most would be happy with that.

Reply #602152 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Captain Jack- Thank you !

Reply #602154 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yep im happy with 1-1 v melbourne

the concerns i said have nothing to do with wins and losses for this season so far, just want to see some processes that we are building to grow the team moving forward.

Im not even anti DJ and Randle, but we do need to combine them with the right players and structures if we are going to build around them

Its no secret why Perth have been sooo good the past few decades

Have a team that plays defense, some strong big bodies up front who control the paint, guards that defend, a scorer or 2, and in recent years a dynamic versatile swingman who plays both ends and scores well.

Reply #602156 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Those attributes were also present during the successful Smyth days too.

Not coincidence imo.

Reply #602157 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Creek broken foot. Out six weeks

Reply #602158 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Damm thats a huge loss

Creek was shaping for a good season and to be our best player,

He was already our most important imo.

This should open up more minutes and shots for Deng, Drmic, Ferguson, please joey dont just play Teys and Sobey more.

Reply #602159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain Jack, I think it's clear that with minutes, Sobey can produce. Drmic had his chance last night too. He is simply not fast enough.

Reply #602161 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I dont trust Sobey as a pg for large minutes just yet,

I think he would be better as a sg along side a steady point guard

he is very athletic, can play, but very erratic

He makes some brilliant plays, but also some costly plays which cancel out or over come his brilliant plays

Drmic passed the ball off when not in a position to shoot, Sobey forced a few up, yes even some went in but overall some were not good shots

I see Teys, Sobey, Doyle as the 3 that should be playing the least, but given Teys is our best defender and a steady hand Joey needs to play him more, ie why i think we need a steady, pass first, defensive pg on the team, as close to Darnell Mee as possible,

Reply #602164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain Jack, each to their own, but your faith in Drmic is unfounded. Teys is solid and Drmic is not! It's as simple as that. Not sure where your getting the love for Drmic from based on current form. Sobey is a constant threat that is great in the 2, but can push to the one for some mins also. What erratic plays did he make last night? One play I thought he could have taken Ced Jackson to the basket instead of pull up, which would have brought the game to three, but other than that?

Drmic is not a great defender, not fast, not athletic, but can shoot....well, sometimes, but not in the last three months anyway.

Reply #602172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek broken foot? Joey just found his scapegoat... time to get some business based decisions made. 6 weeks without creek is the season gone. Someone has to be cut to make room for a decent replacement. Drimics 100k could come in handy

Reply #602173 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Its not so much over faith in Drmic, im not saying he will be a superstar, i just think the lack of ball movement, plays run for shooters, etc makes it hard for him to succeed, and im confident given his pedigree that he could fill atleast a Darren Ng type role if used correctly, like look at his junior/college career, you dont just forget to play, but if a shooter doesnt get shots he gonna look bad.

Yes the challenge is on Drmic to evolve and more round his game to contribute anyway, but yea would help if you got your shooters a couple of looks, i feel the same with Ferguson, they dont do a great job of getting him looks, but he is able to create more for himself with his atheticism and skill. It reminds me how Marty Clarke miss used guys like Howard, who was a very skilled offensive player and scorer, but he just stood him in the corner and made him a jump shooter, and wondered why he didnt succeed. Just like that situation im sure Joey could get more out of Ferguson and Drmic, and even Randle and DJ if the ball moved more fluently.,

I hope Drmic isnt on 100k tho, but i guess he could be, he had a strong junior and college career so may have had a few teams looking at him.

I agree Teys is rock solid and needs to play and Sobey is decent sg prospect and very athletic, a bit of a mini mitch creek/Goulding type, but i dont think he is a pg, which is something the team lacks, not really his fault

My frustration i guess is more with Joeys team selection and the way he using some of these guys than the players themselves.

Reply #602175 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is there a source for the Creek diagnosis/prognosis?

Reply #602176 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

If creek is gone can they put him on injury waivers or something of that ilk.

Reply #602203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way, with Creek potentially injured for a short time, they really lack size. Please don't say BJ Anthony short term, and please don't say Walker short term.

Reply #602214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom as predicted

Reply #602230 | Report this post

keyboard expert  
Years ago

Yep yep ya know it.

Reply #602231 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Mosquito fleet won't be getting it done this year.

Reply #602238 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Drmic is not on 100k a year, he'd be around the 60k mark along with Deng. Randle needs to be paired with another offensive creator like how Gibbo was last season. Ferguson definitely needs more minutes, Teys should not be playing starters minutes, for someone who has the ball that much should actually do something with it, Sobey should start ahead of him IMO. Getting as much time into Majok Deng as well so he can eventually replace DJ will be very important for our future.

Reply #602243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ the word in the Croatian community is he's on $110g.

Reply #602246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom he is on much $100kish, $60k you wish and yes that would be more appropriate.

Reply #602248 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't know the figure but I dare say he would be on more than $60K as it was considered a real coup to lure him over here.

Reply #602252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep what zodiac said. It's a high number for a non performer. This missed free throws were brutal on the eye.

Reply #602263 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Creek on instagram says he could be 6-8 weeks out

Reply #602266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum salary would suit him just fine until he performs

Reply #602270 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

With Creek out it really is make or break time for Johnson in my opinion. The guy is the senior local player and so needs to step up and take a major leadership role. If not he's bench material and cut at the end of the season [probably can't do it mid season, sadly] in my opinion.

I hope he comes through - grows up and accepts the responsibility he must assume if the team is to be competitive, but I'm not holding my breath.

The guy presents as physically and mentally weak. Really looks to me like he needs to be doing a lot of really focused skills work and tough 1-on-1 stuff to toughen him up [big challenge!] and improve his shooting technique, particularly inside, where he seems to almost invariably lose possession; probably because he seems more interested in dropping the ball and throwing his hands in the air with the aim of drawing a foul [which seldom happens] than completing the shot.

Not sure if the problem is with his hands or his head - perhaps both - but quite apart from his propensity for simply dropping the ball, there are some noticeable technique issues with his close-in shooting - wrist action and point of release are obvious starting points - which I would hope the coaches would be able to address. The mental stuff, which is possibly the real issue - is obviously much harder to deal with.

All that said - Creek's enforced absence leaves a big leadership gap that needs to be filled. There is also a scoring need but the leadership is more important,in my opinion. This unfortunate situation presents a significant opportunity for Johnson to step up and lead as well as perform, if he's up to it.

Reply #602314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crowd no.?

Reply #602599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754