Wilson Sting
Years ago

Penalty for technical foul

Does anyone else think the penalty for a technical foul is not particularly fair?

If the team not in possession tech fouls the team with possession, then the team with possession basically just get one free throw, as they had the ball anyway.

If the team in possession tech fouls the team without possession, then that team gets the free throw + possession.

I would think a fairer penalty would be two free throws but possession just stays the same? Or, if you are the team in possession you get 2 freethrows, if you are not in possession you get one + the ball?

Topic #40087 | Report this topic

team with possession gets ball back after 1 shot

Reply #602504 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wilson, your post was prophetic after the Umps screwed up a flopping tech against the Sixers hours later.

See a flop, let play continue to allow the team to score, count the basket, award the tech, give a free throw and possession - wow, that's harsh, particularly for a subjective decision where there often is a fair bit of contact.

For flopping, it should be wait until next break in play, award the tech and single free throw, possession reverts to the team that would have had it anyway.

Reply #602532 | Report this post

miracle.touch  
Years ago

I assume you're referring to the tech on McCarron after the Powell/ Worthington argy-bargy?

My understanding is that the refs followed the correct course of action. However (and I'm the first to admit I don't know the full rules in regards to this), calling a tech for what McCarron did seems like a massive over-reaction.

Reply #602652 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think given the circumstances in which most Techs are called, the rule is fine.

Possession must go to the opposition, otherwise the dying minutes of a close game would become an absolute debacle, with teams deliberately trying to incur a tech-foul.

That it results effectively in a turnover if you foul whilst in possession, well that the nature of a foul. If a player drives to basket and "scores" only to have it waived because of an offensive foul, that's obviously a much bigger effective penalty than fouling an opponent to prevent a certain score.

I do however agree that the issue of calling a tech on a flop needs to be examined, especially with regard to the timing.

Reply #602673 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

miracle I wasn't referring to any specific incidents, just more of an observation over recent years. It's not so much that a free throw and possession is a bad thing, it's just that if you already have the ball, then all you get is one free throw. So a technical foul is actually less punishment than a standard foul.

Reply #602911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754