Anonymous
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke on bench for national anthem

Noticed Rotnei Clarke didn't join his team for the national anthem, sat on the bench instead. Interested to know why...

Topic #40125 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Americans don't seem to like standing for national anthems at the moment.

Reply #603553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For good reason too.

Not saying that Rotnei was protesting anything though.

Reply #603563 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I didn't think we did the national anthem anymore at NBL games except for finals?

Maybe the NBL could pull a stunt and have some Aussie NBL players sit out, get some free publicity....On second thought I don't think anyone in Australia would care

Reply #603568 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Yep, national anthem is performed before every game. I think when the NBL stopped, Perth just continued on with it. They usually honour a member of the defence force as part of the performance.

Reply #603582 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I went to the GF game 2 last season expecting to hear the NZ national anthem before the game but was surprised that they didn't sing it. But then again they didn't do any pre game entertainment at all so maybe that's the norm for over there.

Reply #603586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does not matter what countries national anthem is played of your attending that event or part of it you stand....it's a little thing called manners.....which seems to be gradually disappearing from so many egotistical idiots

They play it before SEABL and WNBL why the hell not NBL....

Reply #603750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably deemed to be unnecessary unless it's an international game. I think it's irrelevant otherwise and probably scrubbed to streamline game night schedules.

Reply #603752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does not matter what countries national anthem is played of your attending that event or part of it you stand....it's a little thing called manners.....which seems to be gradually disappearing from so many egotistical idiots"

Was that in reference to the NFL protesters and the like of recent weeks?

Reply #603755 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'd hope that it was in reference to society in general, as while the NFL protesters have a legitimate beef, I haven't seen anything of the like in Australia...

Was Clarke getting treatment or something? Doesn't strike me as the type of guy to dis another countries national anthem...

For reference though, it's played at every Kings home game, I like it... To each their own though...

Reply #603757 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This question is interesting from different view points, however not knowing the reason why an American would not stand for our anthem and not knowing anything specific in relation to this player I would like to at least bring forward some opinions on the issue.

Not that there may be a big issue unless we make one, but there are some facts and ideas about this.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/rotnei-clarke-back/

Rotnei, according to this interview at least, appears to be religious and lets face it many Americans are behold to their Godly values.

That said, it may be presumptuous of me to then suggest he is patriotic as well, I believe he would most likely display patriotism to his country and his flag like many college players over in the USA are.

Having made this presumption and the fact he played college ball at Arkansas and Butler, I think it is highly likely he would stand for the American anthem and expect all of his team mates (international or not) to do the same.

So, for him not to do so here makes me think he either just forgot, or he had some other issue on the night.

The real question would be, has he done it before or is this just a one off?

Something I think his team mates could ask of him, if they are patriotic Aussies and if it expected that they stand for the anthem by the club/NBL that is...?

Reply #603758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would hope that Anonymous above isn't saying the current protests are "bad manners" while completely ignoring the reasons for said protests.

Reply #603761 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

The current protests are ridiculous.

Its simply Colin Kapernick trying to stay relevant because he's a hopeless QB & unfortunately other peanuts have fallen for the caper.

Either way, the protest carries no weight/relevance out here - so to think that someone might start taking offense or feel the need to protest OUR Australian anthem, is pretty poor form

Reply #603766 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm curious about why he didn't, if only there was some way to ask without making a big thing about it..

Obviously, when there's an anthem played - no matter which nation- you stand and be silent unless you feel like singing it, then you sing it.

**If** (being the purely speculative without basis word) he sat out because he's American, that's kind of a crappy move. I don't think Australians really care or feel personally offended - I know I don't, but still it would still be a crappy move.

They usually honour a member of the defence force as part of the performance.

Obviously have massive respect and support for defence force/military, just like firies, police, doctors etc. but i'm not a fan of this common place focus or tie in with anthems/flag ceremonies and the military. It's unnecessary and to be honest goes against the Australian grain of anti-special treatment.

Reply #603769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is the aussie national anthem even being played before nbl games? I don't think foreign players have any obligation to stand for our anthem anyway. Heck I don't think aussies do either. I'm there to watch a game not prove my level of patriotism to the invaders of yesteryear.

Reply #603770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The current protests are ridiculous.

Its simply Colin Kapernick trying to stay relevant because he's a hopeless QB & unfortunately other peanuts have fallen for the caper."

Congratulation on being the first racist idiot!

Reply #603771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does this even matter? maybe he had sore feet.

Reply #603772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It IS bad manners ........you do not use another countries national anthem or even your own to protest what YOU personally have a beef with, it's disrespectful to all those who came before you, who fought to make YOUR life possible, regardless of which country the national anthem is representing, if you are IN that country you dam well stand up. I'm not Australian but I would never NOT stand when the national Anthem is being played
I was raised to have respect, what sort of example does it set.
Only reason anyone should not be standing for any national anthem is if they are physically unable to do so.
Any physio doing treatment ( if that's the excuse) needs to ensure its not done at that time or stop.
If they are that much in need of physio therapy that they cannot stand then frankly they should not be at the game.
If it was his ploy to bring his crap from overseas here then perhaps he should take it back to where the crap belongs....it does not belong on a basketball court or any sporting field for that matter and especially not an Aussie one.

"Manners make a man" not some over inflated ego that thinks they have the right to disrespect a national anthem

Reply #603773 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think there are some overreactions starting to pop up (for a change!) but I think we can agree that it's good manners and usual behaviour for all players (and fans) when able, to stand for any national anthem...

It's not like this is Rotnei's first game, he's been here before and seems like a decent guy, if not a bit of a bible basher (to each their own, not to my taste though) but in line with other assumptions, I'd make the one that considering his nationality and obvious religious beliefs, it would be his default to stand for an anthem, no matter which country...

Has anyone seen him not stand before? I'll be keeping an eye on it tonight just out of curiosity more than an offense taken...

As for the sports people not standing for the anthem in the U.S. being ridiculous, and at the risk of keeping this political when it shouldn't be, that takes the ignorant fuckwit cake... I'm speechless that even someone with half a brain would suggest that with everything going on in the States, and the actual history of the anthem, could just dismiss it so easily as an attention grab... ugh...

Reply #603777 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^

Reply #603779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"who fought to make YOUR life possible"

Yes, the people that fought and died for an individuals freedom, like the right to protest when you don't believe in something or you want to speak out against injustices.

People didn't "die for the flag" so other people could dictate to everyone else that they should sit down and be quiet for the rest of their lives.

Reply #603783 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

^^^ = Best anon post for a LONG time...

Reply #603793 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If, as appears to be the case, not all other teams do it, it may have caught him off guard, and he thought it would look worse to run out onto the court in the middle of it.

Maybe he was getting treatment.

Maybe he had been down to the rooms and was late coming back out.

Who knows.

Don't get me wrong, I will be amongst the first to condemn him if it comes out he was deliberately disrespecting or protesting, but until their is at least some proof of that, I'm not too worried.

Reply #603797 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Met the guy when he was out here last and he was a very humble and respectful guy, calling people "Sir" etc. I'd be very surprised if there was anything sinister. Just don't see him as the type to be militant against anything, let alone the Aussie anthem. What reason would he have for it anyway?

Reply #603799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"who fought to make YOUR life possible"

Yes, the people that fought and died for an individuals freedom, like the right to protest when you don't believe in something or you want to speak out against injustices.

People didn't "die for the flag" so other people could dictate to everyone else that they should sit down and be quiet for the rest of their lives.

mate do you even know what an national anthem actually represents....with an answer like that obviously you dont.

A national anthem is used to not only show respect and loyalty to the country who's anthem is being played , but also as a respect to those who gave their lives so you can have your way of life, and by the way the flag is a symbol of the country just like the national anthem and as such represents the country.
Its does not mean you have any right what so ever to disrespect it, its nothing at all to do with your so called democratic right to freedom of speech, because without sacrifices from those who came before you, you probably wouldn"t even freedom of speech. Time your parents taught you some god dam manners.
Hopefully this was an oversight on his part, but if it wasn't then his backside should rightly be kicked out the door.

Reply #603805 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

So these people fought and died for my freedom to do as I'm told? Gotcha.

Reply #603806 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/veterans-support-colin-kaepernick-2016-8

One of many articles showing that veterans support anyone's right to protest. But you keep using the anthem to tell people to get back in their place, if you think thats what its all about.

Reply #603807 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who knows why Clarke was sitting?

Until he does it again or makes a point of making his views known, let's not assume what the particular reasons or motives were in this case.

Reply #603808 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Just realised how hard it is to watch two or more anons argue..

Brain reached 99% CPU Usage.. had to reset.

Reply #603810 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the best thing we can do until we learn more about the situation is make some assumptions, jump to some conclusions, and blow shit out of proportion. Bonus points for anyone who can uphold Godwin's law.

Reply #603813 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's an American-style slap down right there.

I'm definitely with Wookie, Duke, #603783 etc on this one.
It's interesting how loaded a discussion can become when politics or an anthem is involved.

Without getting too tangled in it...

Time your parents taught you some god dam [sic] manners

What you believe to be "manners" is perhaps different to other people, or maybe even mainstream Australia. Australians are fairly different to the US - for example - when it comes to manners and social convention associated with patriotism.

For instance, in Australia, pushing your own way of life or view of life upon others is traditionally considered rude.

who gave their lives so you can have your way of life.....
Its does not mean you have any right what so ever to disrespect it

See that's a contradiction, you're pushing the argument of

'people gave their lives so you can live your own way of life, but how dare you live your own way of life if it conflicts with how I expect you to live your way of life'

does not mean you have any right what so ever to disrespect it

Whether it's kosher or not, that's actually exactly the right people have. Might not be popular, but they have the right.

probably wouldn't even freedom of speech

We don't have an absolute freedom of speech so it's not a pertinent point. The only (implied) constitutional protection is freedom of political speech. You can't go around blackmailing, threatening, racially vilifying or defaming people.

Reply #603815 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Luuuc, one word: Trump

:)

Reply #603816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wozza lol
so if you want to take it literally your 'percieved' freedom...then basically anyone can do what the hell they want...stuff the consequences because hey thats your right! ..right? ...so if you want to walk up and smack someone in the head... thats also OK is it? ...of course not...just because you can does not mean you should.

this guy could have a legit reason for not standing...who knows, but the fact people think its OK to be that rude...wow...and people wonder why the worlds going to crap .

Reply #603821 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

You Can't Stop The Rot from doing what he wants..

Reply #603824 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Excellent analogy above with the smacking in the head thing.
It's a slippery slope, people. If we're saying that it's acceptable to sit down while some music is playing then we're basically saying it's ok to kill people.
And people wonder why there is so much murder.

Reply #603825 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Ten years ago SA ABL matches used to play the national anthem before the games and I didn't stand either. Ten people in the audience standing before a game is over the top forced patriotism and the ridiculousness of it seemed to lose the significance of why we stand in the first place. So I sat and allowed the odd person to give me a sideways glance.

National games where our country is being represented I certainly understand. In those occasions I stand because I am happy to be part of a country that is a liberal-democratic nation state. I think of our best qualities such as our multi-cultural fabric and laid back lifestyle. But regular season NBL games? Pfft. It's a night of entertainment. When you go the cinemas no national anthem plays there and neither should it be used before sporting events outside of representing your country.

Reply #603826 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"so if you want to walk up and smack someone in the head... thats also OK is it? ...of course not...just because you can does not mean you should."

Doing that is against the law, so no, that is not ok.

Protesting something is not against the law, because the people who "died for the flag" died for our freedom to protest things.

Reply #603829 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

then basically anyone can do what the hell they want

No, there are laws which set out rights and obligations.

so if you want to walk up and smack someone in the head... thats also OK is it?

No, that's called assault in criminal law and battery in tort law.

Evidently you don't have the right to attack someone, and as it turns out, that interferes with another person's right to not be physically attacked.

I don't think someone sitting out an anthem interferes with another person.

This seems like one of those classic scenarios of 'I feel oppressed that people won't let me oppress others, and I am outraged!'

Reply #603831 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm sure he'll one day in retirement go through Rotnei Clarke related things online and come across this thread and have a good laugh and say wtf.. along with this one:

http://fr.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rotnei+Clarke

Reply #603833 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Betty: Did you see Rotnei Clarke score 51 points against Alcorn State last week?
Stacey: Yes! He set the SEC record for most 3-pointers in a game!
Julie: Yeah, and he's good in bed!

hahahaha

Reply #603837 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Hahahhaha that hillarious !!

Reply #603838 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

ROFL... God bless the internets, ey?

I think once we got to an anon rationalising that smacking someone in the head is the same as protesting about injustices, it took the final turn towards madness...

So, an update, because I'm sure everyone is keen, Rotnei DID stand up for the anthem last night, which was a huge relief, but also the mystery surrounds as to WHY he didn't the game before?! Maybe he IS a huge knob... I wouldn't think it possible, but he went after Tommy as he lay on the court after getting taken out by Coenraad, so maybe there's more to this god-fearing ex-mvp than we thought?

Reply #604009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754