LV
Years ago

Kings vs Hawks 24/10

Hawks are due. Rotnei might drop a few bombs.

Kings have been impressive but vulnerable due to a lack a guard depth at the minute. Last game was a cracking finish, Bevo will have made an adjustment or two. Hawks D and physicality was strong on Friday vs Perth but just weren't executing well enough on offense. Speaking of Bevo, is he coaching?

Hawks by 3 or less

Topic #40132 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Re last game I was referring to Hawks Kings 1 in the Gong. Very close finish.

Ogilvy hasnt been making enough impact scoring wise so he's another to watch tonight.

Reply #603740 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Forget about Rotnei being due, what about that old war horse Oskar Forman?

Jason Cadee having a great season and will be tested tonight. Gee, Kings have got out early and offer a bit more across most matchups.

While the Hawks are everyone's second team, even those from Wollongong, I think they might be unlucky tonight in what will be a great game.

Reply #603741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Blake in for tonight?

Reply #603742 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Kings have been impressive but vulnerable due to a lack a guard depth at the minute."

ie: No. Blake is not in.

Reply #603743 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

LV, yourv tipping the Hawks? What happened to " Sydney then daylight " :P

Reply #603744 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm predicting it'll be Sydney then daylight by season's end, and that they might end up finishing a couple of games clear or more on the ladder. Not suggesting they will win every game!

Reply #603746 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(And again that assumes everyone is healthy including Blake and Khazzouh by season's end. And that other teams- especially the other ones who could go close like perth and Melb- don't make personnel changes. But we all know that's quite possibly not going to be the case. Already rumoured that our goggled friend Devin could be packing his bags soon).

Reply #603747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney by 14

Reply #603748 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Already rumoured that our goggled friend Devin could be packing his bags soon"

Hope someone helps him on to the plane....he might miss the door

Reply #603753 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As usual, very concerned about this game as a Kings fan... I can't remember the last time we had won consecutive games, so expecting it to all come crashing down, and usually Hawks are the ones to do it... Fingers crossed their outside shots keep not dropping as that will be a huge factor...

I hope a decent crowd makes it out on a school night tonight, with Cirque du Soleil performing at half time, it should be a huge improvement to the usual wannabe rappers that we got last season...

Reply #603768 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Sounds like the halftime entertainment will be better than the baby race where most of the lazy farkers didn't get off the start line. That gave everyone a good chuckle.

Reply #603775 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hawks going to be playing with some fire I would imagine after a disappointing couple of games. Definitely a danger game for Sydney.

Reply #603785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks $2.5 and Kings $1.54

Reply #603786 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

The Hawks were hardly disappointing in Perth. They played a pretty good game I thought and had a chance to win after being down by7 17 in the 3rd.

Reply #603791 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Reply #603792 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I thought the Hawks looked real average in Perth to be honest, and if not for Kev White of all people having a career night that game ends up a blowout.

Reply #603794 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I think the key is AJ. He's always been a bit of a nancy boy and up against a couple of physical types in Maric & Powell he could go missing. If he can stand up it could be a close one

Reply #603796 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Hawks by 10, as Kings lacking back up gaurds.

Reply #603809 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A brave punter could do quite well out of the NBL this season, I expect plenty of upsets, however in this one I think at home the Kings could prove too strong and hang on for a tight win...

Reply #603811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As usual, very concerned about this game as a Kings fan... I can't remember the last time we had won consecutive games"

Ummm...the Kings are 3-1

Reply #603814 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^that was my first thought too, anon

Reply #603818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting a small bet on Hawks by 11+ at $8 with crownbet, seems a bit overs. Most other bookies have it around the $6-7 mark

Reply #603819 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Can't see this being close. Sydney look one of the best defensive units in the league and the Hawks give up too many points to foot it. David and Goliath for mine. Sydney would have to have a nightmare.

Reply #603823 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Holy shit!! How hot is the fox sideline reporter!!!!

Reply #603839 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

White and Ellis starting.....are the hawks playing for draft picks already?

Reply #603840 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Pretty sure Rosen was thinking of Steve Nash

Reply #603841 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Rosen just spews crap he can't control himself. Blake a former Lakers MVP? Not even Nash was an MVP for the Lakers.

Reply #603842 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Rosen just said sorry he didn't mean MVP he meant Blake was a former championship winner with the Lakers.

Blake's never won an NBA championship.

Reply #603843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd looks pretty dismal

Reply #603844 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

It's Monday night.. The nrl team roosters would get 4-5k on a Monday night

Reply #603845 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Games been good so far. High scoring and refs are calling a good game

Reply #603846 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Horrendous crowd. Wowee

Not a good look for the game.

Reply #603847 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Spot on call lawsy. Abby Gelmi a lot better to look at than Rose, Cadee looked a bit uncomfortable interviewed by her at half time.

Kings look like they're playing a bit half arsed and still up by 8 at half. Ridiculously stacked and Steve Blake still to arrive jeez.

Reply #603848 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yesterday I predicted that it would soon become Sydney and then daylight.

I was wrong. It is already Sydney then daylight.

Reply #603849 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol @ anon betting against the Kings.

Amateur hour

Reply #603850 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

And I thought Perths offence sucked. Hawks are horrible.

Reply #603851 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They've got two #1 options in Clarke & Harris. Clarke was very effective here last time as the clear #1 offensive option they need to sort that out.

Reply #603852 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

It's no fluke, the amount of turnovers Sydney have been forcing lately

Reply #603853 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Terrible 3rd quarter by the Hawks but I don't think that was due to bad passing by them. Out of that 11 turnovers at least 7-8 were Kings players able to read their plays and anticipate who they're passing to. Wonder how much contribution Lisch had to figuring out the plays Bevo running and relaying that to the coaches defensive plans.

Reply #603854 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Rosen is the biggest flog, worst NBL commentator IMO

Reply #603855 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

SteveK2, they did it in NZ too

Reply #603856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people forget how much money kings are spending. Upwards of 2m for that team where Hawks don't even go past the 1m mark. People talking about how good Gaze is when let's be honest blind freddy could coach this team to a win.
Will be an interesting comp when salary cap is policed as the league can't sustain this.

Reply #603857 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

How'd you get $2m?

Quick list will suffice.

Reply #603858 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Will kings seriously lose another game? Get use to seeing these kind of scores, man this is team is just stacked!!

Reply #603859 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

$2M lol?? I doubt that

Reply #603860 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Demopoulos is running his team into the ground, so I don't think anyone can say 'blind freddy could coach a stacked team to a win'.

Reply #603861 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As I said in the other thread yesterday, Sydney are the only team without a weakness. They're strong at everything.

Reply #603862 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

You're kidding right?
Newley - 300k
Lisch - 300k
Maric - 200k
Blake - 30k month = 150-180k
Powell - 200k
Whittington - 150k
Cadee - 120k
Khazzouh - 200k
And about 3/4 50-70k players

Reply #603863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu- Vickerman is their defensive coach so that's no surprise.

Reply #603864 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

They're not strong at revenue.
Have you seen that crowd?? Lol

Reply #603865 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

Yeah but Demopolous can't coach

Reply #603866 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Hmm yeh it adds up lol... I doubt Whittington is on $150k. But maybe the other numbers are close

Reply #603867 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

From my sources Vickerman pretty much coaches the team...he definitely runs the practices as I've been to some to watch. Gaze is a figure head...an expensive figure head getting 400k

Reply #603868 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

Whittington is on let's say 15-20k US a month? Here for 8months so works out to be about 150k

Reply #603869 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

Kings are way over cap, poor fanbase, fairweather fans in a smoggy city, rich owner who wants to buy a championship.

Reply #603870 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, a lot of toss talk in this thread.

Vickerman is not coaching...Gaze runs the show.

It's $1.5m roster....similar to United.

Reply #603871 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure I could believe Khazzouh & Maric are on $200K each nor Whittington on $150K.

Reply #603872 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bo Liu action

Reply #603873 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

ROFL, I bet this is your first time on here, you're probably a Kings fan and think you know everything about basketball when you're likely a 12 year old boy 5'5" who can't muster the strength to shoot a 3.

Reply #603874 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lel

Reply #603875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow even Bo aka Salt in the wounds gets on the court.
That's karma, Hawks. That's what happens when you don't all stand for the anthem.

Reply #603877 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

The NBL credited Holyfield for that 3 at the end when it was Clarke...

Reply #603878 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

"LEL" - 12 year old boy for sure, here come all the Kings fans out of the woodwork all of a sudden...

Reply #603879 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

I cant wait until this Kings team absolutely THROTTLES 36ers.
I cant wait until that rubbish 36ers defense gives up the same looks they did on Friday night to the woeful Taipans against Lisch, Cadee, Newley, Blake and Whittington.

Good luck with that.

Reply #603880 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

36ers will thrash the King's, King's have played no one but pretenders so far, easy as piss run. Hopefully Newley gets a good hit on the head (maybe a bit like Glen on the walking dead)

Reply #603881 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Strewth kids... discuss the game, not each other! Talk about word pollution

Reply #603882 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Very Un Illawarra, un Bevo coached team like performance. Say what you like about the talent the Kings have assembled but they let Hill, Prewster and Garlepp come into the game in the 1st half and make plays and just roll over them.
Nice win

Reply #603883 | Report this post

Ceres 72  
Years ago

ROFL you honestly think Gaze runs the show? Lol. You really have no idea! Go watch a Kings practice and get back to us on here

Reply #603884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"King's have played no one but pretenders so far"

Yes, in the same sense that Michael Phelps raced no one but pretenders in Rio.

Reply #603886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have a team full of pussies, Cadee being the biggest

Reply #603888 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

3rd Q was probably the best Kings performance I've since the title years. Crowd was just over 4k, not as bad as it looks in that arena.

Reply #603890 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good analysis, anon.

Reply #603891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

violet crumbles, poor crowd numbers, see they're just a garbage franchise run by a fuckwit with money who tries so hard and spends so much, yet they can't even muster a decent crowd. A city of 4.8 million, that can't even manage a consistent crowd of 6,000. Piss poor.

Reply #603892 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

Hahahaha love the violent crumbles reference. Shit chocolate bar just perfect for a shit team.

Reply #603893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yay. The crazies that have been dormant for 10 years are waking up again now that the Kings are looking like a top team again.

Reply #603894 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

more like those who are fans of decent franchises are coming out to hate on a shit franchise like the kings.

Reply #603897 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh dear, some butthurt anon Hawks fans here. :(

Reply #603899 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Obviously I don't follow the Kings, but who cares?

I've been here a lot longer than you, but who cares?

I'm likely much older than you, but who cares?

Reply #603900 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

I wish I could say I'm a hawks fan but no... sorry try again

Reply #603901 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

*Gets Popcorn*

Reply #603903 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Hawks won't make the top 4. Rotnei playing like ass.. They will be 1-7 very soon

Reply #603906 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

Rotnei only looked good in a weak year for shooters. People have scouted him, he's so inconsistent from anywhere but 3 and when they run him off the 3pt line, like they have been doing, he enters struggle town. Adds nothing but pitiful defense when his shot is not dropping, pretty average playmaker - 100% James Ennis should have taken his MVP.

Reply #603908 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually Marvelle Harris is the one who has fallen away badly.

Reply #603911 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

ROFL is the worst poster here, and that's saying something. Go back to 4chan you absolute tard

Reply #603914 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

*ROUND OF APPLAUSE* well done Hogwash

Reply #603915 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

4000 is a decent crowd on a Monday night. NRL monday night crowds were often not much higher. Atmsosphere in the venue was good.

Sydney were impressive... whittington looks like he could take over a game, but is content to be the second or third option as well.

Reply #603916 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

4,000 when NOTHING else is going on, on a Monday night? Get lost - if it wasn't for their rich meathead owner they'd have folded ages ago. city of nearly 5 million and you cannot even manage a 6,000 strong average. That is some joke level shit right there!

Reply #603921 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hogwash and crusty have been juggling each other.

Reply #603922 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

0.082% of the city population attended the game...

what a joke.

Reply #603925 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

12 year old making a 12 year (potentially homophobic) joke - this kid's on fire! It's passed his bedtime though...

Reply #603926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us more about the crowd, juggler. Pretty please.

Reply #603927 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

Crowd - a large number of people gathered together in a disorganized or unruly way.

there you go, all you had to do is type crowd into google and you would find the definition.

Reply #603929 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Someone send me a message,I'll return when this forum becomes tolerable again.

Reply #603932 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Sydney roosters get 6k on Monday night. Their Salary cap is $6-7M... Australians just don't go out on Monday nights, especially in Sydney... True test is this Sunday against bullets- no excuses if crowd is under 8k.. This team is just so good, blakes first game too.. In fact, you'd think 8k should be the minimum

Reply #603934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you helped create this atmosphere with your idiotic statements yesterday. They may be on the mark sure.

But you like everyone doesn't really know shit about how this season will pan lut. Its closer than it has been for a long time.

Btw sydney do look damn good

Reply #603935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings train 99% of time at qudos arena, you can't get in with out a pass, so anyone saying they watched training are talking out there back side. Gaze is running the show believe it, dean and Leonard are very good assistants. They've put a good side together but it's early days and 4000 for Sydney crowd on a Monday night is very good.

Reply #603937 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gaze may be unproven but he hasn't done a lot wrong so far.
If he is making the most of his assistants then that doesn't take the gloss off what he is doing, it just makes him smart.

Reply #603938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has talent, unlike his seabl side.

Reply #603966 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Bottom line is the Hawks turned it up like sooks. They are the first team you can rule out for the title.

Reply #603978 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

lets be real the vick is the real coach and Gaze the motivator.For now it is a brilliant mix in my opinion.Gaze is learning on the job and I think he has the makings of a pretty solid coach.

Reply #603992 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

It makes little difference if Mickey Mouse is out the back coaching them it is what we see on the floor, and that looks pretty good to me. Josh Powell, consummate pro. No ego 16 points a night guaranteed in 20 minutes too. Withington could explode for anything.
Tom Garlepp will be in line for 6th,7th or 8th man off the bench.
Chuck in Khazzouh and they will contain everyone except maybe Perth. That could be a good one.

Reply #604037 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Chuck in Khazzouh and they will contain everyone except maybe Perth.
What makes you think Perth would be significantly tougher than anyone else?

Reply #604086 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wow... plenty of fuckwits in here on both sides of whatever arguments are going on...

I love this whole "city of nearly 5 million people" shit from people who obviously have no understanding of how big Sydney actually is and what they're up against...

Sydney is traditionally an NRL town... there are 500 NRL teams in here all with their rabid fanbase that either haven't been exposed to basketball or think of it as a sissy option because it doesn't have grown men running around in short shorts tackling each other... Combine that with the absolute mess that past owners and management have left the team in and there is a LOT of work to do... They're working hard off the court and there are noticeable changes around the city, but it won't just happen like flicking on a light switch...

Weeknights are tough in any sport, but especially in a city the size of Sydney... I luckily only work until 5, but still have to travel for nearly an hour home, then drive 45mins (if I'm lucky) to the game... And that's just me, I'd never take the family on a weeknight... Public transport is an issue when there isn't anything else running out at Homebush, it's a bit of a dodgy spot on a specialised line off the main circuit, so for people north and south, trains are out of the question as an option...

These are all factors at the best of times, so 4000 on a Monday night at this point in the season is pretty good... I agree with lawsy that anything less than 8k on Sunday will be a let down though... Need to be pushing this real hard...

But back on topic to the actual game... Was awesome to watch... 4th quarter fell off the rails a bit before the development players got on, and I think I lost count at 5 shot clock violations, but still, the team just clicked at both ends... I can't remember seeing the Hawks throw as many passes away as they did in that game... They just looked soft... Started off great, but what happened to AJ? Only played 28mins and after scoring 15 in the firs thalf, only managed 5 more? It's like he disappeared...

Rotnei showing his frustration at not being able to shoot the lights out like usual... He's certainly looking much less of an MVP than he did where he was clearly the top player on a weak team last time... Going after Tommy while he was laying on the court after being taken out was a grub move, even if he did slightly retaliate against Coenraad, which, considering the shot he had just taken, was fair enough...

Couldn't really separate Newls and Lisch for MVP, both played awesome at both ends, was great seeing Newley's passion and buy-in, which didn't look like was there in the pre-season, so I'm glad it's clicked for him...

Reply #604101 | Report this post

Crusty Juggler  
Years ago

wookie you're a turnip - NRL is finished for the season and even the NRL teams can't manage more than 16,000 a game you spud. it's a city of 5 million, it's the NRL offseason ya. Just accept Sydney is a pathetic state for sport. What can you expect from a city that loves rugby...

Lisch and Newls for MVP, you're off your meds - never seen someone make a prediction like that, you have not even watched a game of basketball this year but the King's games, have you?? No. Maybe you should be looking at the way Jerome Randle and Casey Prather are playing and how they are strides ahead of Lisch and Spud Newley. I hope you meant MVP of that one game because otherwise you should b

Reply #604102 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm so excited to find out what the rest of that post is!

Reply #604104 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... yeah, maybe his mum busted him for being up late on a school night? Spud? turnip? I'll take the spud, but that turnip is fighting words, you brussels sprout...

Ok, just a few things, as I'm assuming English might not be your first language... It's Wookiee, with a double E... I know, it's a little thing, and you're probably one of those people that spell it Damien Martin, but when you're criticising someone, it's important to get the details right and NOT look like a fuckwit...

Secondly, Sydney is a CITY, not a state... Unless you're not up to geography at big school yet?

Thirdly, "rugby" is the common name for Rugby Union, not League... Union has a presence here in Sydney no doubt, but I'm sure you were referring to Rugby League and not union... Again, minor things, but just a heads up for the ignorant...

You're right to a certain degree though, Sydney IS a tough CITY to get people to turn out to sporting events, mostly for the reasons that I mentioned above (along with high costs), in what I thought was an easy to understand way... Maybe you missed that bit while you were polishing your bogan uggies and slagging off anyone who was disagreeing with you?

And yes, I DID mean MVP of the game, I should have been more specific and said player of the game for those with half a brain...

Reply #604117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754