Advertising spot currently available.
Minimum three month period (1.5+ million page views, 92% Australian).
Email [email protected] for rates and options.

Dunk Basketball Uniforms

AD: Office space available in Adelaide CBD @ 313 Halifax St;
Suit creatives; freelance desks or space for 2-4 person business. More info

Dazz
Last year

Perth's Offense (+ Rotations and Matchups)

Obviously we need Knight back (like a Crackhead needs his next fix) but what I have seen so far has me worried.
Mckay is an exciting talent to be sure, but clearly can't play the role of Centre in this league. Especially against the likes of Pledger. His athleticism doesn't make up for (what is now) almost below average height, and his stick-insect physique.

Which bring me to my next point. Trev loves his rotations, but I sometimes wonder if he is watching the same game?
You know NZ will start big, with Pledger in the paint. Perth eventually seemed to figure out that we were better with Brandt out there to match up.
Then seemed to forget it again, leaving him on the floor without Pledger and vice versa.

At one point we had a 100% defensive rotation going, and for large parts of the game had only two offensive weapons on the floor (one of whom was having a stinker.)

WTF is the point of having two gun import wing-men, if you can't play both together?
Prather is in all-star touch, and JJ has shown he's a match-winner, and probably on the whole better from range.
But if we can't run them both to their full potential, then what's the point?
Kenny has been a great pickup for the Cats, and remains IMHO a greatly underappreciated player.
He's the perfect backup for Damo, but gees I hate seeing them play so many minutes together. You're basically running two defensive PGs, who both hate to shoot.

Perth (in its current generation) will always tend towards lower scores and better D, and admittedly we're only 3 games in, but its got me worried.

Report this topic

Watto
Last year
01:21 15 Oct 16

Reply #602123

re: Perth's Offense (+ Rotations and Matchups)

I was surprised at the lack of plays being run for Johnson. How many back screens did Beal get that led to open threes? Would like to see the same for Johnson

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
01:27 15 Oct 16

Reply #602125

'He's the perfect backup for Damo, but gees I hate seeing them play so many minutes together. You're basically running two defensive PGs, who both hate to shoot.'

Brad Robbins commented on how underrated Kenny's shooting is and wish he would shoot more. That three he hit from the corner he did not hesitate and it was all net. Kenny is very good from the corner and needs to take more of them.

Report this post

ROFLcopter
Last year
15:20 15 Oct 16

Reply #602148

Kenny is a bum.

Perth appear to be down on class and cohesion. The latter will come with time but the other won't until some peronnel change.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
15:45 15 Oct 16

Reply #602151

front court will look a lot more solid once matty knight returns but I think the jury is still out on the wing spots. kenny is fine as a backup for martin.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:52 15 Oct 16

Reply #602181

Can we put dazz on the floor to coach the cats for a game so we can knock him down a peg or two

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
20:56 15 Oct 16

Reply #602197

Can we put dazz on the floor to coach the cats for a game so we can knock him down a peg or two

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
21:07 15 Oct 16

Reply #602200

He'd be more popular than Gleeson.

Report this post

ROFLcopter
Last year
23:27 15 Oct 16

Reply #602227

Gleeson is a flog.

Dazz is excused only because he isn't being paid!

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
00:13 16 Oct 16

Reply #602229

So where do u coach Dazz?

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
12:26 16 Oct 16

Reply #602249

Dazz coaches on NBA 2k and he is really good guys. His mum told me so

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
22:43 16 Oct 16

Reply #602498

Are posters here just discouraging independent thought? I think the point is to discuss basketball. I can't see any reason not to analyse Gleeson's approach, which didn't seem to be match up focused.

I'm also not convinced that players need to sub so often in a 40 minute game, in a short season, with plenty of down time. Former NBL players have made the same comments.

Report this post

proud
Last year
23:47 16 Oct 16

Reply #602515

Wagstaff worries me, I'm unsure what he's been told of his role in this offence but vs Cairns 1/10 from three point range is nonsensical, who's decision is it that we have him shooting that frequently if they are all short, if he is shooting 10 3's a game then we won't be competitive in this current competition.

Redhage should have retired last season 100%.

I like the point above about Brandt being on against the monsters and Mackay against the athletes.

I feel the Wildcats are so much less talented this year and it's fun cheering on the underdog but without cohesion, this will be a infamous squad for missing playoffs, they simply don't tick enough boxes and we aren't fast tracking Kernich Drew quick enough, that kid needs confidence

Report this post

overloaded
Last year
11:50 17 Oct 16

Reply #602566

Agree on redhage. He is cooked

Report this post

Dazz
Last year
21:29 17 Oct 16

Reply #602667

Just to be clear, I wasn't pretending I could do a better job, just trying to draw attention to what I perceived as issues with the Cats current line-up.

Part of that, we know will change when Knight comes back.

And as for the other, well will you look at that. 3.5 days after I post saying that having JJ is pointless if we can't run him and Prather together and instead need to run Kenny, the Cats come out and announce the exact same thing.

Report this post

Dazz
Last year
21:35 17 Oct 16

Reply #602670

Wagstaff worries me, I'm unsure what he's been told of his role in this offence but vs Cairns 1/10 from three point range is nonsensical, who's decision is it that we have him shooting that frequently if they are all short, if he is shooting 10 3's a game then we won't be competitive in this current competition.

Redhage should have retired last season 100%.

I don't mind having Redhage around. Assuming the Cats stuck to the "bench cap" imposed on the last 5 players, having Shawn presumably play for peanuts in his last season is not a bad idea.

But I'm with you on Wagstaff. We were just lucky he had a good night on Friday, but in this year's league he's not a starter, and I wonder if he's still "6th man" material?

Report this post

Luuuc
Last year
22:02 17 Oct 16

Reply #602674

Wagstaff kept us in it in the first half the other night IMO. Played an aggressive mix of inside-outside.
It's up to players to identify opportunities for themselves depending on what their strengths are and how they're being defended, and Jesse did a nice job of it.

And if he is left open on the perimeter 10 times in a game then I'm fine with him putting up 10 attempts. One off night doesn't negate a career of being a solid outside shooter.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
23:04 17 Oct 16

Reply #602684

Yeah the Wagstaff criticism is unwarranted IMO.

He hit 7/10 in a pre season game and is a pretty reliable threat from three on the whole.

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Deimos 23

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Liam Flynn - basketball coaching and consulting

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:17 pm, Thu 25 May 2017 | Posts: 655,271 | Last 7 days: 693