Freethrows
Years ago

Salary cap rules

The NBL instituted quite a few ''rules'' regarding the new, soft salary cap, prior to the commencement of this season. Has anyone seen hide or hair of implementation of any of these?

1. Teams are to publish the salaries of all players. This is intrinsic to a few of the following rules.

2. If teams spend above the soft cap, ''taxes'' are to be levied, according to how far over they spend.

3. The combined salaries of any 5 players on each team is not to exceed $400,000.

4. Each team must spend at least 90% of the soft cap on player salaries.

5. Each team must have 11 players on their full time roster.

The reason I bring this up is that I haven't seen any evidence of the NBL following through on any of this. It's also worth noting that no system in place for distributing any of the ''tax'' monies raised. Similarly, there are no penalties prescribed for any teams that don't abide by the 3rd item I listed, or the 4th, either.

I'd hate to see a team penalized for not spending to the cap. That would seem inherently stupid. On the other hand, I'd be very interested to know which 5 of Melbourne's roster, and likewise which of the (only 10 full-time) Sydney players' salaries are 400K or less.

What is the plan for sharing the OTC (Over The Cap) tax money, if there is any? I can posit any of a number of ways of doing it, but why haven't the NBL told anyone the plan? My bet is they don't have one.

Topic #40105 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a system in place last year for distribution of over the cap money due to the marquee rule. Any clubs spending under the cap got a percentage. They might be using the same system, don't know.

If Melbourne are paying Odigie ($40), Williams ($80K), Majok ($85K), Tomlinson ($90K) and Barlow ($100K) as an example they would fit the $400K rule. Just guesses but not unreasonable.

Reply #602982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is policing the salary cap?

Reply #602984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same people that did last time.

In reference to the $400,000 that is in regard to it being spent amongst the bottom 5 players AFAIK.

Reply #602990 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Freethrows - #3 in your list is not quite right. There must be 5 players whose combined salaries must not exceed $400,000. i.e., the lowest paid 5 players can't get more than $400,000, collectively.

Also, it was never clear if it was the actual salaries that would be used to police all of these rules, or the deemed market values of each player, as determined by some committee NBL was going to convene. IIRC, it was those market values that were going to be published, not the actual salaries.

Nonetheless, your point stands. AFAIK, there's been neither announcements nor press releases to suggest the committee ever was convened nor publicatino of players' market values, as promised.

For those interested, you can probably find the original press release on the new rules in the NBL news archive. It was released on 30 March 2016.

Reply #602993 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

PeterJohn, you're correct in the assumption that it's the bottom five players that count toward 400K max of a team's salary cap. The NBL actually wrote it "any five players", as I did in my previous post. It was very badly worded and organised. It was also not clear whether it was actual or deemed market value that would be used.

I remember being bemused by the lack of clarity at the time, and I now think the whole thing is a farce and won't be acted upon at all. I don't think Kestelman has any desire for parity in the league.

Reply #603001 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sydney 3 rounds in and still without a full roster

Reply #603004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bottom 5 players earning $400,000 between is the stupidest idea ever invented.

Reply #603016 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

"Sydney 3 rounds in and still without a full roster"

Yet how many try & bitch about our salary?? lmao....

Reply #603019 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Freethrows - I wouldn't say 'farce', more a smokescreen to get more imports into the league and bring back some high-profile Australians from overseas. That worked.

I don;t know if Kestleman cares about parity. I think he just wants a product he can sell to the public and so to the media and so make some money. If the makes lots of money, all teams and owners get to share the spoils. A side effect might be parity of opportunity for success.

So far, things are going well. Pre-season interest was high and positive, crowds are big and the games themselves have been terrific. Kestleman may be right. It'd be nice if he is.

Reply #603029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman owns 2 teams now of course.

Reply #603052 | Report this post

will  
Years ago

the NBL has a base salary that they give each player. the base salaries of a club mustnt exceed the cap.So for example Bairstow could be deemed to be a 200K player.In that case only the amount that the NBL deems(200k) counts against the cap. In reality the club can pay That player way more. So some teams have players that count 150-200K against the cap but are actaully getting paid double that.

Its kinda like the old point system. As long as the NBA deemed value of a player fits inside the cap then what they actually get paid can be different. There are some guys on 2-3 times there deemed value.

Reply #603075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but seeing the NBA has nothing to do with it, the NBL can't and will never be able to enforce that cap. That was the whole point of the Points Cap.

Reply #603082 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's incorrect, will. The higher of the two numbers is what counts against the cap.

Reply #603089 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

The Mock would LOVE a geek at what salaries these boys are making, but wheree is this information to be found?

Reply #603090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God I hate people who talk about themselves in the third person

Reply #603092 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

What about COWARDS who hide in anonymity hey?

Reply #603096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulez actually you are incorrect.Will is correct. It is how it works. I know a number of players that exact scenario exists for.

Reply #603099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Will is correct. The $$ value given by the league replaces the points value given by the league in seasons past.

Reply #603115 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I read an article a while ago explaining the whole thing, which said the number that counted against the cap would be either the value assessed by the league, or the amount actually earned, whichever is higher.

Which makes sense. You can't get around the cap by underpaying players (or paying them under the table), but you also can't overspend on guys to lure them away from teams with less money available.

Reply #603125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paying the bottom 5 benchies effectively $400k is dumb.
Chumps on the bench, training bait will earn twice what they got previously.

Reply #603130 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Thanks, KR. Do you have a link to the article you read?

Does anyone know how I can contact the NBL's head office for a quote?

Reply #603139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754